Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after about 6 weeks of having my V2K it is time to do the resistor mod to really unleash the beast in 1st-3rd. It seems like there used to be a lot of people with a lot of extra resistors. Does anyone have any extra resistors I can send a stamped envelope to so I don't have to order 1000 of them? Also does anyone have a direct link to the harness so I can easily swap back to stock? Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Also I am a little confused if I need a 432 ohm or 442 ohm resistor or if it doesn't matter
The whole idea behind this mod is to remove the gear position sensor from the equation, and replace it with a resistor, to trick the CPU to think it is in 5th all the time, in fifth gear the position sensor reads 437ohms, so ideal that would be what you want. But you will have a hard time finding one. If you can find one somewhere in the range of 430 to 445 it will work.
go to http://www.digikey.com
look up part number: PPC432XCT-ND
that will work you only have to order 1.

·
Registered
53 Posts
How complicated is it to go back to stock if i don't use the harness? Just a matter desoldering and taping it back up with electrical?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Also does anyone have a direct link to the harness so I can easily swap back to stock? Thanks everyone!
Check out this thread. It has a link to a speedo healer harness that has the right connectors on it. The harness seems a bit overpriced, but less than $40 total seems like a good deal to unleash the beast and still have the option of going back to stock. I will probably go this route when I get around to it.

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155698

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I did it with the harness, and I think it's the way to go. What I did was buy several resistors (I think I bought 10). I couldn't bring myself to pay $6 shipping on a 30¢ part. Then, whenever I saw a thread on the resistor mod, I offered to mail one to whoever needed it. Now it's your turn to be the resistor guy.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that harness has a small slit (crack) in it.

Go to their actual web site and find it there.
Well I figured I would cut the majority of the wire out since it doesn't need to be that long. I'm just not sure if those are the right harness ends/connectors. I'm cheap so looking for a way to save hah.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Well after about 6 weeks of having my V2K it is time to do the resistor mod to really unleash the beast in 1st-3rd. It seems like there used to be a lot of people with a lot of extra resistors. Does anyone have any extra resistors I can send a stamped envelope to so I don't have to order 1000 of them? Also does anyone have a direct link to the harness so I can easily swap back to stock? Thanks everyone!
You can order just one resistor from DigiKey for like $0.10, but it'll cost you $2-$3 to have it shipped.

Also, I didn't see what year your bike is. It only works on pre-2007 or maybe it's pre-2008 bikes.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I actually ordered 10 from DigiKey. Then if anyone needs one they can send me a stamped envelope and not have to worry about $4 shipping. I also ordered the harness off eBay. The connections are right and I'll cut most of the wire off anyways. So hopefully by this weekend I'll have it done! I'm pretty impatient to do this, I'm excited to see if it impacts my bike.

Oh by the way it is a 2005 V2K

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got a harness off eBay for $20 and an order of 10 resistors in this morning. After only a few minutes to solder it together and install it on my bike I took a ride. There is definitely more oomph but not as much extra as on the '04 models I am assuming. I can really notice it in 3rd gear now though. So altogether it was definitely worth it.
I have a handful of resistors now if anyone wants one. I have 8 to give out, I'm keeping an extra one for myself.
Here is my harness

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a harness with resistor inline and extra resistors.
I put my harness inline during a September ride in the Kentucky, Ohio area and headed East. Got cold overnight, in the 40's. When I tried to start the '04 Beast, it backfired and had a hard time running. That's when I took the harness off and haven't used it since.
It didn't work well for me in chilly weather. Most postings I see worked best in the warm to hot climates.
PM me if you want it.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Gents.

While we are back on this subject I have heard that on my 09 cannot do this mod. Can anyone confirm or deny this allegation?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you send a stamped envelope to

Regan Pickrel
6201 Swanson Rd
Gillette, WY 82718

I'll mail you a couple. I have 8 left.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Gents.

While we are back on this subject I have heard that on my 09 cannot do this mod. Can anyone confirm or deny this allegation?
I believe this is correct. They changed something about the gear position sensor or something.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Thanks for the reply Bill. I dunno what is the difference though. Did they change the way it got retarded or remove the retardation all together?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts