Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a vulcan 750 1992, and when I put the key in the gas cap to open it, there is no tension it just moves back and forth. Problem is I cannot open the gas cap to remove and replace. What it the best method for removing a defective gas cap that is already locked ?

Thanks very much ...

Brian Burwell
:)

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
JUST JOKING.....LOL......So assuming the lock is not working as u say....Unless u r not worried about damaging the tank i would not try 2 pry it off.......U could try 2 punch out the lock cylinder and release the mechanism that way......The other option would b 2 drill a hole in the cap........until u get it big enough 2 hook the latch and release it....Of course this would then require u 2 remove the tank and clean thoroughly......B4 U DID THIS I WOULD REMOVE THE TANK AND CLEAN VERY WELL OR FILL WITH WATER B4 DRILLING.....IMHO .......Terry......:)

·
Registered
139 Posts
uhm yeah, a couple of great ideas here but I'd just suggest paying a locksmith the twenty bucks or so to work it open for you. Slipping with a drill bit and wrecking the paint on your tank could cost a few hundred to repaint, save yourself the money and take it to a smith.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions

I will likely get the locksmith out as this is the safest.

Brian

·
Registered
61 Posts
how about trying some wd-40 and soak the crap out of it. Chances are there is a little rust keeping the lock from pulling in. I'd spray it, work it, and spay some more. Couldn't hurt to try.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I would opt for the locksmith. or at least do not try the drill or any spark producing method. Gas tanks especially empty gas tanks have a nasty habit of exploding.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Looks like the OP was another hit-and-run member.

Got his bike running and rode off into the sunset.

·
Registered
63 Posts
When putting in the key. Push down real hard and turn the key slowly. It sounds like the lock is worn out. Without the pressure of the gas cap against the inside of the tank, it just might slide open. Try it and let up know.
Thanks
Ray
[email protected]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts