Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 classic LT 900 that I want to put a light bar on. Have looked at Kawasaki, Cobras and Kuryakan (sic). Looking for recommendations on these or any other brands.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jimbo, I can't seem to find a way to buy from Cobra online. They refer me to a delar listing , and the nearest one is 100 miles away in NY. (No dealers in western Mass). How did yo get yours?

·
Registered
533 Posts
You can get a Cobra from any decent dealer, or check EBay. They seem to be cheapest on there. Also any catalog source will carry them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I'll try e bay

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found on e bay at GM Cycles for $235 w/ free shipping. Thanks. Dealer wanted $350 plus $70 installation and tax. I bought and will install myself. Read directions. Seems simple.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had my dealer install the OE light bar on my LT a year ago right when I got the bike.
I have bought stuff like my Mustang seat at Dennis Kirk and I don't think you will beat their prices on anything. Try them out !!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just be sure when the light bar is installed it is powered off an accessory circuit instead of off the head light. It can be relayed off the head light to come on and off with the light but if powered off the headlight can easily overload the 10 amp circuit.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Found on e bay at GM Cycles for $235 w/ free shipping. Thanks. Dealer wanted $350 plus $70 installation and tax. I bought and will install myself. Read directions. Seems simple.
Yes it is fairly simple, I was even able to do it myself...Ha Ha.:p I got mine through [email protected] for $208. The only thing I found different from their instructions was they said to connect the power wire to the wire in the headlight that is Red with Blue tracer, but on my bike it was actually a White with Blue tracer wire. Don't know if you will find the same thing when you go to do yours, but just thought I'd mention it. Good Luck. And by the way, it reallly looks nice and it really makes a big difference in lighting up the road at night (the main reason I got it).:)

·
Registered
492 Posts
I picked up a Cobra light bar the day I picked up my 900 Custom from the dealer. It was $235. But since I bought the bike there, I get lifetime 10% off all accessories, it was $211.50. Very easy install. I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Just a thought, but if you have a windshield, make sure you do not have clearance issues with the new light bar. I have a Memphis Shades and had trouble finding anything to work. Supposedly there is one by Show Chrome, or something, that will work. But for the money involved I gave up. Instead I went to Wal-mart and bought two chrome driving lights for $19/pair. I then ordered some stainless steel p-clamps and hardware from McMaster Carr. Spent about $40 total. Good thing too. I wrecked it two weeks later and crushed one of the lamps as well as the chrome bar that the stock turn-signals are hooked to. That is where I had mounted it. Once I get it all put back together I will post some pics. The lights really did a great job... before I hit that truck!:eek:

·
Registered
158 Posts
I bought the Baron ultimate light bar which replaces the stock turn signals. It is not a full light bar as it has no bar. Also, you loose the marker light because that is used as the light source and the turn signals is the turn signal wire. I haven't installed mine yet. My bike is in storage till spring rolls around. Here is the product and reviews in Cruiser Customizing. Someone stated on there for install on the 900 to use the Vulcan 1500 install instructions. I will take a pic of my bike with it after I install it.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/detail.cfm?Category_ID=45&manufacturer_ID=167&product_ID=16635&sblid_name=Baron_Custom_Accessories_Ultimate_Light_Bar_for_Kawasaki_Vulcan_1500_Nomad&model_id=0

Here is a picture I found with it installed besides other Baron accessories for the VN900.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I added the Cobra light bar a few weeks after picking up the bike in June 08. Pretty easy install. As stated, light wire color might be different. But, it's easy to figure out. I haven't had an over load issue. But, the way the switch fits into the bar frame, without any insulation, has caused a blown fuse if not careful when washing bike.

I use the bar on high beams during the day, to be seen. Not as much at night, pretty blinding to other drivers. BTW, when I've blown the fuse, I feel pretty naked....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts