Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time to replace the back tire on my Vulcan 1600 Nomad, and I am interested in some advice. Looking around this and other forums, I'm led to believe Metezlers is the way to go. I'm not sure if anyone around here sells Metezlers, so would like some advice on other good choices for my bike, including model numbers.
Thanks,
Cannuk.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Metzlers are the 1st that come to mind, that being said, I've heard alot of good things about the Avon's as well.

·
Administrator
11,997 Posts
I bought my Nomad used and thought I had made a mistake. It handled so bad but after putting on new Metz's, oh my gawd, the bike is a corning machine now! :D I had the same experience when I put them on my Honda Sabre. The change to the Metz's can be so dramatic, you have to be careful for a bit because in my case, I tended to oversteer like I had to with the old tires. Can't go wrong with the Metz or Avons

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking for tire advice

Thanks to all who responded, but now I have a further question. I'm pretty much convinced Metezler is the way to go, so I just phoned the shop and they said Metezler doesn't make a 170/70-16, which is what's on the rear wheel now (it's a 06 Vulcan Nomad 1600). He says you can usually go up one size, in this case to a 80-16, but he says his book doesn't specify that you can with this particular bike. So my further question is - can I? MN, you mention putting them on your Nomad - what size (rear tire)?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking for tire advice

150-80. Then that's even smaller than origional equipment. And you said you were very pleased, so now my question is about the pros and cons of going both smaller and larger, all in the context of what will fit on my particular bike. Trying to get educated here before I make a purchase.
Thanks,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looking for tire advice

Update - I ended up buying a Metzler, which means I went up size. Very pleased with it, but as a result I now have a radial (the Metz) on the rear and the original equipment bias ply on the front. Still handles better than it did before the but I'm told I shouldn't be using both. I'll probably put a matching Metz on the front when the time comes. Meantime, is it really that big a deal that both tires aren't radials or bias ply's?

·
Registered
59 Posts
same question different bike

I'm running an 06 VN900LT and it's time for a new skin on the rear. I know I'm upsizing from the OEM 180/70-15 to 210/?-15 to sort out the speedo being out but have the same question as Cannuck as far as Manufacturer. I was a staunch Pirelli man back in the day (crotch-rocket era) but everyone is telling me to go with Michelin or Bridegstone. :confused: Has anybody run anything besides the Metz and what are their thoughts?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts