Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"07 V2K. I just purchased 16" ape hangers and cables... I removed the windshield, seat, and mirrors... siphoned fuel from tank.... I don't know what to do next....remove tank? remove grips? remove cables/ remove handlebar? any suggestions would be much appreciated...TIA :confused:

·
Registered
445 Posts
I'm in the middle right now transforming a fully decked out 05 to a 14" ape single ride.
Let me ask you ....how did you know what size of cables to buy
before setting up your bars ?
Do you have a classic or standard ?
Are you doing internal wiring ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Paul: I got my stuff from Baron, through CustomCruisers, on Barons site they have different size bars with cables to match,they did all the work..:D I went with 11/4" bars turned down to 1" at the risers, drilled and dimpled .. looking for handlebar wire extensions now... hope this helps..:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Vulcan Apes

Hey Paul

I put 16" Apes on my 900. I got my cables from Barnett... they have really nice cables and also do the automatic sizing online. I reccommend using cruisercustomizing.com or phatperformanceparts.com to buy parts.. haven't had a problem yet... Anywho..

First of all i am by no means an expert... this is just my limited experience with my vn900 talking...

No need to drain or remove the gas tank!!

You should have 3 new lines: Clutch, throttle, brake.

I would leave the current handlebars on and replace all of the cables first. When you have all of your lengthened cables on your stock handlebars... remove the grips and controls. At this point your entire throttle, handle, clutch, brake assemblies should be dangling down beside your front tire. After you've removed everything from your handlebars... PUT YOUR NEW APES ON!!! Adjust them to what is comfortable (i put mine in line with the forks) then put your controls with the elongated cables on! You should be good to go!

*Note: You may have to put the controls onto the handlebars before mounting them onto the forks if your cable length is cutting it close

* Consider unplugging your turn signals, starter (the two black lines running under your gas tank) while mounting the handlebars then re-attaching when you're ready.

Holla if you have any questions...

·
Registered
13 Posts
decisions decisions

I'm in the middle right now transforming a fully decked out 05 to a 14" ape single ride.
Let me ask you ....how did you know what size of cables to buy
before setting up your bars ?
Do you have a classic or standard ?
Are you doing internal wiring ?

If i'm not mistaken.. they come stock with 12" sweepbacks. Armed with that knowledge... Depending on the angle your handlebars are at you may not need to change them with 14's. If you're going for the single seater look i imagine you'll be pushing your handlebars foreward a bit. Depending on the angle your stock cables might fit. Since what you're doing is a bit more custom... i'd set my handlebars where i want them/where they look good and measure the difference from there. Go with Barnett Cables!

·
Registered
445 Posts
six pack..you didn't say which model.
If its the Classic..tank off to get the electrical connectors separated.
Then its off with everything on the bars.
Take your new bars inside and do the interal wiring inside where its nice and cozy.

Your not going to find extended elect. cables. You need to make your own.
Get some 20 gauge wire, heat shrink tubing, soldering gun and a good pair of wire strippers.
If your going to buy the wire stripper. Don't buy the big cheap clumpy ones.
Go for the smallest ones you can find.
Much easier to work with. Goggle western union wire connection... stagger your cuts or you'll get screwed
when you try to fish the wiring through your bars. Use dental floss and a vacuem cleaner.
Oh Ya ! DO NOT FORGET to mount your clutch assembly before you start soldering your connectors on to the left side.
And there is a whole bunch of other stuff too.
Just ask...I'm finished mine. I just have to install the throttles and the brake line.
Just to freakin cold right now to do it.

On a side note. Doesn't NB have bar height restrictions ?
That why I went 14. I need to still keep them down more than I would like.
Just to stay in the 15" above compressed seat law here in Ontario.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Paul.. Mine is a Classic,,, I have it stored in my HEATED basement...:D I don't know the height restrictions in N.B. and I can't seem to find anyone who does with some certainty, so I'll try the 16"..;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
While I'm at it... how in the heck :mad: do you check the coolant level in the reserve tank... I can't even find the damm thing..???? :confused:

·
Registered
91 Posts
While I'm at it... how in the heck :mad: do you check the coolant level in the reserve tank... I can't even find the damm thing..???? :confused:
Down under the seat on the left side behind the crankcase cover is a black filler neck. That's the tank. The sight glass is down by the lower frame rail. There ya go.

·
Registered
445 Posts
If that plastic clear tube is claudy and you can't see through it.
Get a white tie-wrap or something along those lines and stick it in and pull it out
to see where the level is at. Coolant is green. So it should show up on
whatever you stick in there.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
there has to be something wrong with me:( I still can't find it:mad: I checked the service manual , it showed a picture... still can't see it,,, then it says " muffler removed for clarity" what the hell does that mean?? is it behind the muffler??:confused:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks Paul,, thats a "yepper",, I found it and used a tie wrap as suggested,, it goes in a long way, some green stuff on the end, how much should I see??,,, thanks again..:D

·
Registered
445 Posts
Take a close look at the side of the black plastic tank.
It will have markings on it. You just need to gauge it by the
line you get on your tie-wrap.

Make sure that your bike is leveled and not leaning in any directions
( forward-back or side )

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is impossible to see the tank with stock mufflers, I even crawled under the bike but to no avail :(. I guess my thiking will be" if there is stuff showing on the tie wrap , there is enough stuff in the tank" :). now I will get back to the apes and lines :rolleyes: thanks ....

·
Registered
445 Posts
The plastic tank had a lip that sticks out that goes around the whole tank
It should help you determine where your at with the level. Feel it out and then guage it against the tie-wrap.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts