Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, going to install it right now. I am pumped. Don't think I am going to be bottoming out any more.

Old and New side by side. Can you guess which is the new one?

I'm a hand model, can't you tell. Look what I am holding!

Oh, the amount of choice I will have for ride comfort!

So, who's jealous?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Definitely spiffy. Looks like direct replacement...?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, direct replacement. Took about 10 minutes to install. I am getting all antsy right now. Waiting for my all my stainless cables to come in. Another week and the bike should be road ready again... 2 or 3 more weeks and I should be riding it.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2015
766 Posts
10 minutes?
Last time I tried to take the shock off it took about half a day and I ended up puting it back together because i couldn't get it off. LOL Did you use any special tools?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
10 minutes?
Last time I tried to take the shock off it took about half a day and I ended up puting it back together because i couldn't get it off. LOL Did you use any special tools?
10 Mins is all it took me... as for tools.. heh.

Ummm.

1/2" Ratchet
6" extension
17 mm socket
A little floor jack
and an 8mm open/box end wrench to pry the upper shock mount open a little bit to acccomodate the new Progressive Shock.

Oh and a pair of forearms that are the size of tree trunks.

Took me all of 10 minutes to get the old shock off and out and the new one in.

I have to say that the most frustrating part was the 1/8 turns I had to make to loosen/tighten the lower shock bolt. Had I have put a longer extension on my wrench, I would have solved that problem. I was just being lazy.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2015
766 Posts
Thanks, I think I missed the part of using a floor jack. That's to comprress/decompress the spring right? Both wheels of the bike on the floor.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I think I missed the part of using a floor jack. That's to comprress/decompress the spring right? Both wheels of the bike on the floor.
Yes, both wheels are off the floor. You use the jack to take the weight of the rear wheel off the spring and it comes off and drops out.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That thing looks sweet, Carl.

How many miles did you have on your OEM shock/spring when it began bottoming out? I'd like to know how far off in the future that Progressive shock might be.
45000 km or 28000 miles on the beast. Take into consideration that I am 265 lbs dry. This bike was working its arse off to hold me up. I was riding with my daughter on there with me and had to watch all the bumps pretty carefully, but that shock was bagged.

I went all over town here looking for a new coil over spring. Checked the net, did probably a weeks worth of hard searching... came up with nothing. The stock spring has a slight taper to it, I can't remember the dimensions off hand, but it was slight and I couldn't find anything that would fit the shock. I bit the bullet and ordered the progressive spring... it was either that or fork out the 600 bones that the dealer wanted here.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the info!

I just got off of the phone with a buddy, and it just so happened that I was describing the different areas I keep finding on this Kawasaki that seems like their engineering intent was to make any and everything difficult to replace with anything but the OEM equipment, so I am not surprised at the trouble you had with the spring. I can see the same problems in the fuel line (starts larger, is smaller at carb? Really? Who does that besides Kawasaki?) and the front turn signals, to name just a few.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome, thanks for the info!

I just got off of the phone with a buddy, and it just so happened that I was describing the different areas I keep finding on this Kawasaki that seems like their engineering intent was to make any and everything difficult to replace with anything but the OEM equipment, so I am not surprised at the trouble you had with the spring. I can see the same problems in the fuel line (starts larger, is smaller at carb? Really? Who does that besides Kawasaki?) and the front turn signals, to name just a few.
Well, hate to break it to you, but that is the case with most vehicles today... I have a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon. Great car until the warranty was up, then everything electrical that could go wrong, went wrong. $2.50 relay for the blinkers required ripping the dash out, de-soldering, soldering and replacing... the same thing that my 72 GMC requires and I can change that GMC's relay in the parking lot after purchasing it.

I share your feelings on the OEM needs to be replaced with OEM, but that is life I guess. Vulcans don't have the aftermarket support that Harley does... Hmmmm, maybe that is why I am changing a lot of the stuff that I have on the bike over to Harley parts...? Oh yeah, yesterday I ordered a set of Harley signals. :)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Well, hate to break it to you, but that is the case with most vehicles today... I have a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon. Great car until the warranty was up, then everything electrical that could go wrong, went wrong. $2.50 relay for the blinkers required ripping the dash out, de-soldering, soldering and replacing... the same thing that my 72 GMC requires and I can change that GMC's relay in the parking lot after purchasing it.

I share your feelings on the OEM needs to be replaced with OEM, but that is life I guess. Vulcans don't have the aftermarket support that Harley does... Hmmmm, maybe that is why I am changing a lot of the stuff that I have on the bike over to Harley parts...? Oh yeah, yesterday I ordered a set of Harley signals. :)
Yeah, I understand for cars and vehicles that are advanced adn compact in design... but a single-carb basic motorcycle? I still don't believe a few of the things I've seen needed to be done that way... in fact, they would have required engineering design the opposite way of what would have been easy for them and us... but I digress...

Those Harley turn signals... are they for the front? Now that I have the bike running I'm desperately looking for alternatives (to save cash, not really for styling) to the OEM front turn signals.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I understand for cars and vehicles that are advanced adn compact in design... but a single-carb basic motorcycle? I still don't believe a few of the things I've seen needed to be done that way... in fact, they would have required engineering design the opposite way of what would have been easy for them and us... but I digress...

Those Harley turn signals... are they for the front? Now that I have the bike running I'm desperately looking for alternatives (to save cash, not really for styling) to the OEM front turn signals.
I ordered a set of the 41mm turn signal relocation clamps off ebay, they will accommodate a Harley turn signal. You just have to make sure you get a Harley turn signal with a 3 wire set up - Ground, signal and running light. The rears will be more of a challenge I think because Harley rears will not have the same mount as the Vulcan's.

The relocation clamps are cheap. I purchased mine for 25.00 shipped to my door in Canada. The signals are 54 for the pair with shipping included. A guy Bk-Rider is the dude I do business with for this stuff off Ebay.

Though I haven't received the signals yet, I trust that they are of decent quality. I have ordered Ape Hangers from him before and they are very nice.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You asked who is jealous...... well I am.
I am going to be purchasing one in spring so my wife can ride with me.
Is that the 365 1148? They do look like they are better made than OEM.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts