Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how long is the longest day trip you have ever done in one day on your V2K. Today I rode fron central Long Island, N.Y. to New Port, Rhode Island and back with three stops including some sight seeing which ended up being about 425mi round trip on the clock. I have a Mustang seat but still started to ache after a while. I had a great time but I dont think ill be doing that again anytime soon. Started hitting the brick wall at about 340mi. talk about riders fatigue. Eyes, shoulders and butt all started hurting plus focus started slipping and stiffend up a little but all in all did good. The bike preformed flawlessy, now have almost 19k mi for my 08 which was bought in 2010. I think I could have done much more if I had a longer break in between. My longest break was about 45 minutes. Tell about your experience.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Sometimes it ain't the miles...

Sometimes it's the hours.

I did about a 500 miler one time. Started about 8:00am. The problem was we went up with some friends to pick up a camper trailer for them. We rode up there. Took our time, took the nice scenic roads. They hooked it up and test drove pulling it cause it was bigger than anything they pulled before. Then they negotiated, then put it together and took it down to make sure all was well. They bought it and off we went. Uh-oh, the electrical connector for the trailer isn't the same as what he had on the bike. So we spent another couple of hours locating and then installing a connector for the bike that matched up. We had to borrow a meter from the local Radio Shack to make sure we hooked it up properly because we didn't have a wiring diagram for his VTX on us. Back on the road. Well at about 1:00am, I was done. We were only about an hour from his house and 2 from mine. I was done. The only time I have ever been sleepy on a bike. We got a hotel. and went home in the morning. So on this trip, it wasn't the miles, it was the hours.

Normally, depending on what kind of riding we are doing, a 300 mile day is a good one. 400 is a long one. Keep in mind, I avoid interstates. I stick to winding state roads. If we did interstates, I would imagine that 500 miles or more wouldn't be a bad day.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is a long day, even in a car. I find that interstate riding wears on you too, especially here in the north east where all the interstates are jam packed with 18 wheelers jockying for position and crazy cagers darting in and out of traffic. Plus road construction every other town or county. County secondary roads and non commercial parkways are much better riding to me, much less stressfull. Here the interstates like I-95 which I was on for several hundred miles yesterday and the N.Y. Interstate are just insane. I find the key to long travel is longer breaks which I didnt do yesterday and eat a good, high calorie breakfrest with some real substance to give you energy for the rest of the day. My next trip will be more like 300mi for the day, unless I plan a trip to a certain destination and split the days travel into 250mi in the morning and 250mi in the afternoon with a hotel in sight after. Yesterday I was in a rush to get home so the wife wouldnt bitch, maybe that had something to do with the fatigue.

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Two of my friends (Husband and Wife) did an Iron Butt run a few months back, 1,000 miles in 24 hours. I've never done that and never will but I have made about 550 miles in one day on a trip to Florida from Houston, Texas. Dang near froze to death but we made it. Thank God for hot water in motel rooms.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
728 miles, my home in Northeast Texas to Santa Fe, New Mexico. Left at 4:00 am to avoid the Dallas/Ft. Worth area traffic. It started raining at 5:00 am and rained for about the next 2 to 2 and a half hours. I was on my way to Colorado to do a little fly fishing, so to pack "lite" I took out my rain gear pants, thinking I'd be wearing waders if it started to rain while fishing, so I put my jacket on at 5:00 am and rode in wet jeans until about 1:00pm when I stopped for lunch in Amarillo. Arrived in Santa Fe about 6:00 pm (Mountain time...gained an hour) and was a little raw...not from the mustang seat, but from the wet jeans! It's a memory to go with a great trip, wouldn't trade it. Don't want to do that again...in the rain, I mean, but wouldn't trade it, none the less.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I find that interstate riding wears on you too, especially here in the north east where all the interstates are jam packed with 18 wheelers jockying for position and crazy cagers darting in and out of traffic. Plus road construction every other town or county. .
No doubt that interstate wears on you too.
I just think if I took interstates, that 500+ wouldn't be as bad, because we'd be going faster and the hours wouldn't be as long.

·
Registered
46 Posts

659 miles was my longest day. Started in Ely, NV and ended up in Missoula, MT. Some very beautiful riding through the Sawtooth and Bitterroot ranges.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My longest ride is down to Sturgis. Shortest route is around 460 miles, but for the rally this year a different guy led and it was a hair over 500.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Spain to Berlin (Germany) on my BMW

I rode 1900 km in 23,5 h from the border Spain/France via Andorra to Berlin in Germany. An other trip was from Berlin/ Germany to Lake Garda/ Italy. 1200 km. I don't remember the time. I have had in this time a BMW R800. 20 years ago. With my VN2000 my longest trip in one day was 750 km.

Have Fun

·
Registered
123 Posts
My longest day ride ever was a 1,000 mi. in 24hr. MDA ride for the local Harley dealer. I also had to ride 100 miles round trip to get there, which I also accomplished in the 24 hrs. I was never so glad to get off a bike in my life. By the way, the bike was a stock 1981 Harley Low Rider that had only a windshield and bags added for the trip. That bike had a surprisingly comfortable stock seat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts