Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm asking for recommendations from anyone who knows how hot it gets here in Central Florida for a riding jacket. I'd like to have one that offers some protection yet is cool and has plenty of ventilation. Whatever I decide upon will probably be purchased through Amazon or over the net. So, whats the one to get?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
What about an evaporative cooling vest, like this one, underneath a mesh riding jacket? They actually work best under a jacket. Those come in handy when it's super hot!

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
I use to use the cooling vest.. but here in FL, you sweat at 8am, and sweat vs air blowing over you, keeps you cool.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
95 dgrees, heat index of 105 with 99% humidity.. you are not staying dry

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Any good mesh jacket should help. Scorpion, First Gear, Joe Rocket, Tourmaster, Cortech, and several others (can't remember every one) are all good. Just look around and see if one jumps out at you for any reason, even if it is just its appearance. Don't be afraid to check out brands that target sport bike riders as they usually have some solid black jackets.

I have Tourmaster mesh gloves, pants, and jacket. I really like wearing shorts and a t-shirt underneath and getting tons of airflow through the mesh while keeping the sun directly off of me.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a First Gear mesh jacket as well, while I find it cool enough (note I'm NOT in the southern states :( ) I can't say I've been impressed with it's quality or comfort. I'm probably going to be looking for a better replacement for it.

All that said, the mesh jackets flow a lot of air and protect reasonably well - far better than a t-shirt!

Joel

·
Registered
17 Posts
OldBuzzard, I'm also a NOOB in Florida, and I went with a First Gear because I could get it in a tall (I'm 6'5") and in florescent green (I'm more worried about safety than style). I've had it for about a week and so far it has been OK. Of course, take my comment as the blind leading the blind.

Did a 60 mile round trip ride for lunch with a friend today and I was quite comfortable. I sweated under my helmet, but I didn't soak the shirt I was wearing underneath.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the feedback swampcat. I purchased a new helmet today. A Gmax with a bunch of vents in it. Hopefully it'll help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the feedback swampcat. I purchased a new helmet today. A Gmax with a bunch of vents in it. Hopefully it'll help.
Hope so, too. I decided that the best thing for me to do is keep what hair I have left short so it's not as obvious that its wet when I take of the helmet. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hope so, too. I decided that the best thing for me to do is keep what hair I have left short so it's not as obvious that its wet when I take of the helmet. :)
I shave my head so I don't have to worry about "what's left" :D:D:D Plus, I won't have "helmet hair" when I take the helmet off.

·
BOTM Winner, February 2015
83 Posts
i went with Tourmaster mesh jacket and pants. Very satisfied but then again, I'm in Nova Scotia, not FLA.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
I'm happy with my Olympia mesh pants, although I wish they weren't black - kind of negates some of the cool air.

Joel
I'm considering getting the pants also. I love the jacket. I have some Slider jeans with Kevlar but I'm not convinced they will really slide well on the road. I may get the Olympia pants to were over the jeans. The jacket breathes so well that at speed it's like you don't have it on. I assume the mesh pants work similarly, yes? Also, I like the idea of being able to use the zipper to attach the pants to the jacket. I can imagine the jacket riding up on my back in a slide which would be very bad!

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
IMO you should go to a shop and try them on. Even though you might get the "Same Size" the cut can be different between brands. I got a field shear brand mesh jacket once and even though it fit decent in the shoulder it felt like I could stick a basketball in the gut of the jacket and still have room to move. I eventually ended up with a perforated leather jacket from Joe Rocket. The cut Joe Rocket uses seems to fit me well so I try to stick with them. Not recommending that particular style to you being you are in Florida. But the point I am getting is try them on and make sure you got a good fit all the way around. A baggy jacket is annoying when it starts flapping around and will ride up on an unexpected dismount. Too tight and your movements are restricted and uncomfortable.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts