Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 07 classic 900 i was thinking of takeing on a long ride good idea or not

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Most definitely go. You just read above about BikerBill's 1000 mile run. That was on a 500. On Sunday I did a 500 mile, one day run on my 750.

Your bike has far more endurance and stamina than you do. It'll do that with ease. Can you?

If you've never done a really long run then I suggest that you start with fairly long runs ahead of trip time so as to discover your needs (drink, some kind of seat covering, sun lotion, etc) before you commit to doing the trip. Do some 200+ mile runs first, maybe bumping it up a lot more in mileage a few times.

This will educate you on what its like and things to take along to make it enjoyable. Also, make at least one of those runs fully loaded so you have the feel of the machine in its full-distance mode and so you can perfect and adjust your tie-down procedures accordingly.

As long as the bike has proper fluid levels and the tires are good and aired up properly, it should be fine. But YOU and the load you'll be taking need to be worked out before the real trip comes along.

Have FUN!!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Then you definitely should go!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
By all means, do it! But just to add a cautious note, from experience. What is the mileage on the bike now, and have you encountered and repaired the dreaded fried stator? The '07 900s have a known issue with the stator. Doesn't hit everybody, but if it happens 500 miles from home it's a lot more hassle to deal with than in your own neighborhood. I didn't plan to spend a few days in Butte, MT, but that's what happened!

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,854 Posts
1000 miles in one trip you'll earn the Iron Butt patch.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
1000 miles in one trip you'll earn the Iron Butt patch.
To clarify: The 1,000 miles must be done in a single day. If that's not your style enjoy that same 1,000 miles over several days and see the sights.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,854 Posts
A 1000 miles in a day. WOW!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Most I've done in one day is 520'ish, bout 11 hours on the saddle, closed the day as the final light of day was going out and ended up pretty tired, all it did is saved me one xtra day on hte road to get back home and allowed the final day's ride to be a bit more relaxed.
It is NOT my cup of tea.

Much rather do a 250 to 350 mile day and enjoy the whole "stop and smell the roses" thing. Just passing trough an area without getting a geenral sense of place (at the very least) feels like a waste of time and gas, that's the only way the "Going to the Sun Road", or the West entrance to Yosemite or passing trough Zion will vreate very different memories than any local mountain curvy road.

If it was only a matter of mounting the bike and doing a challenging road there are plenty close by or I would do a track day... For me the travel thing is much more than Miles on the odometer and days away from home.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Most I've done in one day is 520'ish, bout 11 hours on the saddle, closed the day as the final light of day was going out and ended up pretty tired, all it did is saved me one xtra day on hte road to get back home and allowed the final day's ride to be a bit more relaxed.
It is NOT my cup of tea.

Much rather do a 250 to 350 mile day and enjoy the whole "stop and smell the roses" thing. Just passing trough an area without getting a geenral sense of place (at the very least) feels like a waste of time and gas, that's the only way the "Going to the Sun Road", or the West entrance to Yosemite or passing trough Zion will vreate very different memories than any local mountain curvy road.

If it was only a matter of mounting the bike and doing a challenging road there are plenty close by or I would do a track day... For me the travel thing is much more than Miles on the odometer and days away from home.
Yes and amen to all that. When I did my one day burn from Reno, we had a bit of a family emergency so I had to get home pronto. Not my cup of tea either, especialy now that I'm about 12 years older. Like my old trucker dad tolsd me, "son, if you take off at 7 am and drive 50 MPH all day, you'll still be a long ways at supper time from where you ate breakfast, and you won't be near as tired."

1 - 16 of 16 Posts