Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
BOTM Winner, October 2015
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looked at a GW GL1800 last night. The array of switches and controls looks like it's unchanged for decades. I counted THIRTY SEVEN buttons & controls that are NOT part of dozen plus out on the handlebars.

And all of the CB radio stuff? Even on the 2016's? C'mon Honda!

Attachments

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
chi'man,, chill baby. the gw is fitted for the tek'nogeek. these folx need to have buttons to push as they are bored riding these 2 wheel cars have no personality. am surprised it doesn't have a/c and side airbags... wait.. it does!?

watt you need is one these more sanitary sleds Exile Cycles

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
Looked at a GW GL1800 last night. The array of switches and controls looks like it's unchanged for decades. I counted THIRTY SEVEN buttons & controls that are NOT part of dozen plus out on the handlebars.

And all of the CB radio stuff? Even on the 2016's? C'mon Honda!
I think GW's are cool...for a long ride-like 2000 miles. Other than that...kinda overkill.

chi'man,, chill baby. the gw is fitted for the tek'nogeek. these folx need to have buttons to push as they are bored riding these 2 wheel cars have no personality. am surprised it doesn't have a/c and side airbags... wait.. it does!?

watt you need is one these more sanitary sleds Exile Cycles
You can't be serious!!! Oh wait...you are. The limited model comes with a sunroof ...or so I heard.

Next bike...Goldwing!:grin2:

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I've always liked a bike that has a windshield to block the wind, and then a vent in the windshield to let air through.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, the windshield vent is nice on hot days, as are the flaps that open in font of your feet on cold days releasing engine heat to keep your feet from getting cold. On cold days they are used with the heated grips and individual heated seats. The gps girl still sounds the same, memory auto suspension adjust buttons for passenger weight is handy as is the single sided swingarm. The multitude of buttons for the am/fm presets is for the traveler. Individual intercom/cb/audio add to the mix. There's a mute button. The cd player, well, ok, that's a gimme. Use the aux button for your ipod. Display screen options take a couple of additional buttons including a zoom, another one for ambient temperature, another one for bass/treble etc..., a rotary knob that mirrors a few other functions but otherwise serves a purpose. Separate tuning/volume/channel rockers....oh, and the weatherband button!...lest we also forget push button reverse? (back that baby up an inclined parking space by yourself and you'll probably blow a kidney). Oh, and a centerstand. No button for that though. Then there's the remote lock key fob complete with 'find me' button. Then there's the smooth as silk make-ya-grin whisper quiet 6 cylinder boxer style engine...warp factor 7 Mr. Sulu.....

This whole regime of additional buttons moving to the side fairing faces started in '09 with the airbag model. This layout is still in effect -- bag or not. In fact, the 09's were the last American built wings. There were extras made to carry over in to 2010. No new wings in 11, and slight side bag/trunk restyling and gps transferable SD cards in 2012 -- now lovingly made in Japan.

Unfortunately, no obnoxious straight-thru's or other overly loud-for-loud's-sake exhaust to make a car driver want to push a biker off the road.

Oh well, you can't have everything :)

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I can't get over the fact that the dash seems identical to the Honda Accord my mom used to drive and many of the switches are similar.

BUT; don't knock 'em till you try 'em. Those are quite a machine to ride. It's more manageable than you think, ridiculously smooth and very, very quick. The riding position doesn't work for me and I'll admit, it's not quite the kind of "bike" I want. But they are quite the machine, especially for long distance riding.

I get the sentiment about CB but, unfortunately, motorcycles are SOOO SLOOOWWW to adopt new technology. And CB does have it's advantages. Mainly, you don't have to pair it. There's really nothing wrong with CB as long as everyone is using it. I don't have a CB on my bike and neither does my wife, we both use bluetooth headsets. But if we frequently rode in different groups and felt the need to communicate, CB would make sense. But the reality is, even in these group rides, including one I do every week with the same group; I've never felt the need to have a CB and the guys that do never use it. Though I still wouldn't mind having it.

Don't get too excited though; even though the switches are there, the CB is an option that'll run you quite a chunk of change. Kawasaki is similar. The Vaquero and Voyager have the CB 'switches' but the unit itself (and requisite headsets) cost extra.

What I'D like to see (Indian does this, sort of) is integration with bluetooth headsets. Indian has it right with their Chieftain and Roadmaster in that you can pair a bluetooth headset to the bike for radio, etc. What I'd like is a bike with a built in CB that will pair to my headset and use handlebar controls. Then at least, I'd have it if I needed it. I'm not going to take my bluetooth headset out to wire in some proprietary headset with a leash going from my helmet to the bike. No thanks. It's 2015. No wires, please.

There are some Goldwing features I wouldn't mind if my Vaquero had. The push-button air suspension. Pulling my seat off and grabbing my suspension pump won't kill me, but being able to push a button to change for rider, rider+passenger, rider+trailer, rider+passenger+trailer would be nice! I also wouldn't mind integrated GPS but not in the way any current bikes are doing it. Always-outdated poorly-working integrated GPS's, no thanks. But a number of cars currently have the ability to display 'apps' from your phone on the screen, including your favorite GPS app. Plug the phone in to charge in the glovebox or saddlebag, and use the app connect features to display Google Maps (or whatever your favorite is) up-to-date GPS map. Though to date, I've never minded getting lost on the motorcycle. Part of the 'fun' for me certainly is checking those maps occasionally. If I REALLY need a GPS, (like navigating a foreign city), then the voice-commands in my headset (via my GPS app on my phone) works just fine. I can probably count on my hands the number of times I've used that. My usual M.O. is to just ride, stop when I need to and check the map, ride some more, rinse and repeat until I'm either at my destination or somewhere better.

Ah well. We only got fuel injection 10 years ago (and not on every model) and ABS became standard on the Vaquero this year. Technology moves slowly on motorcycles.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
this is a me too moment. I have all this krap on several of my sleds..
our bikes are becoming cars. we have too much creature comforts. they distract from the core of what it is/was to ride yor bike.. just you, the bike, the road. ok, toss in some weather and scenery.. tooling down the road on yor faithful (or not?) stead.. lost in yor thoughts, sorting out all of lifes mysteries that most need to be relinquished to the trash bucket. paying attention to the machine, whats it doing? how does it sound? the road, how does it feel? scenery, unfolding? Plenty of sensory input to occupy yor brain..

but now we have stereos and gps and electronic computers out the wazoo! all they do is distract from the real reason we ride.. itsa wonder we put up with all this bs on our bikes..
its like going to the mountains or sea coast to sit and soak up the scenery and we bring all our electronic communicators and toys.. why'd we even bother to go there? we could just as well sit home and have our brains sucked out with these confabulations..

probly that new valkrye is better way to get that flatt 6 motor..

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
For sure, Ponch. Though everyone draws that line differently. It's like camping. The guy in the backpacking tent is scoffing at the guy in the cabin tent; who is scoffing at the guy with the air mattress who is snubbing his nose at the travel trailer; who is rolling his eyes at the big fifth wheel pulling into the campsite by the guy scoffing at the old couple in the massive motorhome. Everyone has a line, and everyone beyond that line isn't a true "whatever" (Biker, camper, fisherman, boater, whatever).

I've got a stereo on my bike and I love it. The cool thing about a stereo is you don't HAVE to use it. Quite often, it's off. Like you say, the road, the scenery, etc., that's what it's about! But on long days in the saddle sometimes a stereo is nice to break things up a bit. Forget stereos because there's a guy riding cross-country on some hard-tail without a windshield and nothing but a bed-roll.

You don't HAVE to use the creature comforts; but sometimes, they can be nice to have. Like GPS; something I very rarely use. But it sure does come in handy once in a while.

You know the old joke about waving to your fellow biker.

Why didn't the Harley wave back?

He was afraid if he let go something would fall off.
He refuses to acknowledge any motorcycle that's paid for as a 'real motorcycle'.

Why wouldn't the sportbike wave back?

His ballistic leather track suit doesn't allow for any other position other than fetal.
Also, he hasn't been riding long enough to know what that means.
And, his mom told him not to talk to strangers.

Why wouldn't the BMW rider wave back?

That isn't proper riding form.
He refuses to acknowledge any motorcycle that doesn't look weird enough.

And...

Why didn't the Goldwing rider wave back?

Too busy adjusting GPS, XM radio, weather radio and RADAR detector.
Or he just fell asleep :)

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Why didn't the Goldwing rider wave back? Too busy adjusting GPS, XM radio, weather radio and RADAR detector. Or he just fell asleep :)
he doesn't need a tent or camper or motorhome or even hotel. he could just as easily park the bike, stretch out and get some zees on that rolling bark 0 lounger. watch some Netflix on his LCD dashboard, bet its probly even got a juice bar bilt in complete with squirelly sippy straw.
the trailer he's pulling has a full shower and toilet facility. who needs a hotel?

·
Registered
19 Posts
One of the other interesting facts, is that as people age, they their expectations change. My wife and I have ridden extensively on Adventure Trips through Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Australia and New Zealand. But now that we are approaching 50, she says that the days of doing long stretches of dirt rode or roughing it in a little tent are quickly coming to an end. She wants a few more comforts ... and she is encouraging me to get a Goldwing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts