Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Vulcan 2000 from 2008. It is NOT the classic/LT.

I've been searching for a windshield, but all I can find is stuff like "stock replacement" and "fits existing hardware". I cannot find any mounting hardware anywhere.

I've looked on Kawasaki's site, fleabay, amazon, jpcycles, cheatcycleparts, cyclepartsnation, etc, etc, and simply cannot find the mounts. The ones I'm looking for are the fork mount that transition to a vertical bracket, which attaches to the windsheild.

I want one that has mounts like this and looks like this, but not as tall:

I DON'T want this:

Do these simply not exist?

Am I stuck buying one that has the horrible looking (to me) horizontal bracket?

Does anyone know of any other solution?

·
Registered
991 Posts
I have a Memphis Shade on my 04 and if memory serves, the mounts were from Custom World. They mount on the two large bolts on the sides of the forks where it looks like your lowers attach.
Alternatively, the mounting brackets for a Heritage Soft-tail classic are very similar and only requires the drilling of the top hole. I am at work so sadly no pics from here.....:devil2:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I won't be able to mount anything on my forks. I'd have to remove the stock black cowling, and I don't know if what is under there is meant to be "shown" if you know what I mean.

Check the pics (just got back from ride, bike is a bit dirty):
https://imgur.com/a/zzMEs99

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have the 2005 version of this style and also interested in available windshields.
I am surprised at how little info, discussion, and videos there are for this topic.

I found that basically, fork mounts will not work, unless you want to remove and mess with that cowling/headlight cover I mentioned. Fork mounts for our bike may exist, but I have not found them anywhere.

So, handlebar mounted windshields should be ok. I measured the best I could, and I believe the stock handlebars are 1" diameter.

I searched around under those parameters, and the best looking, IMO of course, was the one I linked in post #4 here (clear version). I ordered it today, so we'll see how it works out. I'll post some pics if it fits like I hope it will.

Edit: I found this video that has good shots of the fork mounts for a 2004. I just can't find them anywhere. They look like the bolt on to the *outside* of the fork covering/cowl/thing.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am surprised at how little info, discussion, and videos there are for this topic.

I found that basically, fork mounts will not work, unless you want to remove and mess with that cowling/headlight cover I mentioned. Fork mounts for our bike may exist, but I have not found them anywhere.

So, handlebar mounted windshields should be ok. I measured the best I could, and I believe the stock handlebars are 1" diameter.

I searched around under those parameters, and the best looking, IMO of course, was the one I linked in post #4 here (clear version). I ordered it today, so we'll see how it works out. I'll post some pics if it fits like I hope it will.

Edit: I found this video that has good shots of the fork mounts for a 2004. I just can't find them anywhere. They look like the bolt on to the *outside* of the fork covering/cowl/thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLRUnmP1s4g
yes...please post pics when you're done. I will probably have to do something similar as well. thank you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
So I've mounted the Memphis Shades Demon, and gone on a few short rides. I had to adjust it quite a bit to get it as high as I could, that is, get the top of the windshield about level with my upper lip / nose area. I got a lot of buffeting, but after adjusting, may have it at an acceptable level. I'll have to ride more to see if it is ok long term.

I will post a video of the ordeal either today or tomorrow. (Edit: Video is up. Most of it is about the parts and install. The "walk around" starts at about 14:30. Link:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Also, I've found a Nation Cycle windshield mount that appears will work with my bike. I found it at J&P cycles. Here is the link: https://www.jpcycles.com/product/zz75563/national-cycle-switchblade-windshield-mount-kit

If you follow that link, and look at the pdf instructions, it shows that it mounts to the outside of the fork, but not via a clamp. Clamps won't work on the V2K (non classic/lt).

If the Demon doesn't work out, I will probably give a National Cycle windshield a try.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
video error. will not play
Hm. I dunno. It plays within the frame if I click on it from the forums, and it plays ok if I access it directly through Youtube.

If you google "Frantic Uploader", the first result should be my YouTube Channel. The V2K vid should be first on the page for uploads.

If it still doesn't work for you, I'll try to pull some still pics from the video so at least you can see a pic.

Edit: Here are some pics in case the folks can't access the video for some reason:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok, how do you like the handlebar mounts? Did the mounting hardware come with it or was it sold separately?
I would call the handle bar mounts I got 'high quality'. They are highly adjustable and allow for a lot of different angles and heights for the windshield. They were very easy to install, and the kit came with the needed allen wrench. The mounting kit came with the windshield in this case.

When mounted, I have no concerns that the windshield will move or give way while I am riding. I have gone around 70 mph, and it doesn't wiggle at all that I noticed. It does vibrate with the handlebars when I'm stopped though, which is kind of amusing.

I am 5' 11", maybe 6' tall. I am using the stock seat still, at the moment. My only concern with the windshield/mounts is that I will not be able to angle/mount the windshield high enough to get rid of the buffeting I mentioned on my helmet. Other than that, I am very satisfied with the purchase.

How good or bad it looks on the bike is a matter of opinion of course, and I think it looks ok/not bad, although maybe it looks too small for the bike? I dunno, as I said, I never had a windshield on it before, so...

I'm going for another ride tomorrow (Friday). I think I have the windshield at the max height I can get it. If that's the case, and the buffeting still bothers me, I may take it off and try the other windshield I mentioned (it's bigger/taller). I will keep you up to date.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Let's talk lowers. I ordered them today. Here's why.

I saw on a couple you tube videos where people were talking about how lowers can reduce helmet buffer. I was skeptical.

One Aussie went so far as to build/install wood lowers as a test. He claimed it made a big difference, and his vid of before/after and how his mic sounded was somewhat convincing, for his bike of course.

Also, MCrider, a lic instructor did a vid about buffeting, and mention a way to check. Basically, you put your hand down by where air comes from the fork area at the front of the gas tank. If that makes a difference, you may benefit from lowers.

Well, I did this test today, and it made a big difference, which was a little surprising. I tried my best to make sure I wasn't changing my head position while doing the test. After a few tests, I was doing it just to experience the big difference it made. And that was with just one side, as obviously, I can't check both sides at once.

So I went online and ordered the mounts/lowers fro J&P cycles ($311, ouch). If they make the difference I am expecting, it will be well worth it. Here are links to what I ordered:
Mounts: https://www.jpcycles.com/product/zz75563/national-cycle-switchblade-windshield-mount-kit
Lowers: https://www.jpcycles.com/product/zz75257/national-cycle-lower-deflectors
No pics on J&P, but they look like the ones in this pic:

Of course with anything like this, your mileage may vary. But this was my experience.

Edit: One thing I meant to mention. The mounts for these lowers are the switchblade mounts. That's nice, because if I decide to get a different windshield later, I won't have to buy the mounts, since National Cycle offers a few windshields that work with that mount. Bonus.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,910 Posts
Sorry, been out of town the past week (Cancun)

yea.. I have the national cycle lower and windshield. I only use them on long trips. Pretty easy to simply remove everything.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry, been out of town the past week (Cancun)

yea.. I have the national cycle lower and windshield. I only use them on long trips. Pretty easy to simply remove everything.
Cancun...nice!

So, here come some questions :) ...

Do you find the lowers do help with buffeting?
Is that the 2UP NC switchblade windshield, and if not, which one is it?
Do you look through the windshield, or over the top of it?
Is that the stock seat?
I want those pipes. I looked around for something like them, but Cobra doesn't show anything like that for a V2K. What pipes are they?

Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts