Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here. I took the MSF class in May, and purchased a 2009 Vulcan Custom SE just 2 weeks ago (having learned a lot on this forum). Have spent those 2 weeks, between rainstorms, practicing. My intention is to commute to work (25 miles each way), and I would have ridden to work last week except that the weather forecast was 40% chance of thunderstorms EVERY DAY.

Riding in the rain is ok if I must, but am hesitant to leave this new (to me) bike just sitting out during a downpour. Should I get a cover for the bike, or cover some key areas, or should I just dry off the seat (etc.) if it rains before I head for home?

I started this post intending to ask for recommendations on a cover, but I will welcome any insights regarding dealing with inopportune weather while riding or waiting to ride.

Thank you for helping to reduce my ignorance.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Rain will not hurt the bike, that being said I have a cove for mine I bought from Wal-Mart. Approx. $50, they have three sizes, sport, cruiser and tourer. I have no dealer closer than 100 miles and did not want to order online and hope .....
The cover even has the hook and eyelet to latch the sides together so it will not blow off. In addition there is a soft part where the cover touches the windshield (prevents scratching).

·
Registered
199 Posts
I use a Bilt motorcycle cover. Got it for $20 at Cycle Gear in store, but they're available on their website too. I did NOT go with the weatherproof, and it still does just fine for keeping the rain out. It also includes the bungee and eyelets to latch it down and prevent it from blowing away.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have a generic Covercraft I bought with the bike that the dealer charged more than it was worth. I tried using the "waterproof" spray on it last year but it's more stiff than protective.

I will be getting the Ultimate cover from here and like the reviews as well as the price.

http://www.carcovers.com/covers/motorcycle/kawasaki/vulcan-900-custom/2012.html

My bike stays outside all the time and even though it should not hurt the bike I would rather have it protected than not. I'm ordering the LT version when I finally get my bags put on since I already have a fairing (I emailed the company and spoke with them about the difference).

·
Registered
159 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts