Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A motorcylist was killed this morning after being struck by a tractor-trailer following a crash.

Story

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
By fleeing after seeing that he had run someone over, I feel he is as guilty of killing him as if he had done it on purpose. I did not notice how he lost control. Was the trucker at fault for this as well by swerving into his lane from lack of sleep or something, or was there a problem with his bike?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
By fleeing after seeing that he had run someone over, I feel he is as guilty of killing him as if he had done it on purpose. I did not notice how he lost control. Was the trucker at fault for this as well by swerving into his lane from lack of sleep or something, or was there a problem with his bike?
Fleeing sure does make it suspicious. If it happened in HIS lane, then he couldn't possibly be at fault. SURELY anyone who drives for a living knows that?

In some states in the U.S., he could be tried for murder under a "combined felonies" rule. Meaning if you commit felonious homicide (i.e., Manslaughter) and do so while committing another felony (i.e., leaving the scene of an MVA), you can be tried with Murder. These laws were originally created to put an end to short sentences for robberies gone wrong, where guys get off on manslaughter; or deaths resulting from drunk drivers, also often reduced to manslaughter. So this guys 'worst case scenario' (a Manslaughter charge, easily beat if it happened like the article said it did- the rider losing control and sliding out in front of the truck) is now worse; with a felony no matter what (leaving the scene), a greater likelihood that he'll be charged in the death; but even the potential ability (if this state is one of those such states) to be tried for murder; for something that may not have even been his fault!

I also know that in some states you can be convicted of Manslaughter for willfully denying life-saving aid to a person you had a reasonable ability to provide for. In this case; that would be willfully refusing to call 911 and get an ambulance.

I'll just never understand why people don't stop. Had a guy hit me on my bike. No injuries, in fact it never went down; but he side swiped it and trashed my saddlebag. Had he stopped; would've been some money out of his pocket (no insurance, of course) for the saddlebag. Instead? He still had to pay for my saddlebag, his place of work was interrupted by police officers with weapons drawn (I'm sure his boss loved that!), enormous fines and tickets; AND, despite this being two years ago, I'm STILL getting letters from the prosecuting attorney notifying me that he is still having court cases and it STILL could go to the grand jury for felony hit and run (could be felony or misdemeanor, sounds like it's up to the courts). So the last two years of this guys life he's had a thought in the back of his head that he could go to PRISON for doing a little bit of damage to a motorcycle. I'm a reasonable guy. I'd have given him an earful, but if he agreed to pay for the damage we could've went on our merry way. Instead, he's out THOUSANDS more and may end up behind bars...

Some of the comments seem to indicate that the truck potentially swerved into the lane causing the Vulcan to lose control. So while the collision occurred in the trucks lane, the truck may still have caused it.

By the way; I hate the word "accident". "Accident" implies there was nothing anyone could have done to change the outcome; it was all chance. I prefer "collision"! Because that's what happened. One or more persons made bad, careless, neglectful or willfully hazardous decisions and it resulted in their vehicles colliding with someone, something, or another vehicle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts