Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is are a 2002 and 2006 Vulcan 750 bikes near me

2002 has 3,619 miles on. I sat on it tonight. We did start it up and let it run for ~ 4 minutes. Maybe it needed longer, because after I took the choke off, it only ran for 20 seconds or so. I didn't push it, because I wasn't riding it tonight anyway. Honestly, the bike looks really clean. He recently bought it, but had a maintenance log from the previous owner. Aside from oil changes, here are some highlights. Is that abnormal about of gas related work for a bike with such low miles?
  • 05' rear coil, and front driving lights added
  • 06' carb cleaned, added Seafoam, ran tank almost dry, filled w/Shell (did he have bad gas, or some issue perhaps, or is this winterization), air filters cleaned and oiled
  • 10' seafoam again. 40z techron
  • 14' carb cleaned, new battery, brake fluid flush. petcock/fuel pump rebuilt, gas tank flushed

2006 - going to see this one soon I hope. 10,000 miles, not much info really.
- aftermarket slip-on megaphone pipes.

Thanks for any insight

·
Super Moderator
5,707 Posts
Here are the Kelly Blue Book prices on these two bikes. If the prices are past $2000 you might consider getting a 900. Much more bike for not so much more money. I say this to every first bike buyer. Bikes are like boats, after you get used to the size of the boat you want a bigger one. Do not concern yourself with the size and weight. Once you get used to riding there will be no issues. Other 900 pluses, fuel injection, parts availability, accessory availability, and highway comfort. Good Luck.

2002 - Trade In $1145 - Dealer $1950 makes Private Party $1500
2006 - Trade In $1355 - Dealer $2270 makes Private Party $1800

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great advice on price and I'm with you on the 900. I told a friend who rides, I'm looking to pay trade-in value, especially for the 750s. Both bikes are starting at dealer prices, so there's some work to be done there. If I'm giving up FI, etc. I want a most reasonable price.

I just found a 900 Classic 10 minutes from me. Looking at that tomorrow AM. It's not so much weight or size, but I found the S to be top heavy believe it or not. The 750 felt much better to me. If the 900 feels good, I'll look at a 900 custom later in day and hopefully end the journey and get back in the saddle ASAP, even if it's just short rides in the cold.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Sounds like that 2002 has just been underused and it sat a lot. Is that the maintenance log? I ask because I run Seafoam in my bike like every 3-4 fill ups just as a preventative. Not every couple years lol. The biggest issue with the 750 is praying that you don’t need to change the stator. It’s either a lot of work or a lot of $$$ to replace so you’d have to pick your poison if you come to that point. Regardless, The 750 is a great bike, but Tourer makes some good points as to why the 900 may be a better choice. If I ever part with my 750 I’m most likely going to get a 900 custom.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I had read about the stator. I have mechanical ability, but not really the space/time to replace it. Is the stator more about age or wear/tear?

I wouldn't call it a log. More like an Excel journal. Things like, Running Well! First ride this year! Plus some of the maintenance milesstones, etc.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Thanks. I had read about the stator. I have mechanical ability, but not really the space/time to replace it. Is the stator more about age or wear/tear?

I wouldn't call it a log. More like an Excel journal. Things like, Running Well! First ride this year! Plus some of the maintenance milesstones, etc.
I’m very comfortable turning a wrench but I live in the city and I have no space to do major jobs so I get your point there. The stator problems with the 750 are not unique or more common than other bikes, it’s just the fact that you have to either remove or tilt the engine to change it. Just a design miss by Kawasaki and they never corrected it across a 21 yr production run. There are aftermarket plates that rectify the issue but you still have to take the bike apart to use them. They’re not very cheap either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.