Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I've been slowly making my 900 custom the way I want and my next addition is a solo fender rack. Looking for any info I can find on what fits the 900 custom fender curve. Looking for first hand experience but all suggestions are appreciated. Pics are of bike as it sits now.....

I like the look of the show chrome rack for the yammie 650...any suggestions?

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sportster rack (first link) looks like it could be exactly what I am looking for. I prefer the look of the rack mounted directly to the fender so I have resigned myself to the fact that I will have to drill holes in the fender to mount it up.

Would also be a good candidate to add a fender bib underneath it as well.

Thanks for the link!

·
Registered
427 Posts
This is not my bike, but I have the same model, and just installed my fender rack last week. It requires three holes in the fender -- two under the seat for the front of the rack, and one in the rear for the back.

They have it in chrome:

...or black to match your bike:

It's the Triumph Thunderbird 1600/1700 Chrome Single Seat Rack Pressed, part # A9758102. Can't say for sure it'd fit the VN900, but the dimensions of the two fenders look about the same.

EDIT:

Here's my bike, and will give you an idea what the rack looks like when there are no bags (like yours):

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a nice look. Especially how the bottom is curved to match the tail light. How much clearance do you have from the fender to the rack? It looks like it's pretty low to the fender.

·
Registered
427 Posts
That's a nice look. Especially how the bottom is curved to match the tail light. How much clearance do you have from the fender to the rack? It looks like it's pretty low to the fender.
Without measuring, I'm guessing it's about a half-inch...enough to get a strap or bungee cord underneath, not enough to slide a finger under.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think that is the style I'm going to go with. I like the look and it's functional. I will be using it to carry some stuff from time to time.

The distance from the back of my Saddlemen solo seat and my tail light is only 7 1/4" measured so I think that one might be a tad too long being 11". I do believe I need the Raider rack to fit the HD Sportster which is shorter with only 7" between the mounting holes.

This one HERE

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fender rack finally got here. Need to replace that white nylon washer with a black one Thanks all for the suggestions.

Next up are the LED driving lamps and rear turn signals

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nice! I'm thinking of doing the same on my 900 custom. Did you just drill through the plastic fender or did you manage to drill into the support frame under the fender, too?

Just wondering how strong the plastic would be holding any weight all by itself.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I just drilled through the fender. I put some larger washers underneath to widen the footprint of the bolt. It's on there pretty solid and it seems strong to me. That said, I just did it and haven't put it through its paces yet.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Giving this thread a bump. I'm really wanting a tubular chrome fender rack on my classic, for aesthetics not function. Someone above posted that they've seen this one on a 900...[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Raider-77-0073-Solo-Seat-Luggage/dp/B004MWS8B0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415543610&sr=8-1&keywords=raider+77-0073[/ame] and I think EJW may have actually put it on his bike (I'm not sure because of the apparent distance between mounting bolts in his pictures).

Any other suggestions, tips or especially pictures would be welcome!

Thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is the rack I used but I got mine on eBay and it is powder coated black . Not sure about the Classic but on the Custom, I measured from the back of my Renegade Solo seat (just under the seat tip - the mounting bolt is hidden under there) to the top of the rear tail light and got 7 1/4 inches. So left me with one choice, the rack that measured 7" from hole to hole.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I purchased the Raider 77-0073B but I haven't fitted it yet. I think I made a foobar and should have purchased the chrome one instead.... Anyway, when shoved up against a Will & Max solo seat on a Custom it looks like this;

Hope that helps....

·
Registered
409 Posts
I purchased the Raider 77-0073B but I haven't fitted it yet. I think I made a foobar and should have purchased the chrome one instead.... Anyway, when shoved up against a Will & Max solo seat on a Custom it looks like this;

Hope that helps....
Thanks Splatt! That's EXACTLY what I was looking for! Great picture! It looks like the curve of the fender is a pretty good match to the curve of the rack, right?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Hi folks, I've been slowly making my 900 custom the way I want and my next addition is a solo fender rack. Looking for any info I can find on what fits the 900 custom fender curve. Looking for first hand experience but all suggestions are appreciated. Pics are of bike as it sits now.....

I like the look of the show chrome rack for the yammie 650...any suggestions?

[/URL][/IMG]

I see you have the road six custom handlebars. Do you like them? What size are yours?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts