Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how do people lock or secure there bikes when leaving them parked up when steering lock does not work?

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I never lock mine, nor my trailer, and when away from the bike, leave my helmets sitting next to the bike on the ground. I have also inadvertently left the key sitting in the bike while looking around (for 1 1/2 hrs) tourist attractions. While I usually take the key with me, none of my stuff has been messed with.

When Im on a trip, my bike and trailer are covered for the night.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
My saddlebags lock, although I don't usually lock them. If I'm in a hotel or someplace shady, I might lock up anything valuable in them. Other than that, I'm armed (heavily - with multiple magazines of Federal Hydra Shok), and most of the people around me are armed (also, heavily). If somebody gets caught tampering with any of the bikes, it's going to be a bad day for them. And if somebody steals it, it's insured.

I pretty much never lock the forks anyway.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Two in the body-one in the head guarantees they are really dead
Oh very true.

Oh, and another thing to add: we both have quick-release saddlebags. Edge brackets are worth the money. Often, at a hotel, we'll just pull our saddlebags off, and bring them inside. They come off the bike faster than taking things out of them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've not had any trouble so far. As mentioned in the above posts, I have a backpack that I can remove to take inside with me.

I did equip my bike with the LoJack Early Warning system. The system will send me a voice message to my cell, office, and home phones if the bike is moved without the key fob being within 6 feet of the bike. Works pretty fast too, only time it triggered was when one of my work friends decided to sit on my bike. Tripped the system just lifting it off the kick stand.

This should allow me to tailor my response to the situation; yell out the window or 45 acp :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just lock the steering lock. That's it. If it was broken, it wouldn't change anything. I figure even if I put wheel locks and cables and lojack on it, if someone wants it, they'll take it. Alarm or not.

Lot of guys at work just leave their helmets on the seat, unsecured. Never seen or heard of an issue.

·
Registered
494 Posts
In todays times I try to lock everything up and take the helmets with us to easy to steal and pawn for drugs.

·
Registered
432 Posts
simple hasp lock that fits through the disc brake holes keeps the bike from being rolled more than half a wheel turn

sometimes also use a cheap bicycle cable lock through the wheel and around the frame then also through my helmets and sometimes leather jacket sleeve if I want to leave them with the bike and not worry much while I'm inside eating, shopping etc

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
The most I ever do is lock my helmet & jacket in my saddle bags. That said, I've never done an over night at a hotel. The weekend trips I've taken always included staying at family of one of the riders. I too have managed to leave my key in the ignition more than once at restaurants and the like. Never had a problem.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Lock or not to lock?

I lock what I can, if you have a broken lock buy a wheel lock, they do a good job. A friend of ours went into a restaurant and when he came out helmets and jacket were gone. It will get worse as habits increase.......Lock it or lose it.

·
Registered
847 Posts
The detachable carry in bags are excellent. I to go armed as do my fellow riders, but once asleep it's easy to be ripped off...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Most of the time - unlocked steering. I've also forgot my key in the ignition and all is good. When on long trips I'll set a Xena on the front Rotor and lock the steering. Thing is I saw this guy at a bike ride who locked his steering only not to be able to unlock it! Man he wasn't a happy camper. He was tearing the bike apart trying to unlock it...can't steer very far that way!

·
Registered
941 Posts
Oh, and another thing to add: we both have quick-release saddlebags. Edge brackets are worth the money. Often, at a hotel, we'll just pull our saddlebags off, and bring them inside. They come off the bike faster than taking things out of them.
do you have the OEM bags or aftermarket?

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
When on long trips I'll set a Xena on the front Rotor
I have seen the results of someone almost tearing off his front caliper ... he thought the plastic thingy to the handlebars was dumb.

. I too have managed to leave my key in the ignition more than once
Fortunately for me, Jerome AZ was a very safe place.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts