Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trading in my 2009 Vulcan 900LT and my best option is to drive it 1300 miles to Kentucky from South Dakota. I would appreciate any tips that are specific to this size motocycle and would love to hear from people who have made some longer trips in this bike.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I put over 1600 miles on my Custom in 6 days. These bikes are great for long riding. For me it help to break the trip up into small sections. Just concentrate on the ride to your next fuel stop, lunch, water break, etc. while ignoring the rest and a 1300 mile trip becomes very manageable. Set realistic goals for how far you want to ride in a day and don't be afraid to cut a day short. Forcing yourself to ride when you're tire is no good. Pack lightly too. I guarantee you don't need to bring as much stuff as you think you do.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ditto to that, put 3000 miles on a trip with my 96 custom a few years ago, just took our time & enjoyed it. No need to over do it!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yea, got to break it up. I go about an hour, stop for 10 minutes, go about an hour, stop for 10 minutes, etc. After about 3-4 hours of that I stop for a 20-30 minute coffee break/lunch whatever. Then I'm good for another 2-3 hours. On the highway, tunes on the phone and earbuds help too, but obviously not in any kind of traffic. The highway around me is usually pretty sparse on traffic, middle of nowhere kind of riding. If your young with a high pain threshold you can extend all of this... :)

·
Registered
673 Posts
I get a 1200-1500mile ride in almost every year. As others have said take it in small runs 1-2 hour shots, as far as time go's.
Many, many years ago my old man always figured a 32 mile an hour average over the coarse of a day's driving. Still works good for me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ive rode several 3000 mile weeks and dozens of 500-600 mile days.

2 hours is a good standard for stops. 70-75mph so you can use your 140-150 mile tank up then stop 5-10 minutes walk a few steps around and make sure to drink plenty of water!

·
Registered
6 Posts
My wife rode 400 miles to Gettysburg from west Cleveland, most of it in rain, darkness, and mountains on US 30. The looks she gave me at red lights!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just completed an 1050 mile ride. My Vulcan was the smallest bike in the group of 8, one yamaha, one vulcan 1700,one indian, one harley 3 victories and my 900LT that handled extreamly well and kept up with no problem.

·
Registered
119 Posts
You will have no problems I have a 97 Vulcan 800 Classic and rode it from one side of the country to the other.
Have also done some nice trips 2 up with my wife.
Best thing I did was add a Mustang seat for trips, upgrading the seat made a big difference.
Only downside for the Vulcan 800 is the 4 gallon gas tank but you have the whipped with the 900.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Unless your butt is made of iron you better have a different seat or seat pad of some type.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Just curious, but you say that you're trading the 900 in. Trading it in for what?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Wow. I didn't even see the original date.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Unless your butt is made of iron you better have a different seat or seat pad of some type.
I second that. Seems like none of the bike manufacturers put a decent seat on. I had a new Honda Shadow 750, and I coud only ride it 20 minutes. My Vulcan was almost that bad. Ride for hours no problem with my new Mustang seat and back rest.
First change I make on a bike now.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I second that. Seems like none of the bike manufacturers put a decent seat on. I had a new Honda Shadow 750, and I coud only ride it 20 minutes. My Vulcan was almost that bad. Ride for hours no problem with my new Mustang seat and back rest.
First change I make on a bike now.
I agree completely. I road my 9 with a Mustang for 9 years. When I bought my Vaquero last year I ordered a Mustang before i brought it home.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts