Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

New to the forum. But not new to ridding.

I'm looking at buying a Voyager 1700, or a Vaquero 1700. I have not decided on one, or the other just yet.

I like the looks of the Vaquero better, but I like having the storage, and passenger comfort of the Voyager. So I'm still not sure what I will buy. (Wife dose ride on the back some times, but most of the time she rides her own bike.)

I have a few questions for you guys if you don't mind.

First, is there anything on one, that's not on the other that I might really want?

Second, are there any known problems with them? If so what?
And is there any thing a potential owner should know before buying?
Do these 1700 have good power? (Used to an 1800)
Is there any expensive maintenance things I should know about?
What is the most common things done to gain more power?
And what kind of power numbers do these bikes make after they have had these things installed?
Never owned a belt drive bike, only shaft drive, anything I should know?

My current bike is a 2003 Honda VTX 1800C. I like the bike, but it has NO storage, no audio, no cruse control, no anything really. Its a bare bones cruiser. Its fun, but its not the best for longer rides. I LOVE the power it has, and how well it handles and stops, but I think its time to move on to something that better suits my needs.

I ride an hour + all the time. And 300 miles in a day is not uncommon for me. I would like to ride longer, but with no storage for gear, the small fuel tank, and the vary basic layout of the bike, its just not much fun to ride more then a few hours at a time, so 300 miles is about the most I ever do in a day.

I do not plan to sell the bike for while, and am considering buying a new one. Tho if I can find a good used one, that is an option. Dealers around here are nuts tho, and think they can sell these bikes at 2-3 years old, with around 4k on them for 13-14k. I have found several bikes on line new for the same price.

What is a good price for a used one?
Say 1-4 years old, with 1,000-7,000 miles on it in good condition.

Thanks for the help guys!!!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Hey guys!

New to the forum. But not new to ridding.

I'm looking at buying a Voyager 1700, or a Vaquero 1700. I have not decided on one, or the other just yet.

I like the looks of the Vaquero better, but I like having the storage, and passenger comfort of the Voyager. So I'm still not sure what I will buy. (Wife dose ride on the back some times, but most of the time she rides her own bike.)

I have a few questions for you guys if you don't mind.

First, is there anything on one, that's not on the other that I might really want?

Second, are there any known problems with them? If so what?
And is there any thing a potential owner should know before buying?
Do these 1700 have good power? (Used to an 1800)
Is there any expensive maintenance things I should know about?
What is the most common things done to gain more power?
And what kind of power numbers do these bikes make after they have had these things installed?
Never owned a belt drive bike, only shaft drive, anything I should know?

My current bike is a 2003 Honda VTX 1800C. I like the bike, but it has NO storage, no audio, no cruse control, no anything really. Its a bare bones cruiser. Its fun, but its not the best for longer rides. I LOVE the power it has, and how well it handles and stops, but I think its time to move on to something that better suits my needs.

I ride an hour + all the time. And 300 miles in a day is not uncommon for me. I would like to ride longer, but with no storage for gear, the small fuel tank, and the vary basic layout of the bike, its just not much fun to ride more then a few hours at a time, so 300 miles is about the most I ever do in a day.

I do not plan to sell the bike for while, and am considering buying a new one. Tho if I can find a good used one, that is an option. Dealers around here are nuts tho, and think they can sell these bikes at 2-3 years old, with around 4k on them for 13-14k. I have found several bikes on line new for the same price.

What is a good price for a used one?
Say 1-4 years old, with 1,000-7,000 miles on it in good condition.

Thanks for the help guys!!!
Agree w ya on looks,,seems you plan on long trips,would choose the voyager,
imo,love my nad:smile2:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Don't know much difference between the Voyager and Vaquero, no driving lights or trunk on the Vaquero. I have a 2014 Voyager and really like it. I haven't done any mods yet for more power, I'm okay with the stock bike. At 900 lbs. it's a bit heavier than your Honda. Definitely not a go fast bike! Very comfortable for daily riding. I haven't taken any long rides yet, only 450-500 in one day. No problem at all. I just retired, so the longer trips are on the way! You can't go wrong with either one, but I like all the storage space and looks of the Voyager.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
IMO, the Vaquaro is for solo riding with the occasional short ride with a passenger. I only like the look of the stock bike.

The Voyager in stock form is way more comfortable, and provides better weather protection. The bags are easier to use as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought a used 2015 Voyager about a month ago with 1250 kilometers on it, and most of the 3-year warranty remaining. An old fellow hurt his back a month after buying it this Spring, and could no longer ride. It's a perfect highway cruiser. At 130 kph (80 mph) it easily cruises 350 kilometers before the fuel message shows up, has a huge amount of storage space, and rides soft like a Cadillac. I haven't even looked to see what the shock settings are, or even if they are aired up - only adjusted the tire pressure. I've put a Stebel air horn on it, a flashing brake light, a manual cooling fan switch, and heat-wrapped the rear exhaust pipe. Although I wish it had another 50 horsepower, I think I'm just going to drive this one as is. As a data point, this is bike number 13 in the past four or five years, and by far the most comfortable of them all. Buy one, you'll like it. :smile2:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys!!!!!

I have been doing a lot of reading n this bike, and it seams that most owners are vary happy with them.

I may be waiting until spring to buy one tho.

A buddy of mine wants my current bike, but can't buy it for another month or so. (End of the season, or close, here in Mi.)

So seeing as I would get vary little ride time in before I would park it for the year, I think I will hold off, and pick one up just before the start of the ridding season, or mid winter when they will be cheaper.

Do you guys that buying in the winter/ early spring is a good idea?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Buy one in the late Fall from someone that has given up riding, or doesn't want to store it for the Winter. Or buy it during the Winter. If you wait for Spring, you'll be one of many buyers dealing with sellers who have the expectation of getting a high price. I buy used bikes for cash, usually at a high discount from unreasonable asking prices. Determine what you want to pay, offer it, and start counting out $100 bills in front of the seller. When they stop looking at you, and concentrate of the money, you know you've got a deal. I have yet to pay as much as I was prepared to pay. Don't forget to check for a clear title, though. Good luck, safe riding, and enjoy the Voyager.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Buy one in the late Fall from someone that has given up riding, or doesn't want to store it for the Winter. Or buy it during the Winter. If you wait for Spring, you'll be one of many buyers dealing with sellers who have the expectation of getting a high price. I buy used bikes for cash, usually at a high discount from unreasonable asking prices. Determine what you want to pay, offer it, and start counting out $100 bills in front of the seller. When they stop looking at you, and concentrate of the money, you know you've got a deal. I have yet to pay as much as I was prepared to pay. Don't forget to check for a clear title, though. Good luck, safe riding, and enjoy the Voyager.
Yup just what he said,,,bought my nad in late winter,paid a grand less than asking trailered it home w snow on the ground:wink2:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys.

I don't have cash to pay for the bike. I will need to pull a loan. But that will depend on when I buy it, and how much I pay for it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got to talk with a guy today that owns a 2015 Vaquero.

After talking with him I am now sure I would go with the Voyager.

I may have my current bike sold. Ill know for sure in about a week.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I just got done with a 1,700 mile trip on my Vaquero. Guess nobody told me it was only for short trips! Whoops!

It's the same bike. Comfort level for the rider is very similar. I actually prefer the smaller fairings on the Vaquero. I don't want THAT much wind protection. I put a taller windshield on, and an aftermarket seat. I have the Mustang seat with dual backrests; the rear backrest is quick release. My wife rides her own most of the time too and my previous bike had a trunk with wraparound backrest. That was more comfortable she said (of course!), but she said the Vaquero is plenty comfortable too. And, most of the time, it's short-ish rides. Most long rides, she's on her own bike.

I actually greatly prefer the side-opening bags. I think a lot of people who knock them have never actually used them. Things don't fall out like you think they would; the shape of the bags, the lip, etc., prevent that. But everything is easily accessible. I thought I was going to dislike the side opening bags; coming from top-opening bags; but once I had them I don't want to go back. I much, much prefer side opening.

Both bikes are great. As far as storage? I had a trunk on my last bike and thought I might miss it; but I really don't. I have a cargo trailer for long trips (can't even tell it's back there really, the Vaquero is a stout bike). Everything else fits fine in the saddlebag. The only thing I miss is not being able to lock my helmet in the trunk when stopping somewhere... I'll get over it. Most Kawasaki's technically have a helmet lock under the seat (I honestly haven't looked to see if the 1700 does). It's utterly useless though. Quicker to use a cable-lock like I do on occasion then to get the seat off and slip a d-ring over the lip under the seat and put the seat back on.

As far as power? Well, displacement in this day and age is just a number. There are lots of 600 and 1000cc inline-4 sportbikes that produce more power than any cruiser ever made. 1800 what? 1800 Goldwing? Goldwing wins, no contest; way more powerful machine. An air-cooled 1800 Yamaha from yester-year? Probably an edge to the Kawasaki on that one. The 1700 platform is not a super high-output platform but it's no slouch. And if you need more power (honestly, mine is stock and I'm fine with it; but I'm not much of a power fiend), there's LOTS that can be done to really open it up.

Good luck on whatever you end up with! You can't go wrong with either bike.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Apologies for possibly hijacking this thread, but I'm also in the market for new Voyager and figured I can ask my questions here.
I got couple of quotes on 2016 Voyager ABS from dealers in Virginia and New Jersey.
Ultimate Cycle in VA quoted me $13637 ($12993 + $545 freight and assembly + $99 dealer processing fees) OTD price
Toms River Marine and Motorsports in NJ $14643 ($13999 + $495 freight and assembly + $149 processing fees) OTD price. Tried to talk them down to matching VA dealer price, but they would not budge.
Compared to other dealers in my area (I'm in Staten Island NY) both deals are pretty good in my opinion.
Obviously one in NJ is only 1 hour away vs 6 in VA but I'm willing to make that trip if necessary.
Now the question. Do these prices and fees look reasonable? Should I even try to negotiate it down?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Apologies for possibly hijacking this thread, but I'm also in the market for new Voyager and figured I can ask my questions here.
I got couple of quotes on 2016 Voyager ABS from dealers in Virginia and New Jersey.
Ultimate Cycle in VA quoted me $13637 ($12993 + $545 freight and assembly + $99 dealer processing fees) OTD price
Toms River Marine and Motorsports in NJ $14643 ($13999 + $495 freight and assembly + $149 processing fees) OTD price. Tried to talk them down to matching VA dealer price, but they would not budge.
Compared to other dealers in my area (I'm in Staten Island NY) both deals are pretty good in my opinion.
Obviously one in NJ is only 1 hour away vs 6 in VA but I'm willing to make that trip if necessary.
Now the question. Do these prices and fees look reasonable? Should I even try to negotiate it down?
PM sent to your inbox.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My suggestion is you look for a quality, low-mileage used bike. My recently purchased 2015 Voyager ABS with 1250 kilometers (775 miles) on it cost me the equivalent of US$10,200, and included the iPod adapter and 34 months factory warranty. Don't forget, if you buy new, you're paying tax, fees, and profit to the dealer. Let the original buyer eat those.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
My suggestion is you look for a quality, low-mileage used bike. My recently purchased 2015 Voyager ABS with 1250 kilometers (775 miles) on it cost me the equivalent of US$10,200, and included the iPod adapter and 34 months factory warranty. Don't forget, if you buy new, you're paying tax, fees, and profit to the dealer. Let the original buyer eat those.
I get that, and to be honest I've been looking at Voyager used and new for some time now I just wasn't ready to pull the trigger until now(got the green light from my boss :wink2:).
Unfortunately in my area there aren't that many to choose from and at your price range (which I think is a steal btw for 2015 model) you are looking at older motorcycle 2009 - 2012 with higher mileage. I don't mind that at all and may still go that route as I'm not in the rush, but at this point idea of getting brand spanking new bike, granted I only had used once before, looks more appealing to me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just got done with a 1,700 mile trip on my Vaquero. Guess nobody told me it was only for short trips! Whoops!

It's the same bike. Comfort level for the rider is very similar. I actually prefer the smaller fairings on the Vaquero. I don't want THAT much wind protection. I put a taller windshield on, and an aftermarket seat. I have the Mustang seat with dual backrests; the rear backrest is quick release. My wife rides her own most of the time too and my previous bike had a trunk with wraparound backrest. That was more comfortable she said (of course!), but she said the Vaquero is plenty comfortable too. And, most of the time, it's short-ish rides. Most long rides, she's on her own bike.

I actually greatly prefer the side-opening bags. I think a lot of people who knock them have never actually used them. Things don't fall out like you think they would; the shape of the bags, the lip, etc., prevent that. But everything is easily accessible. I thought I was going to dislike the side opening bags; coming from top-opening bags; but once I had them I don't want to go back. I much, much prefer side opening.

Both bikes are great. As far as storage? I had a trunk on my last bike and thought I might miss it; but I really don't. I have a cargo trailer for long trips (can't even tell it's back there really, the Vaquero is a stout bike). Everything else fits fine in the saddlebag. The only thing I miss is not being able to lock my helmet in the trunk when stopping somewhere... I'll get over it. Most Kawasaki's technically have a helmet lock under the seat (I honestly haven't looked to see if the 1700 does). It's utterly useless though. Quicker to use a cable-lock like I do on occasion then to get the seat off and slip a d-ring over the lip under the seat and put the seat back on.

As far as power? Well, displacement in this day and age is just a number. There are lots of 600 and 1000cc inline-4 sportbikes that produce more power than any cruiser ever made. 1800 what? 1800 Goldwing? Goldwing wins, no contest; way more powerful machine. An air-cooled 1800 Yamaha from yester-year? Probably an edge to the Kawasaki on that one. The 1700 platform is not a super high-output platform but it's no slouch. And if you need more power (honestly, mine is stock and I'm fine with it; but I'm not much of a power fiend), there's LOTS that can be done to really open it up.

Good luck on whatever you end up with! You can't go wrong with either bike.

Thank you for that!!!

Right now I am on a 2003 Honda VTX 1800C3. Its got more power then most bikes in its class. But I could live with a little less power and still be happy. I just did not want to buy this bike, and then think its a dog. Sounds like I will be happy.

I to love the looks of the Vaquero over the Voyager. And I currently have almost no storage at all, so even adding bags is going to be a big improvement.
I want to take a few trips, 2k miles plus, next year, as well as doing an iron butt challenge.
So I was thinking of getting the Voyager, and just pulling the trunk when I don't need it.
Not really sure how hard that is tho.

But if I find a Vaquero for a good price, well I'm not going to pass it up.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I get that, and to be honest I've been looking at Voyager used and new for some time now I just wasn't ready to pull the trigger until now(got the green light from my boss :wink2:).
Unfortunately in my area there aren't that many to choose from and at your price range (which I think is a steal btw for 2015 model) you are looking at older motorcycle 2009 - 2012 with higher mileage. I don't mind that at all and may still go that route as I'm not in the rush, but at this point idea of getting brand spanking new bike, granted I only had used once before, looks more appealing to me.
Look at leftover models. Sometimes you can find a brand new leftover model somewhere (previous model year unsold) for less than used.

Nothing wrong with gently used of course; but I think people discount the advantage of new. Yes, they depreciate as soon as you drive them off the lot. When people say that; they act as if the buyer is surprised to learn that. Of course they know that; but it's a cost that's worth it to some. Having a brand-new bike that nobody has done anything to, that you start off with a clean slate maintenance wise, etc., is really, really nice. Now the other poster found a bike with less than 1,000 miles which is great! But those are pretty hard to find. The person who owned that bike was either A) some guy/gal who rides very little, and trades in the bike every year or two. I know one such guy. He's been riding H-D Heritage Softail's for years. He gets a new one every other year. He's never had more than 2,000 miles on them when he trades them in. Occasional short trips on a nice weekend. So if you're in the market for a softail; buying the one he trades in would be great! OR B) Someone just hated the bike, and was willing to take a hit to get rid of it. Both categories are pretty rare, so the market isn't exactly crammed full of them. If you're financing, usually, interest rates are lower on new.

All that said, definitely checked the used market before you buy. There could be a killer deal. Although, admittedly, I've been less than impressed with used prices for these bikes I've seen. I recently looked for a friend and a dealer had leftover Vaquero's for $12,000; and there were two used ones on Craigslist, both over 20k miles, both asking more than $13k. That is a no-brainer. Touring bikes are a hot commodity right now, everyone wants one. So they do hold their value pretty well; metric or otherwise. So look around, but, don't be surprised if you aren't swayed by some absolutely killer deal, and end up finding a better value in a new bike.

As far as negotiating? Never hurts! Just ask. If it were me, I'd probably tell them I'm not going to pay the fees. I can't recall ever going to the grocery store and seeing a "shelf stocking fee" on my receipt; or a "packaging surcharge". The way every single other industry works, is all of the costs of doing business are formulated into the price plus a profit margin; and that's what you pay. Only in the auto/motorcycle industry do they offer you an artificially low price; and then add on their cost-of-doing-business as a surcharge at the end. Dealers have overhead, of course! But, it would be a more honest business practice for dealers to advertise the actual price of the motorcycle; not advertise lower to undercut their competitors, then tack on fees. Personally, I've always asked for such fees to be axed and, frequently, they will. Actually, the "I don't pay a shelf stocking fee at the grocery store" line got a chuckle out of the sales manager when I bought my Mustang, and he waived the "dealer prep fee" when negotiating.

If they say no, but it's still a good value for you? Buy it! But I think it's worth the 90 seconds of your time to see if you can save a few hundred bucks. I had an uncle in car sales for a number of years; some tips for him include insisting on speaking to the sales manager yourself (do it politely; not "soccer mom at the grocery store when they wouldn't take her coupon", more like "Oh, don't trouble yourself, I'll go ask him myself! Where is he?"), to avoid the 'tactic' of sneaking off into another office and waiting. Sales folks and marketing folks have figured out two things. 1) Balance of power. They want to get you into the 'hot box', some small office (small on purpose) as quickly as possible. Get you in front of the desk while the salesman sits behind it. Making the salesperson appear to hold the balance of power; even though the consumer should always. Next; they will waste your time. Again, on purpose. The goal here being to get you to 'invest' more time. That's less time for competitors; and, studies show we tend to be more willing to spend more money if we invest more time in something. So when negotiating; it's probably wise to be 'aware' of those games and no how to play them. Or, if you don't want to; then don't! Make the dealer a happy person and pay what they ask. After all, playing the game might net that anyway. It's your money of course!

P.S., my LEAST favorite line is "Someone else wants that bike" or "The bike you're thinking about today, someone looked at yesterday and might come back to buy it today". Okay, sell it to that guy. I mean... seriously? Why give me the hard sell if you've got people lined up to buy it? It seems like, if I had a line of people waiting to buy something, and some idiot was balking at the deal and wanting to negotiate and think about it; I'd send them packing and sell to the highest bidder, right? It's bull you can smell from down the block but it seems like every dealer uses those lines and has for decades, and will for decades more.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just bought a 2016 Voyager. Got the deal the Kawasaki is STILL running (Golden Anniversary). 6 months no interest and $2500 off (worked with the dealer and got an additional grand taken off).

That said......LOVE this bike! The only thing I am looking to change is a shorter windshield. Of course, I had the ECU flashed, pipes added, and saddle bag guards put on. Other than that, I'm leaving it the way it is.

For what it's worth.....My brother bought a 2009 Nomad a month before I got mine. By the time he is done with his mods, he will have a Voyager. *LOL*

1 - 20 of 43 Posts