Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have been riding my 2003 SV1000S for nearly five years now. It's converted to solo, and frankly, I can't see riding two up on it at all. My wife asked me if we could look into adding a cruiser to the stable so we can go on trips together. I can't argue adding a second bike to the collection! While I started my quest to research which bikes are in my budget and comfort, I stumbled across the Vulcan. I found the 900 classic LT first and thought it would be more than good enough. I see people doing a few modifications, that I frankly rather not deal with. This will be intended just for the wife and I, while my SV will be my never ending project bike/corner carver. I found a local sale for a 2009 Nomad. While I am use to Japanese reliability, it has 54K miles on it. I'm typically not bothered by this, I'm at 48K miles on the SV. However, I wanted to reach out to the community and inquire if you, as owners, would buy a Nomad with that kind of mileage, or search for a better deal.

Thanks for your time,

Eli

·
Registered
490 Posts
Hello,

I have been riding my 2003 SV1000S for nearly five years now. It's converted to solo, and frankly, I can't see riding two up on it at all. My wife asked me if we could look into adding a cruiser to the stable so we can go on trips together. I can't argue adding a second bike to the collection! While I started my quest to research which bikes are in my budget and comfort, I stumbled across the Vulcan. I found the 900 classic LT first and thought it would be more than good enough. I see people doing a few modifications, that I frankly rather not deal with. This will be intended just for the wife and I, while my SV will be my never ending project bike/corner carver. I found a local sale for a 2009 Nomad. While I am use to Japanese reliability, it has 54K miles on it. I'm typically not bothered by this, I'm at 48K miles on the SV. However, I wanted to reach out to the community and inquire if you, as owners, would buy a Nomad with that kind of mileage, or search for a better deal.

Thanks for your time,

Eli
It really depends on the price. I see a fair number of low-mileage Nomads and Vulcan 1500s around here for cheap.

-John

·
Registered
490 Posts
Found this one:

2005 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad

It's a little older than you're lookin at, but way fewer miles, looks to be in great shape, and is even a little cheaper. The pricing goes between this and 6 grand around here, depending on year/mileage.

-John

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Ditto on the color !! My 2012 Nomad is a twin!!

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
must be that I am a long way away, they looked the same to me, might be different in Asia/Europe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Well, took the 900 and the 1700 for a test ride friday. Absolutely love the 1700 nomad. The 900 was okay, but not what I'm looking for in a cruiser. Went back Saturday and took the 1700 nomad home. This thing, is insanely comfortable.
Great choice,went from a 9 to a nad,as u said,,,,,Insanely comfortable,love the 9 butt as u said:grin2::grin2:

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
This thing, is insanely comfortable.
I couldn't agree more with that comment. I feel better getting off my 2011 Nomad after a few hours than I feel getting out of my car. The ride is actually plush if you get the spring, air shocks, and tire pressure right.

I've got a compression fracture in the middle of my back. My theory is that the little vibe from the VTwin is just the right amount of massage, and the seat plus shocks treats the backside with compassion.

Every now and then I'm tempted to rent a Road King to see if I like it any better (for about 75% more in price). I doubt it.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I couldn't agree more with that comment. I feel better getting off my 2011 Nomad after a few hours than I feel getting out of my car. The ride is actually plush if you get the spring, air shocks, and tire pressure right.

I've got a compression fracture in the middle of my back. My theory is that the little vibe from the VTwin is just the right amount of massage, and the seat plus shocks treats the backside with compassion.

Every now and then I'm tempted to rent a Road King to see if I like it any better (for about 75% more in price). I doubt it.
I owned an'09 Nomad, and put 60,000 miles on the Voyager. Just bought a '17 Road King. It is not 75% cost better, but it has features I can't get with a Nomad, and is designed to use better tires.
The quick release features are what sold me. Load it up for touring, get to destination, and strip it down for local riding.
Riding position is a personal preference, but I prefer the ride position on the Road King. The engine is smoother under load than the nomad too.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
I owned an'09 Nomad, and put 60,000 miles on the Voyager. Just bought a '17 Road King. It is not 75% cost better, but it has features I can't get with a Nomad, and is designed to use better tires.
The quick release features are what sold me. Load it up for touring, get to destination, and strip it down for local riding.
Riding position is a personal preference, but I prefer the ride position on the Road King. The engine is smoother under load than the nomad too.
Interesting! I'm curious how the new 107 compares with the Ivanized 1700. Was your Voyager Ivanized? Is the 107 tuned better from the factory than the lousy 1700 tune?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts