Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put the bags that came with my Vulcan when I bought it a couple of weeks ago back on the bike. They aren't the ugliest bags, but they are bigger than what I need for day to day use, and their uslefullness is somewhat limited by the fact that I can't lock them! They are held shut by velcro, there is nowhere to rig a lock. Why does it seem so many leather saddlebags are not lockable - this should be a standard feature!! Here are the bags that I have (I found them on kijiji but like I said, mine came with the bike): http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-motorcycle-parts-accessories-Traditions-saddle-bags-Honda-Yamaha-Suzuki-Kawasaki-NEW-W0QQAdIdZ395167783

Indeed, I went for a ride with the wife last night to a local coffee shop and I couldn't even lock the helmets up, we had to carry them in!

Anyway here's what I'm looking for to fit my 2006 Vulcan Classic - I want a solo (left side) saddlebag that looks like a messenger bag with retro but basic styling, in black, that is a bit bigger than a swing arm bag, but hugs the contours of the bike or compliments them nicely, and is big enough to fit a 17" laptop, and can be easily locked to the bike and has a lockable cargo area, that can be easily removed from the bike and carried as a messenger bag to the office and then strapped back on as needed...

Too much to ask? The closest I find is the leatherworks solo bag that is designed for the Harley Dyna: http://www.sideroadcycles.com/ImportedMotorcycles/Leatherworks/Dyna_Solo_Saddlebag.html

Can anyone suggest something similar that will work with the Vulcan meet my needs above :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Have you looked into tail bags? That's what I'm ordering next week. I hate the looks of saddle bags. But I got a custom too.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I think you are asking too much. If it is easliy removed from the bike, it's probably not gonna be real secure. If you are just trying to lock something small like a laptop why don't you just take it with you? I've often thought about adding a security hook that you could attach to the frame of the bike that you could lock stuff to (via a cable lock) while leaving that item in the saddlebag.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you looked into tail bags? That's what I'm ordering next week. I hate the looks of saddle bags. But I got a custom too.
Not really the look i'm going for.....I think a nice solo bag can really compliment the bike if I find what i'm looking for...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you are asking too much. If it is easliy removed from the bike, it's probably not gonna be real secure. If you are just trying to lock something small like a laptop why don't you just take it with you? I've often thought about adding a security hook that you could attach to the frame of the bike that you could lock stuff to (via a cable lock) while leaving that item in the saddlebag.
Definetly I am asking too much...I'm really going for the look first, I can live with it staying on the bike, but there are removable bags out there..I found a bracket but I don't know how it works, what bags it works with and how it works with the Vulcan...

There are some nice saddlbe bags, solo bags and other types of bags out there but you don't really know how it will look on the Vulcan unless someone here posts a pic!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Also, I'm having a hard time imagining a 17" laptop fitting in the bag you linked to, because of the angles of the bag.

I recently bought an 11" netbook and was surprised to find the box, which is probably about the same size as a 17" laptop in a sleeve, wouldn't fit in my 21" x 11" x 7.5" saddlebags because of the "teardrop" shape. Unfortunately, the form or styling of bags takes away from the function. A perfectly square box would probably be the most functional. You'll just have to decide the balance of form -vs- function that suits you best

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, I'm having a hard time imagining a 17" laptop fitting in the bag you linked to, because of the angles of the bag.

I recently bought an 11" netbook and was surprised to find the box, which is probably about the same size as a 17" laptop in a sleeve, wouldn't fit in my 21" x 11" x 7.5" saddlebags because of the "teardrop" shape. Unfortunately, the form or styling of bags takes away from the function. A perfectly square box would probably be the most functional. You'll just have to decide the balance of form -vs- function that suits you best
I had to go to the office to pick up my laptop today...it barely fit in my existing bags, but it did - but without any sort of bag to carry it after!

I think I found what I'm looking for, leatherworks bags with easy brackets...this bag looks ok, it's not angled too much and the easy bracket system will meet my needs: http://leatherworksinc.com/120.php

Link brings you to the bag page, click on easy brackets on the left to learn about how they work - there is a video too..

Thinking about it, after watching the video, there is no reason why you coudn't use easy brackets with any generic leather bag (no necessarily a motorcycle bag)...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts