Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at possibly getting a vaquero, I used to have a 900 vulcan custom, loved the bike but wanted more power and went to a Suzuki M109R Boulevard. While I really like the bike, it is very uncomfortable for longer day rides. How is the vaquero in terms of comfort? My 900 was ok, got some lower back pain with the stock seat, upgraded to a mustang seat and could ride it all day. Any other things you all can tell me about them, good and bad? Thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a 2017 vaquero. To me it is comfortable. I've ridden it from Philadelphia pa down to telico plains Tennessee. I've never had a small bike also so I'm not sure what the difference would be coming from a 900. I also own a 2004 vulcan 1600 classic.

·
Registered
Vulcan Vaquero VN1700 [2016]
18 Posts
I had a 900 Classic and a 1600 MeanStreak and now I ride a Vaquero. I can tell you that the Vaquero is definitely a bike for swallowing asphalt. The only problem is that it is quite heavy, difficult for tricky maneuvers like U-turns, that said, we no longer feel it on the road . The driving position, the electronic cruise-control, protection against the wind make it a beast of the road.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I rode a 900 Custom for 10 yrs before stepping up to the Vaquero. The stock seat is marginally better than the 900 but not enough for all day rides. I put a Mustang Wide Touring seat on it the first week I owned it. The extra weight will take some getting used to, but after about a week I could do 16 ft U turns without trouble. The only on-going problem is man-handling it when parked. Get used to always pointing downhill when parking. Walking it backwards up even a mild slope is a nightmare!

Once you're rolling, it won't feel much different than the Custom. The extra weight disappears at road speeds. You'll scrape the boards quicker than the 900 did, but it hasn't been a real problem. Because of the weight, the Vaquero doesn't accelerate much faster than the Custom, but where the Custom tops out just as you pass 100 mph, the Vaquero keeps pulling hard past 120. They say it will do 143, but I haven't pushed mine that hard.

On the highway, this bike is a dream. You'll need to use the Cruise Control or keep checking the speedo, otherwise you'll find yourself doing 90-100 without realizing it. The bike is that smooth, and the fairing keeps you in nearly dead air. In 2018 my son and I rode from Manchester, NY to Baltimore, MD. 8 hours each way. We stopped every hour and a half to two, and I never got sore (Mustang seat).

I prefer the forward pegs on the Custom to the boards on the Vaquero, but it only took me a few rides to get used the heel'n'toe shifter. I think I'm alone in this, but the Vaquero really doesn't need a 6 speed transmission. Most of the time I leave it in 5th and only use 6th if I'm above 70 for extended periods. Otherwise, I'm constantly shifting gears.

Anyway, I love the Vaquero, but after 5 yrs with her, I'm looking forward to going back to a 900 Custom. Something about that bike just speaks to me and I miss it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, I really liked my 900 custom, just wanted something with a bit more power and got an M109R and have ridden that the last two years (kind of went to the extreme on power there lol). The extra weight I don't think is going to be an issue, kind of used to it because the M109R is a HUGE bike. I did ride an 18 vaquero yesterday and to me, it felt a bit sluggish but, I have gotten used to the power of that M109R.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
The Vaquero's about 100 lbs heavier than the M109R and it's set up for cruising, not for speed. It doesn't surprise me that it felt a bit sluggish compared to the Suzzi. The 109 doesn't see peak torque until you hit 3200 rpm, the Vaq is there at 2500. In 6th gear, at 2500 rpm, your doing about 70 mph with plenty of torque to pull passengers and gear. But she's not a racer, so if it's mind numbing acceleration you're after, this isn't the bike. I've never ridden a Suzuki V-twin, but they seem like nice bikes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, the acceleration isn't that important, just making an observation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts