Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sold my 2012 StreetGlide with 7000 miles on it. The SG was a nice bike but for the majority of riding I am doing I feel it was just too much bike (yeah I know I took a pretty good hit selling a bike less than a year old). Personally I didn't care for the fairing as it seemed to cause too much buffeting no matter what I added or did to eliminate the issue. I also didn't care for all the extraneous engine noise (valve train and primary noise) that is excepted by the die hard Harley riders as "normal". If I was to stay with Harley I think the FatBoy would be a better choice for what I am looking for but I don't think I am willing to except the inferior antiquated mechanical design that Harley presents, especially with my previous experience.

Also to be perfectly honest I didn't care for the attitude of both Harley and some of the dealers towards the customer. It seems the market share that Harley enjoys is directly reflected by the attitude towards customers, and beings I am not a dye in the wool Harley guy I figured it was time to cut my losses and look in a different direction. So enough Harley bashing.

I realize there is no perfect motorcycle out there and any choice will be a series of compromises. But minimizing the compromises to the minimum is the goal. The style of riding I enjoy is around town cruising and two to three day road trips.

So this brings me to a new 1700 Vulcan Nomad as a possible (probable) good choice for what I am looking for from a motorcycle. The only thing the Nomad doesn't offer that I would really like to have is ABS brakes, but otherwise it seems it would fit the bill nicely. Also beings I have zero metric experience I have no idea what I am in for as far as do it yourself maintenance and what to expect from dealer service depts. for warranty issues.

So I understand you guys will have a tendency to be somewhat biased but I would like to get some opinions as to what I am thinking and also to what your personal experiences have been with the concerns I may have.
Thanks

·
BOTM Winner, April 2013
701 Posts
I don't have a Nomad, I ride a 2011 Vaquero. It does have a fairing w/5" shield, but I added a 10" Windvest shield. I totally LOVE my Vaquero. I think both bikes are basically built on the same platform; frame, engine, tranny, wheels. A bike with a windshield can be set up properly to cut out almost all buffeting, with the right size shield and fork-mounted wind deflectors (lowers).

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I have an 09 Nomad and it is an assume scoot, but if you are looking for a better after market dealer experience than harley IMHO you will be disappointed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have an 09 Nomad and it is an assume scoot, but if you are looking for a better after market dealer experience than harley IMHO you will be disappointed.
Not really looking for after market dealer experience as I prefer OEM equipment.
But I wouldn't be looking at doing much if any upgrading to the bike.
Just looking for good dealer support and less issues with the bike than I had with my Harley.
Also to be honest I don't really care for the Harley culture among some of the folks that own Harley's.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I have a 2012 Nomad. Bought it new last October. And I already have 11000 miles on it. No serious complaints about it.

The negatives. Heat. She cooks my thighs in the hot weather. Not enough for me to change bikes but quite noticable. Also the big windshield gets pushed around by traffic at highway speeds and high winds. And thats it!!

The pros. Good power. Comfortable. Handles easily for a big heavy bike. 6 gears. Cruise control.

I commute 45 miles each way almost every day. Its a great ride!

As far as dealers go. I think its hit or miss. The first one I went to was not customer friendly in the parts dept or management. Service was great. The one I go to now is much better all over but I double check service as its not quite as good as the first one.

Goid luck with your new rude.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 2012 Nomad. Bought it new last October. And I already have 11000 miles on it. No serious complaints about it.

The negatives. Heat. She cooks my thighs in the hot weather. Not enough for me to change bikes but quite noticable. Also the big windshield gets pushed around by traffic at highway speeds and high winds. And thats it!!

The pros. Good power. Comfortable. Handles easily for a big heavy bike. 6 gears. Cruise control.

I commute 45 miles each way almost every day. Its a great ride!

As far as dealers go. I think its hit or miss. The first one I went to was not customer friendly in the parts dept or management. Service was great. The one I go to now is much better all over but I double check service as its not quite as good as the first one.

Goid luck with your new rude.

Is the heat issue attributed to exhaust or engine heat?
Is the heat due to cat. converters?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I would say the heat is a combination of exhaust and engine heat. I have a 2009 and the retrofitted heat shield kit (which a new one should already have) has helped. With 1700 cc of engine stuffed between your legs it's not hard to imagine it could be a warm ride on a hot day. My only heat complaint is on hot days when stuck in traffic, what bike isn't hot then?

Also, if you really don't like the heat you can install the aftermarket KAMS kit on the Nomad (comes stock on the Voyager) that helps blow engine heat down to the ground.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would say the heat is a combination of exhaust and engine heat. I have a 2009 and the retrofitted heat shield kit (which a new one should already have) has helped. With 1700 cc of engine stuffed between your legs it's not hard to imagine it could be a warm ride on a hot day. My only heat complaint is on hot days when stuck in traffic, what bike isn't hot then?

Also, if you really don't like the heat you can install the aftermarket KAMS kit on the Nomad (comes stock on the Voyager) that helps blow engine heat down to the ground.
I just figure that because the Nomad is liquid cooled it had to run cooler than my 2012 StreetGlide.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Just sold my 2012 StreetGlide with 7000 miles on it. The SG was a nice bike but for the majority of riding I am doing I feel it was just too much bike (yeah I know I took a pretty good hit selling a bike less than a year old). Personally I didn't care for the fairing as it seemed to cause too much buffeting no matter what I added or did to eliminate the issue. I also didn't care for all the extraneous engine noise (valve train and primary noise) that is excepted by the die hard Harley riders as "normal". If I was to stay with Harley I think the FatBoy would be a better choice for what I am looking for but I don't think I am willing to except the inferior antiquated mechanical design that Harley presents, especially with my previous experience.

Also to be perfectly honest I didn't care for the attitude of both Harley and some of the dealers towards the customer. It seems the market share that Harley enjoys is directly reflected by the attitude towards customers, and beings I am not a dye in the wool Harley guy I figured it was time to cut my losses and look in a different direction. So enough Harley bashing.

I realize there is no perfect motorcycle out there and any choice will be a series of compromises. But minimizing the compromises to the minimum is the goal. The style of riding I enjoy is around town cruising and two to three day road trips.

So this brings me to a new 1700 Vulcan Nomad as a possible (probable) good choice for what I am looking for from a motorcycle. The only thing the Nomad doesn't offer that I would really like to have is ABS brakes, but otherwise it seems it would fit the bill nicely. Also beings I have zero metric experience I have no idea what I am in for as far as do it yourself maintenance and what to expect from dealer service depts. for warranty issues.

So I understand you guys will have a tendency to be somewhat biased but I would like to get some opinions as to what I am thinking and also to what your personal experiences have been with the concerns I may have.
Thanks
Don't know about in the USA, but here in Oz, the 2010 N0mad has ABS

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Since you asked for opinions, mine would be your going sideways. Perhaps it's time for a connie? (Concourse with abs).

·
Registered
225 Posts
My Nomad gets hot in traffic in the summer but no hotter then the road kings I have ridden. The stock seat is terrible I put an airhawk on and dished out the rear of the stocker now its great. No real buffeting but bigger lowers made it even better. It has like 4" of travel and I think you will notice a more plush ride over the hd. I have V&H slip ons. Not very loud but eliminates most engine noise. Cruise control is awesome and passenger comfort is very good. Shifting is loud in first gears but shift early and it isnt an issue. Neutral finder works really well. Any HD I have been on nuetral was always very difficult to find. For the money it is a great value with the rear passenger backrest rear floor boards and cruise control. I am very happy with mine.

·
Registered
492 Posts
The heat issue for me is from the cylinder heads. I have rather short legs and they sit quite close to the rear head. Also the 1700s are only water cooled on the heads. The rest is air cooled. I will be putting on some heat shields sooner or later.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hard to find used nomads they are a good bike and people hang on to them, you can find dealers with unsold one or two years old you can save some that way. Yes no abs but four disks can stop you fine, had low rider and road king my nomad 11 is so much better you gas and oil and that is one oil not three have 11,000 plus miles oil changes new tires no leeks no surprises when go to take a ride, makes noise 1&2 gear CLUNK you know your in gear,handles better than road king many more extras come with bike they say 16,000 you can get one for 13 to 14 if you shop. If you get one you will be happy, this is a ride not a hobby or job. Hope this helps. Ed

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well since I started this thread I have been out looking at new Nomads.
What I am finding is none of the dealers I have been to will let you take a Nomad for a test ride. Now how in the hell is someone to decide if he likes the bike, if he can't take a test ride first?
I am sure not going to drive 200 miles to a demo ride event and I am not going to buy without riding one.
Guess I need to look at something else.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2013
701 Posts
Well since I started this thread I have been out looking at new Nomads.
What I am finding is none of the dealers I have been to will let you take a Nomad for a test ride. Now how in the hell is someone to decide if he likes the bike, if he can't take a test ride first?
I am sure not going to drive 200 miles to a demo ride event and I am not going to buy without riding one.
Guess I need to look at something else.
A friend of mine was told the same thing about riding a Voyager. Another dealer had a USED Voyager they were going to allow him to ride. I spoke to the salesman whom I bought mine from and told him my friend was going to the other dealer because they were letting him take a test ride. I told him my friend is a mature grown man who IS going to buy a motorcycle, not a 19 yr old kid looking for a free joyride on a crotch rocket, but if he goes to another dealer to get that test ride, that is where he will buy it. My salesman quickly said "Call him and tell him we WILL give him a test ride! If I have to uncrate a new one and assemble it, we will give him a test ride."
I would try that if I were you. I'd say, "Look man, I'm a serious buyer, not some punk kid. But you can't expect me to plunk down $12 Grand without a test ride." If they still balk at a test ride, then I would walk, AFTER telling the sales manager why he was losing a sale.
I still can't understand why Harley and BMW dealers give out test rides like penny candy, but Japanese bike dealers act like a request for a test ride is like asking for a free motorcycle!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
A friend of mine was told the same thing about riding a Voyager. Another dealer had a USED Voyager they were going to allow him to ride. I spoke to the salesman whom I bought mine from and told him my friend was going to the other dealer because they were letting him take a test ride. I told him my friend is a mature grown man who IS going to buy a motorcycle, not a 19 yr old kid looking for a free joyride on a crotch rocket, but if he goes to another dealer to get that test ride, that is where he will buy it. My salesman quickly said "Call him and tell him we WILL give him a test ride! If I have to uncrate a new one and assemble it, we will give him a test ride."
I would try that if I were you. I'd say, "Look man, I'm a serious buyer, not some punk kid. But you can't expect me to plunk down $12 Grand without a test ride." If they still balk at a test ride, then I would walk, AFTER telling the sales manager why he was losing a sale.
I still can't understand why Harley and BMW dealers give out test rides like penny candy, but Japanese bike dealers act like a request for a test ride is like asking for a free motorcycle!
Yeah I have been trying that approach. I did find one dealer that which is 80 miles one way from my home said I could ride their Nomad 1 mile out and 1 mile back, but if I put more than 2 miles on it I would have to buy it.
Well I declined that offer as a 2 miles test drive is just pissing in the wind as far as I am concerned.
It's not like I want to go out and take a 15 to 20 mile test ride, but 2 miles is ridiculous. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I have been telling the salesmen the truth about just selling my 2012 Street Glide, and maybe they figure that the Nomad would compare to the SG and so they are wasting time dealing with me.
But your right about not being a punk kid, as I have cash on hand and I am in my late 50's.
But really this situation gives me some idea as to how I may be treated in the future by Kaw and the dealers so in light of this I will be looking at other alternatives other than Kawasaki and the Power Sports dealer network.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2013
701 Posts
Yeah I have been trying that approach. I did find one dealer that which is 80 miles one way from my home said I could ride their Nomad 1 mile out and 1 mile back, but if I put more than 2 miles on it I would have to buy it.
Well I declined that offer as a 2 miles test drive is just pissing in the wind as far as I am concerned.
It's not like I want to go out and take a 15 to 20 mile test ride, but 2 miles is ridiculous. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I have been telling the salesmen the truth about just selling my 2012 Street Glide, and maybe they figure that the Nomad would compare to the SG and so they are wasting time dealing with me.
But your right about not being a punk kid, as I have cash on hand and I am in my late 50's.
But really this situation gives me some idea as to how I may be treated in the future by Kaw and the dealers so in light of this I will be looking at other alternatives other than Kawasaki and the Power Sports dealer network.
I can relate to how you feel, but I believe it's a shame to write off the entire brand. I bought my first Kawasaki in October 2011, a 2011 Vaquero. Man, this is the best bike I've ever had! It took WAY less mods (and $$) to make it feel really comfortable for long distance riding than any other bike I've owned. I've had a Suzuki Volusia 800, a Suzuki DR650SE, a Honda VTX 1300R, a Honda VTX 1800N, a Yamaha Roadliner 1900, and a Yamaha Stratoliner S 1900. I loved all of these bikes, but none as much as I love my Vaquero! If I were you I would ask to speak to the general manager of that Kaw dealer and give him the scoop. He can decide if he wants a valuable customer, or wants someone who will dissuade a dozen or more potential buyers from shopping at his business. Hopefully, he's not an idiot, and will see the light.

·
Registered
864 Posts
This is an easy decision V2K, 2030 cc no heat issues , i repeat 2030cc no heat issues. More power than you will ever use. They are bullet proof, fun, fast, and no harder to ride than a 1700. Now its a big bike, when you pull up next to a regular m/c they look small in comparison. Twist the throttle and start grinnin you will be hooked. Bulldozer

1 - 18 of 18 Posts