Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I like the looks of this one a little bit more.

Btw, I've been shifting gears according to what the manual from Kawasaki says, but it seems kinda weird to shift into 6th gear at 36mph. It seems like I'm barely using any of the gears in between. Anyone got any advice as to where about they are shifting?

I've been told just to feel it out, but this is my first bike, so I'm kinda clueless. It doesn't seem to lug at all based on what the manual says. But I've been a little spooked about redlining it.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I shift where conditions suggest. The speeds in the owner's manual are, for me, geared (sorry for the pun) towards relaxed riding. For example: for more aggressive riding 2nd gear can be stretched to over 50mph.

Overrevving the engine just doesn't happen. And lugging the engine can cause issue with engine's bottom end. (i.e. crankshaft and bearings)

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Dont go by the manual for gear shifts.
Its to protect themselves from a lawsuit.
You should NOT be in 6th that soon, and yes it is lugging and not doing your engine any good.

ALSO dont look at the speedo to determine when to shift.
You have way more important things going on then to look down at the speedo.
Keep the engine reving and shift when it feels right. That feel will come after practice.

For example you could shift into 3rd at 30 mph or you could shift at 50 mph - it all depends on the situation
and how fast you need to go!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I've been letting her rip a bit more, and I'm totally getting a feel the feel of it. Lol, I forgot that this is a sport bike engine in a cruiser frame. The past two days of riding have been much more enjoyable.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would ignore the advice from the manual that sounds way too low.

Which size front sprocket do you have? I switched to a 17t on the front (up from the standard 16) and the gearing makes much more sense with the 17, it makes 1st into a useable gear and 6 becomes pretty much an overdrive gear. I'd recommend the change.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Max mph/rpm

If anyone does find a accurate tach for their 500, can they please do a test of mph at close to redline. Of at least the first 4 gears. And of a 500 with stock gearing. And post it. Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts