Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your predictions for the longevity of the V2K ?? I dont mean as an available model, I mean HOW MANY MILES do you think it will last.
I put 40k mi on my first V2K , 24K on second, my third isnt broken in yet
Guess I will keep a tally as all three are still in the family!!! My two sons got "hand me down" Rogues. So far only issue has been a horn relay ,
OH and MANY tires LOL
The highest miler is using some oil , but I blame an ill fitting K&N filter for the dustout !!!! NOT the bikes fault!!!MINE!!!

·
Registered
538 Posts
What are your predictions for the longevity of the V2K ?? I dont mean as an available model, I mean HOW MANY MILES do you think it will last.
I put 40k mi on my first V2K , 24K on second, my third isnt broken in yet
Guess I will keep a tally as all three are still in the family!!! My two sons got "hand me down" Rogues. So far only issue has been a horn relay ,
OH and MANY tires LOL
The highest miler is using some oil , but I blame an ill fitting K&N filter for the dustout !!!! NOT the bikes fault!!!MINE!!!
I've got over 40K on mine and it's as tight as I day I bought it. I realisticly expect 125K out of it before any major work. I ride it conservatively and take meticulous care of it. I get good mileage from my OEM tires (6000 on the latest front with lots of tread left), and I use nothing but the best sythetic oil.

When it's ready it will get a overhaul and then back on the road for another 125,000!! This bike will outlive me.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
longevity

OBG, Im with you on that !!
But given that this is now an obsolete bike, should we be buying pistons NOW so that we have them when the time eventually comes around to needing them?? I know that I can always get the cylinders bored & sleeved back to std , But if I ever need pistons??? Will we be able to get the parts ?? when we do actually need them?
Just wondering ??? I cant find anyone who makes a big bore kit for this engine and for sure , NO ONE will be tooling up for that project NOW!!!!
truthfully , I havent looked for .020 oversize , maybe they are available?? I was looking for a BIG bore kit , like 2.2 L/ 2.3L ??? etc an extra 150cc or better.

·
Registered
538 Posts
OBG, Im with you on that !!
But given that this is now an obsolete bike, should we be buying pistons NOW so that we have them when the time eventually comes around to needing them?? I know that I can always get the cylinders bored & sleeved back to std , But if I ever need pistons??? Will we be able to get the parts ?? when we do actually need them?
Just wondering ??? I cant find anyone who makes a big bore kit for this engine and for sure , NO ONE will be tooling up for that project NOW!!!!
truthfully , I havent looked for .020 oversize , maybe they are available?? I was looking for a BIG bore kit , like 2.2 L/ 2.3L ??? etc an extra 150cc or better.
Normal industry standards dictate that a manufacturer must supply parts for a given vehicle for 10 years after it's made. Even after that, parts will be available albeit, probably at a higher cost............not that they are cheap now. I would be looking at wheel bearings and fork seals before I'd be worried about engine parts. Maybe drain plugs??? It's hard to guess.

IMHO, going big bore with this engine would be a mistatke. It already runs hot in the summer months and big bore increases will only make that condition worse.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Obg

Interesting!!!! the heat issue, Does you fan cut in often !!! have you heard the fan run after shut down???
I have never heard my fan come on either of them & yet I HAVE experienced an overheat issue only once. It vapor locked fuel system , tossed a fault code & never did it again. Ive checked the fan motor,relay, the switch/sensor, cant explain why this bike didnt turn the fan on ???It has pulled a trailer across Texas in AUG and it never showed any signs , yet one hot day @ Sturgis it did. But in its defense , it was on the Needles hwy , slow speed, many twisties, climbing & REALLY high humidity that day plus 100+ ambient air temp & LIKELY much higher temp down at engine level!!!
On both my previous Vulcans , I alwasy heard the fan run , espec. immed. after you come off the hwy & shut it down. But neither of the V2K's have ever done that.
In honesty, since I couldnt find a cause , I turned a blind eye !!! neither seem worse for wear. It has always confused me , but none of my like minded budds have heard their V2K fans either!!!
Tis what it Tis

·
Registered
538 Posts
Nope. My fan works fine it's just that in summer, around here, my right leg (exhaust side), gets a tad hot. A larger bore would only add to the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts