Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've already posted in the New member intro, and it was suggested to post here. I currently have been riding a Vulcan VN750 and I found a 900 Custom (2007) that I'm thinking of buying. It has Cobra pipes, aftermarket air cleaner and passenger backrest. I plan on test riding it Tuesday, it will be my first time on a 900. Anything special I should look for?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I came from a honda 750 to a 900. I still favor the handle bars on the 750 instead of the 900 custom. You may need risers. Make sure the 900 fits you. The seat is no good. I bought a seat pad from Amazon made a big difference.

I absolutely love the 900 and knew it just as soon as I mounted it. The torque, the belt drive, the range, and overall handling. I have stock pipes previous owner did a full debaffle and has a nice deep throaty sound. Not as loud as aftermarket but folks do notice me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I came from a VN800B and think the VN900c is way more comfortable, the seat does leave much to be desired but the drag bars and the forward pegs make for a more comfortable ride than my former 800 classic. the bike has plenty of torque and enough power to do whatever you want. i hope you enjoy your test ride and let us know if you decide to buy.

·
Registered
135 Posts
How many miles are on it and what are they asking for it? I am thinking of selling my 2007 900C. And I'm from northwest PA. I saw an 08 900 Classic at Erie's Rally this past weekend with 12K on it for $5000. I feel thats a little overpriced.

But to answer your question check the tires and brakes, and how old the battery is. The 900 is a bulletproof bike. I love mine but just want to move to a bigger bike.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They're asking $3,999.00 with 18,000 miles. It's that Plasma Blue.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
They're asking $3,999.00 with 18,000 miles. It's that Plasma Blue.
Pretty 'average' price for a 900C.

Make sure it fits well, make sure to sit on it!

'06 and '07 models are notorious for stator failures. Make sure there's no whirring/whining sound coming from the left of the engine, make sure charging voltage is good.

Check the usual stuff. Look for scuffs or things that might indicate it was dropped, look for signs of unusual wear, etc. May not be deal breakers but certainly might be reasons to tell the dealer they are gonna have to come down a bit. $4k is a decent price for one in very good condition, not one that's scratched!

When I look at used bikes I also make a habit of checking under the seat and taking a look at the wiring. No clue what the PO had done and maybe the PO cut and electrical-taped the heck out of the wiring to install their portable espresso machine or whatever. If the wiring looks like a mess, then you probably don't want it, lest you be posting threads on here chasing electrical gremlins!

Other'n that, show us some pics! You'll love the 900!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Blue is the third fastest, so not a bad choice lol

·
Registered
87 Posts
One place I always check is the underside of the bike / frame. Nobody looks there to see if its been abused; scuffed; cased; etc.... which is a great indicator of how the previous owner treated the bike (in general). An abused bike can imply poor maintenance by a careless owner.

Also - it's a good "tell" to see the bike at the PO's house / garage....just to get a feel for if they take care of their other stuff too can translate to a well kept bike. No guarantees though.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Everybody thinks red is fast but the short wave lenght offers more wind resistance than the long waves of blue. The blue is the fastest, science is on my side.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Everyone knows Kawasaki makes green the fastest. The only thing that trumps that rule is the special edition clause lol

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I rode it tonight, boy what a difference in feel from my VN750. Feet out front and it really felt good. Didn't have any noticable popping on decel and acceleration was smooth. Cobra pipes sounded good but not overly loud. Said they would probably knock another $200 off because I didn't like what tread was left on the front tire. Now I just have to make up my mind....

·
Registered
77 Posts
Blacked out is the fastest...you don't see it coming and I'm usually a mile away by the time you turn your head to look! :-D

(Disclaimer: this is strictly for fun...no need to comment on safety, although me saying this is slightly detracting from the humor of the comment so I digress...)

-Delta
Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
340 Posts
Blacked out is the fastest...you don't see it coming and I'm usually a mile away by the time you turn your head to look! :-D

(Disclaimer: this is strictly for fun...no need to comment on safety, although me saying this is slightly detracting from the humor of the comment so I digress...)

-Delta
Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
From 1 Delta to another.. blacked out is to hard to keep shiny :D

·
Registered
165 Posts
Everybody thinks red is fast but the short wave lenght offers more wind resistance than the long waves of blue. The blue is the fastest, science is on my side.

I have to agree with Steve here. Blue is by far the fastest. This has nothing to due with my bike, car and truck all being blue... it's just simple facts.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts