Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a second bike to go along with my Vulcan 500cc. Here's what I'm looking at and was wanting to get the opinion of the fine folks here

1996 Harley Sportster 883 bored to a 1200. 30k miles. Can be had for $2800

1995 Suzuki Intruder 1500cc-can be had for $2000. It has around 40k miles

2001 Honda Shadow 1100cc- can be had for $2600, it has around 20k miles.

At this point, I'm up in the air about which bike to get. This bike would more than likely be my daily commuter. I'm going to look at all 3 of them today. At this point, I'm leaning towards either the Harley or the Shadow and the Intruder as a backup.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
My un-educated opinion, I'd lean toward the Shadow until I had a good look at all of them; latest year model and fewest miles. That said, if they are at an individuals place, and you see a lot of broken things laying around, I'd leave it alone...probably didn't maintain it very well either. If it's at a dealer's place I'd want to know if they've done any kind of an inspection or if they've done any repairs in order to get it running right. In the end, it all comes down to what appeals to you. Good luck and let us know which one you go with.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I'd go with the Honda Shadow... better all around bike... though the Intruders can be fast bikes... and Harley's are more about the name game... seems most everyone I know with a Harley that has had engine mods works on them all the time... HD stands for "Hundred Dollars"...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Dave

The only thing the Harley has over the shadow is exhaust tone. Nothing sounds better than a Harley. However for a reliable confortable smooth running ride the Shadow is great. In addition to a 2008 V2k I bought this spring I have a 1998 Shadow 1100 Spirit with 30K on it. Required maintenance? Change oil every spring, Set of tires every other year and keep the gas tank full. I'd buy the Shadow again in a heartbeat.

A really refined ride thats easy to underappreciate. I'm currently working with my dealer to fix some stumbling issues with the V2k but as of today the shadow runs and pulls smoother around town.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
IMHO, there's too many miles on what was a questionable bike on the Intruder. Now the Harley. Let's see, a solid mount 883, it's gonna rattle your teeth out, if you're over 5'9" you probably won't be comfortable. Resale value is no longer applicable on Sporty's, the bottom dropped out of that last year. Yup, it's got a 1200 kit, yup, it'll be quick, but there are so many options to doing the 1200 conv. that unless you know the mechanic that did it personally, it's opening up a big can of maintenance worms. IMHO, with the bikes you listed the Shadow is by far the best choice, proven reliability, relatively low miles and a good price, I'd be riding that one home.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
you meet the nicest people on a honda... cause they never break down!

IMHO, there's too many miles on what was a questionable bike on the Intruder. Now the Harley. Let's see, a solid mount 883, it's gonna rattle your teeth out, if you're over 5'9" you probably won't be comfortable. Resale value is no longer applicable on Sporty's, the bottom dropped out of that last year. Yup, it's got a 1200 kit, yup, it'll be quick, but there are so many options to doing the 1200 conv. that unless you know the mechanic that did it personally, it's opening up a big can of maintenance worms. IMHO, with the bikes you listed the Shadow is by far the best choice, proven reliability, relatively low miles and a good price, I'd be riding that one home.
k9, the shadow is by far the bike of choice. you almost can't go wrong with a honda unless its been drag raced and beaten with an ugly stick. have had some great honda's. 02 spirit 750 was best handling middleweight cruiser.

as for the sportster, begining with 04 they rubber mounted those old paint shakers. the 883 new sold for a mere $6k.. otd. I bought an 05 for my son to ride. He prefered a kaw 500 ninja. the 883 is geared lower than stock 1200's, so it will not perform the same and rev higher at speed. not good. the only upsize method is a bore kit. they dont stroke those things.. unless their being drag raced, but then they aint 1200's. One thing about those harleys is that once they reach that bottom price they hold it. There is always somebody who wants one just to try it if its not too 'spensive. tho the market may be flooded, they still move these things, meaning if you dump 3k in one you most likely will get 3k for it later. not a good reason to buy one..just a reason. sometimes its kinda fun to have a rat bike you can rat around on.

zuki makes some great bikes. I had an 94 v800 and dont consider it one of them. would stay away from their cruisers. now any SV series are jap-dukes. thems are way too fun. I miss my ol sv1k nekid. it was the bes mc ever.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Were i in your shoes, (and i'm not) i'd get the Harley and bob it. Use it as a bar-hopper bike for short, around town type trips. Realistically, it's an obnoxious bike that'll beat the crap out of you and your wallet, but hey, it's a Harley and after all that's what we all use as a benchmark.

You have a dependable bike as a daily rider, i'd get one just for a toy.

Sensibly, the Harley is probably the worst decision of the lot and the Shadow the best, but there you go!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm totally bias since I owned one, but +1 on the Shadow. Honda engines are bulletproof.

I just sold my '04 Shadow 1100 yesterday. I would have loved to keep it but I didn't have the room.

Changing the oil on that Shadow is pretty simple. I did a break job in 20 minutes on that bike and other miscellaneous maintenance and checks are collectively pretty simple too.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Go with the shadow.. best one on the list, I would holdout for another Vulcan myself :>)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I apologize for not checking in earlier. I did buy the Honda Shadow and she was a beauty. She was in perfect condition and drove like a dream. "Was" being the key word. I bought her on Saturday and put about 450 miles or so on her Saturday and Sunday. I loved it and my son loved it. We jumped on her Monday afternoon to go to the movies when the worst thing possible happened. We were going down a road about 25 mph when about 50 feet ahead of me I saw a car and I thought, "surely to God this dude isn't going to pull out in front of us". Well he did and I had no time to react, brake, swerve or otherwise. He turned right in front of us. I went flying off the bike as did my son. He and I both blacked out. When I awoke, my son was yelling and I stood up to try and get to him and blacked out again. I ended up with a broken toe, broken foot, severe road rash and quite a few stitches in my head. My son ended up with the worst of the deal. He broke his leg in two places and broke his wrist. A week later we're home and recovering. The accident reports no fault on my end but I still feel badly about it. There just honestly was nothing I could do.

Claims have been filed and hopefully Blue will be ready to roll as soon as the estimate is done and by the time my foot and toes have healed. I'll be honest, I'm both mad and feel a bit guilty. This guy saw us plain as day and chose to risk the life of two people instead of waiting 15 seconds more to make his turn. The guy not only took away my kids summer, but also took away his love of riding.(at least for now). This same kid who loved to sit on whatever bike I had and make vroom vroom noises and lean up while we were stopped and grin at me just so I could see him in the mirrors has had one of his loves taken away. The guy who hit us left his name and number and wanted me to call him, but I just can't do that. I'm afraid of the words that would come out of my mouth. I'm hopeful that insurance takes care of us, but as per usual, I'm prepared for a long battle both with the insurance company and with my son's injuries. I've honestly grown tired of the whole "motorcycles are dangerous" spiel I've heard over the last week, and quite honestly, I cannot wait to jump back on her at least for a second. Thanks for letting me vent and thanks for all the wonderful responses. It appears I made the right choice.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
getting back on the horse

IMD, you do well to live your life with gusto. Your son will do well because of you. He admires and looks to you for example. You are his Hero. because you are always HERE for him, Oh!!!

MC's are not dangerous. Its People who are. People have been killing other people since the dawn of time. Now they just have 5k lb hammers to knock your brains out. If you weren't riding your MC you might just have well been on a bicycle or even walking. People who dont care will just as soon run you over. They dont value other human life. Even sometimes their own.

Recover, heal, Live your life as you see fit. Your son will follow. Dont be afraid for him. He too wants to experience all that this life has to give. Drink it up.

btw, good luck with all that insurance stuff. I'd get a good lawyer and clean somebodies clock. out, ponch

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
That just sux! I'm so glad you and your son are relatively ok! It could've been much worse. I think Ponch said it pretty well. I would add that after my wreck last year I learned that insurance co's will go out of their way to screw you, get a lawyer now, don't wait. I don't think it would be a good idea to call the guy, I'm like you, what would come out of my mouth wouldn't be good and that won't help if it gets ugly and ends up in court.

I'm just glad the 2 of you are around to tell the tale. Take it easy, heal, and you'll both be back in the wind in no time.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Hope you and your son heal fast. Hope the driver of the automobile learns the lesson, however it has to be taught. You and yours are in my prayers.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Motorcycles are not dangerous... it's the idiots in the cages that share the roads that are :eek: That said I do understand very well the need to get back on the horse... just doing so myself after a bad crash last september :)

I know each state (country) has it own set of rules concerning insurance... hopefully this case will prove that the insurance will cover everything... if not or if things get even slightly out of hand... get a lawyer quickly... all I can say it is amazing what a good lawyer can do to get things covered that were not ;)

But as in our case... you and your son both still live and breath... and to one day ride again... that's the main thing... hope you both heal quickly :D

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
if you learn something valuable, then this lesson is not in vain. still pain tho

We were going down a road about 25 mph when about 50 feet ahead of me I saw a car and I thought, "surely to God this dude isn't going to pull out in front of us". Well he did and I had no time to react, brake, swerve or otherwise. He turned right in front of us. The accident reports no fault on my end but I still feel badly about it. There just honestly was nothing I could do. I'll be honest, I'm both mad and feel a bit guilty.
IMD, What you experienced is what we all have or will more sooner than later. What can you learn from this close to lights out experience? Myself having crashed numerous times and some very close calls with idiots in their metal boxes, I have never(knockwood?)hit or been hit by a car. The only reason I can put forth is that I am deathly afraid of them. Whenever (allways) I see a car anywhere on the road, my first thought is this idiot IS Going to do the most stupid thing he/she can to collide with me. That now has become my standard natural reaction to EVERY car on the road and of course I start anticipating my alternate plan of action. 1st roll off throttle, 2nd hand and foot over brake, 3rd move around in my lane to get noticed, 4th take alternate action plan may involve hard braking, swerving, lane or line change w/possible hard acceleration. Even all this pre-emptive activity still leaves a 50/50 chance of a smakdown.
As much as I can, I just dont ride in traffic anymore.. at least not on purpose.
Bad stuff can happen on courntry roads as well, just that your holding a better hand when playing dealers choice.

The real point of all this jabbering is that "what you think first" is what sets you up for any action or inaction to follow. Think this: "They are ALL out there aiming for you with intent on killing you"

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I for one know for fact that no matter how well you try to ride defensively, that bad crash can happen... I had enough time to barely attempt a swerve (maybe moved the handlebar an inch) before being smacked head on by a pick-up truck on a country highway... me at 45mph, and he at ?? mph... all I know is he slid a total of 91 feet once he hit his brakes... and more than half of that was after impact. Riding is a gamble... one that can end badly... but is too fun to miss in the game of life... though I still have trouble walking with my left leg and would not be able to hold a 2 wheel bike up... I am for now riding a Burgman 400 trike until the day comes I can once again lean in the turns on 2 wheels.!! Gotta say for a trike this ain't too bad... road the Cherohalla Skyway on it last weekend... though very different in the turns... it didn't do all that bad..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
IMD, What you experienced is what we all have or will more sooner than later. What can you learn from this close to lights out experience? Myself having crashed numerous times and some very close calls with idiots in their metal boxes, I have never(knockwood?)hit or been hit by a car. The only reason I can put forth is that I am deathly afraid of them. Whenever (allways) I see a car anywhere on the road, my first thought is this idiot IS Going to do the most stupid thing he/she can to collide with me. That now has become my standard natural reaction to EVERY car on the road and of course I start anticipating my alternate plan of action. 1st roll off throttle, 2nd hand and foot over brake, 3rd move around in my lane to get noticed, 4th take alternate action plan may involve hard braking, swerving, lane or line change w/possible hard acceleration. Even all this pre-emptive activity still leaves a 50/50 chance of a smakdown.
As much as I can, I just dont ride in traffic anymore.. at least not on purpose.
Bad stuff can happen on courntry roads as well, just that your holding a better hand when playing dealers choice.

The real point of all this jabbering is that "what you think first" is what sets you up for any action or inaction to follow. Think this: "They are ALL out there aiming for you with intent on killing you"
I think you're exactly right. I'll know next time. I guess I was just giving him the benefit of the doubt and I should not have done that. It's just that we were so close to him, I never gave a second thought to him going ahead and pulling out. I'm tired of waiting on the insurance company, so I'm going ahead and having the bike towed to my local shop and having them do an estimate. Given that my feet and toes might never be as good as before and given that it is my shifting foot, do you all have any recommendations for products that might help with shifting? Would floor boards help at all or heel shifters? Right now, here's just my rough estimate on what needs to be fixed.

All four footpegs (3 are trashed). I'm considering floor boards for the driver and a bit more protection if possible on the back

New Windshield

New Tank (Can I get a tank with the Shadow Lettering and can I get one to match?)

New Pipes (the old ones got trashed when a footpeg punctured it)

New Mirror

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
most anybody can be a father, being a Dad will cost you all your heart has to give

I'll know next time. I guess I was just giving him the benefit of the doubt and I should not have done that. It's just that we were so close to him, I never gave a second thought to him going ahead and pulling out.
IMD, very good my son. you have learned your lesson well. this did cost you some pain, some time out (to think about it) and obvious remorse for your son. We, yes we feel pain for you, are fortunate you and he are still with us.
I know you will NEVER give anybody a chance to do it again. The closer you are to a potential impact the more heightend you sense of urgency should rise.
When a vehicle approaches entering the roadway, I go thru lots of motions to get thier attention. If they stop rolling, I will wave and nod my head as I pass them. If they are JA's that continue to roll as our point of intercept closes, Besides all the motions and defensive manuevers, I give them a straight on stare with some hand gestures to indicate there need to use those two eyes God gave them. I am a bit vocal with folks. have been known to argue with them at lights. they get intimidated when called out for bad driving behaviour. Good. Shame has its rightful place in character development and behaviour modification. It may save somebody else down the road. I hope.

The bike. I am surprised that the insurance company is not writing it off as a Total loss. 1st, the cost of fixing it may very well exceed it market worth. 2nd, there may be other problems (such as a minor bent frame) that won't show up to much further down the road... this could cost you yet another accident. I would insist upon a full payment for the loss of the bike, all accesories, helmets, leathers, boots, every physical thing that went thru that accident. Get a new bike... with the floorboards and heal shifter.

This doesn't let them off the hook for liability. This is where your Lawyer will earn his keep. Do not settle for any/some amount of medical compensation. You are due not only compensation for current cost but for ALL cost and lost use of your physical abilities... UNDERSTAND THIS.. for the rest of your and sons LIFE.! This guy that carelessly put your futures in jeapordy (ie.almost killed you) is liable for NEGLIGENCE. If you dont care to do this for yourself.. you really need to protect your son from a future set back because of the injuries he sustained. I know this sounds bad, but this is your duty. don't take it lightly. sorry for the rant and run on. just have seen too many passive Dads not do the right thing. If I am lighting a fire under you, then I have done my job. always, ponch

1 - 20 of 25 Posts