Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I’ve been hear for a year and have used this wealth of knowledge many times. I have an 06 900 with 30k and I love it! Also I have a question about the charging system. I replaced the stator, rectifier and battery about 1000 miles ago and last night when I pulled off the interstate to get fuel the battery was dead. After walking home to get the truck and going back to bike to pull the batt then back to the house I put it on a 2 amp charge and the Battery takes a charge. This just happened last night so I haven’t tested the stator or rectifier yet. I installed the Ricks stuff off the tip I got on here last fall. Will I have to replace this every year or is it possible I just got a bad one? Has this happened to anyone else?

·
Registered
701 Posts
The battery takes a charge, but what about under a load - as in load tested?
A battery can have 13 volts when measured, but when you try to start the bike it wont.
Yep a new battery can be bad.
This is your first step - load test battery after its charged up and sits for a few hours.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Vulcandoc. I took the battery back to the place I purchased it they did a load test and said it was good 249 cold cranking amps but it only had 11 V so I put it on the trickle and got it up to 13 v. Bike starts. so I will let it idle and watch the volts and see if they drop. Since the batt took a charge from the trickle but only had 11 v when I took it out of the bike. My fear is they will, pointing to the rectifier or stater right? I will post after this test thank you for your help

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I unplugged the rectifier plug and it had oil in it!?! like an oil magnet!! Forks are clean brake cal is clean no leaks or drips from filter or motor or anywhere else. Completely dry yet the plug was wet!! WTH? Hopefully this is the problem After charging the battery on a trickle to 13.2 I put it back in the bike and it started and ran.i let it get to operating temp and the idle backed of meter said 13.8. I revel it and voltage went to nearly 15, I backed off and it dropped back to 13.8 and held. So strange why yesterday bike would not start and battery only had 11 volts when I checked it after I took it out. I could not test output cuz it wouldn’t start. I have added 0 electric accessories. Hopefully just a dirty connection at the rec/reg plug? I think im a little more confused today than I was yesterday.

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Ask your questions in 900 the forum where other owners can assist you as not
all read the new intro section.

Please fill in your profile to include your bike/location info and that
is easier using a PC vs the app. This will help others answer questions you may ask knowing what year and model bike you have.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts