Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day, folks.
Quick bit about why I am here:
I have an 07 Suzuki C50T, low mileage (13000km/8000miles) but it's a bit small for 2-up riding with senior management on the back.
Instead of putting upgrades into the 800CC, I decided to look at the bigger bikes. I was leaning towards a C90T, but while shopping I came across some of the big baggers. The C109t and VL2000.
I know its a big jump (Not a newbie rider, been on 2 wheels for 25 yrs, albeit with a no-fun break thrown in there)
But if I read the specs correctly, there is about a 50lb dry weight difference between the C90 and VL2000, which I feel pretty capable of handling.
I read the "Do I or Don't I" thread, and so far it looks promising.
I'm not a brand homer, so what I'm looking for is some opinions on the particular differences:
Belt Vs. Shaft: big deal?
Maintenance issues?
Engine problems?

FYI: The bike I'm looking at is a 2006 VL2000 Classic Ltd with 30000Km/18000miles on it for a $3000CAD/2300USD difference.
The VL has loads of add ons as well, such as Stage 1 Hyper intake & V&H pipes, etc.

Looking to buy a bike that I can ride for years to come...........

·
Registered
40 Posts
I went from the 1600 mean streak to the 2000 and have had no regret. Tons of power great ride and great better fuel milage then the mean streak

·
Registered
361 Posts
Well here's my two cents.
I had a Suzie 1500 boulevard, great bike. The shaft drive was good, comfort awesome, parts galore, sounded awesome on cobra slash backs. Parts were dirt cheap and overall cheap and easy to maintain. Dam fine to look at in black and chrome. The hydraulic clutch was great 98% of the time. However in heavy stop go traffic I managed to boil the clutch fluid. Gearbox ratios were bang on, clunky shifter though and sometimes a sod to find neutral. That motor, mmmmmmm man it could rev it's head off with a few minor mods making it a lively beastie. Brakes, well not so much stopping power more of a negotiation of figuring out where it might stop when ya push things.

A standard boulevard is a wheezy beastie in my view, it does need a few mods to make it sing properly and allow it to breathe letting that sweet motor rev. The Gman industries website is your best friend when you own a boulevard, they have some awesome stuff to make ya bike come alive.

Down sides, fit and finish was rubbish like most other suzies, if it seen a cloud in the sky corrosion would break out on it like teenage acne, always having to clean and polish every time it ventured out the garage. The charging system was barely capable of keeping the battery topped up, but hopeless once we had everything bolted on, ended up making charging mods to cope and auto relays to drop auxillary loads off the moment the motor stopped and I fitted a PC cooling fan to the rectifier to stop it over heating. The fuel tank size was a joke at best that made riding a constant fuel bowser hunt. I ALWAYS had to carry spare fuel since we like the off beaten path. Thats what finally killed it off, the wife got sick and tired having to stop and refill every five minutes

The V2k, I don't like the belt (jus cos I prefer shaft drive). The rear shock was rubbish for two up (replaced with aftermarket unit, all sorted). The seat is chite (solved it with a gel cover). Can be hard on tyres if ya hard on the throttle (with rear shock replaced has improved tyre wear alot). Parts are more expensive than the Suzie. Weight can be daunting at first but ya get over it with practice (lots or rear brake application at low speed). There is alot of bike to clean, using a suitable jack makes that job waaaaay easier. Apart from that, thats it.

The good stuff, fit and finish is beautiful. Chrome and paint is great. Easy to maintain. Has a great fuel range. Awesome tourer, day tripper and commuter (I do 40kms per day, highway, all good). We ride two up all the time and it is brilliant. Great eye candy. Ergonomics are good and relaxed. Reliable as the day is long. For a cruiser it does handle well. Brilliant in heavy winds, doesn't float about the road like other bikes I've had. Ridden in heavy rain offten, no issues an no corrosion issues either. Brakes are great for a cruiser. Pillion comfort is fab. Gearbox is great and that easy neutral find feature is awesome. Clutch is cable, but I find it fine, no issues. The sound is good even on standard pipes.

We ride two up all the time and the bike is fully kitted out, the masses of torque available solves annnnnnnnnnny issues annnnnny time. We still turn over 38- 40mpg with ease two up. The grunt available with these bikes does make the suzie look silly, more so with it's small gas tank and low mpg figures. That V2K motor is a work of art, it can develop 'ticky' lifters, however with proper oil and maintenance I have had NO issues.

That said even with all it's flaws I still really liked my boulevard...........................................a lot, I would have another but it would have to have a Gman auxiliary fuel tank fitted to make it really usable.

Cheers Ando

·
Registered
232 Posts
This is my 2nd V2K.
I sold the first because I could not afford 2 bikes and needed to have a machine to satisfy my cornering lust. I later bought a Volusia for two up in addition to the SVTHOU I have. After the 2000 the Volusia was a constant irritant. Absolutely anemic power, poor brakes, not as comfortable for me, and less tank range.
Although the light 800 is nicer on tight curvy roads, it's not by much. The only area where the V2K loses is when you have to push it around. Make sure you have a good and debris free surface especially going backwards.
I would not hesitate for a microsecond to make the jump.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx, all. Great info from all of you. Actually RuaphuNZ, I was going to go for the Gman performance upgrade on the C50 before I decided to upgrade the whole bike. Sounds like our riding would be similar. I have a nice big heated shop and pavement all the way to work when I want to commute, plus I'm a tinkerer so I have jacks galore (and I'm restoring an '82 Porsche 928.....might be up for sale to finance bike upgrades at the rate it's going.....lol)
The maintenance doesn't daunt me, providing it's not a parts pig that drives me into the poor house. I realize there will be a learning curve with the weight jump.
how did you find the weight difference from the Suz 1500 to the VL2000? They are both more than the 800, but is there much difference between them?
The reason I ask, and RedDogDarren would know this too, is a test drive is a bit dicey right now where I live. Bikes don't go on snow. I've ridden the C90, but might have to rely on sitting on a VL2000 doing "twisties" to listen to the engine, but I have a brief window to pick it up if I want to........

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx, Bill. Good read, and kinda sets some of my concerns at ease. Might I ask, as for the height and seating you discuss, how tall/heavy are you? (No, not an e-harmony question....lol)
I'm 5'11", about 195. I can hit 200 after a week of free donuts but that's for a different forum....

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm 5'10", long legs, long arms, and 180 lbs. The reach to the bars is long, the floorboards are a nice distance. Seat height is great.

As an indicator I can flatfoot any motorcycle made with ease.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Absolutely. All of your input has really helped put my mind at ease. I had been strongly leaning to a bigger version of the same kind of bike as my C50T (Familiarity breeds comfort) but I think that I'll be comfortable if this is the way I end up going. It comes down to what I can actually close the deal on (I lost out on a pretty nice C90T that was full of extras and about $500 cheaper) Bikes are starting to move pretty fast in my area eevn with snow on the ground, so if I'm going to do this I will have to take a bit if a "Leap of faith"

·
Registered
228 Posts
come on just buy it you wont be disappointed i will never get rid of mine thought of buying another to chop and shorten/lighten up to one up and still have my full bagged out two up for the weekends.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Thanx, all. Great info from all of you. Actually RuaphuNZ,
how did you find the weight difference from the Suz 1500 to the VL2000? They are both more than the 800, but is there much difference between them?
Trent I found the Boule was an easy mover around town, the seat was a tad low making it feel awkward at times, the gearbox can be fiddly in stop in start stuff. The clutch is feather light, brakes good around town. looks good too.

The V2K is good too, key for me is just taking my time. Good brakes, Clutch, gearbox, massive wide tyres and fairly low C of G all help to make things easy for me about town. I'm happy to trundle around town, even two up. The biggest down side, the heat off the pipes can get a bit onerous in Summer if ya caught in the slow dribbly traffic. One tends to adopt a wide stance to give ya right leg some distance from the heat.

The V2K always looks dam fine about town and usually creates a good talking point.
Cheers, Ando

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, you sold me. Im just stopped for gas, have my C50 trailered behind me. Heading to the dealership to swap rides. if it all checks out, I'll have to switch to this forum permanently! :smiley:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Well, you sold me. Im just stopped for gas, have my C50 trailered behind me. Heading to the dealership to swap rides. if it all checks out, I'll have to switch to this forum permanently! :smiley:
you Beaut! let us know how ya get on :)

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
We hope to have you join us!! The 2k is an awesome bike and once you get used to it, you will love every single moment in the (not stock) saddle.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
[ ...you will love every single moment in the (not stock) saddle.
You are correct. Once I was able to get my hands on it, it is an amazing bike. It had more features than was listed in the dealer's profile.
It has 19000 miles, ISO throttle boss grips with helmet locks, Engine Guard, Corbin Aftermarket Gel seat w/ backrest, aftermarket pipes (Not sure, might be straight shots) and a Stage 1 hypercharger intake.
Looks like it's had a full going over as they said, belt looks new, rear tire is new. For a couple grand difference, it's an amazing bike.
I already got it home and took it out for a quick jaunt. I still have snow and ice in my driveway but it's been 17 Deg. C here this week, so the highways are clean.
I took it into town to gas it up, and there were no problems at all. If I can navigate my crappy driveway plus the spring streets of my local town (They're wet and sandy from winter thaw) and I didn't feel overwhelmed by the weight at the least, then I'm already feeling pretty good about the change in weight.
I did have to hop off to back it up against a slope, but otherwise I didn't find it any harder to manoever than the 800.
On the way back I cracked the throttle in 5th and went from 60MPH to 90MPH in the time it took me to pass a car ahead of me...........I might need a cold shower now.
Couldn't be happier folks! Thank you all so much for all the advice, I'm thinking this bike will be with me until one of us craters.....
I'll post a pic shortly............

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Thanx, Bill. Good read, and kinda sets some of my concerns at ease. Might I ask, as for the height and seating you discuss, how tall/heavy are you? (No, not an e-harmony question....lol)
I'm 5'11", about 195. I can hit 200 after a week of free donuts but that's for a different forum....
Looks like I'm a little late getting back to you, but I'm 5'10" and 170 lbs. I've got kinda short legs (30" inseam) so on some bikes I can have a hard time flat-footing or getting my leg around the air cleaner. Not so on the V2K.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The biggest down side, the heat off the pipes can get a bit onerous in Summer if ya caught in the slow dribbly traffic. One tends to adopt a wide stance to give ya right leg some distance from the heat.
I can certainly agree with that statement...and so can the 3rd degree burn scar on my calf.

·
Registered
361 Posts
You are correct. Once I was able to get my hands on it, it is an amazing bike. It had more features than was listed in the dealer's profile.
It has 19000 miles, ISO throttle boss grips with helmet locks, Engine Guard, Corbin Aftermarket Gel seat w/ backrest, aftermarket pipes (Not sure, might be straight shots) and a Stage 1 hypercharger intake.
Looks like it's had a full going over as they said, belt looks new, rear tire is new. For a couple grand difference, it's an amazing bike.
I already got it home and took it out for a quick jaunt. I still have snow and ice in my driveway but it's been 17 Deg. C here this week, so the highways are clean.
I took it into town to gas it up, and there were no problems at all. If I can navigate my crappy driveway plus the spring streets of my local town (They're wet and sandy from winter thaw) and I didn't feel overwhelmed by the weight at the least, then I'm already feeling pretty good about the change in weight.
I did have to hop off to back it up against a slope, but otherwise I didn't find it any harder to manoever than the 800.
On the way back I cracked the throttle in 5th and went from 60MPH to 90MPH in the time it took me to pass a car ahead of me...........I might need a cold shower now.
Couldn't be happier folks! Thank you all so much for all the advice, I'm thinking this bike will be with me until one of us craters.....
I'll post a pic shortly............

Sweet as, sounds like ya got a good deal, and yep piccy's are mandatory, haha

Cheers Ando

Sent from the bottom of the Earth via a Tapatalk clone........……Motorcycle.com.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts