Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my Multibar this weekend so I was checking how to mount it prior to getting it powdercoated.

In case it matters, I have a 2009 Custom SE with floorboards, so the bar will fit.

From the Instructions:

1. Remove the horn and mount it on the right side of the frame, just in front of the fuel tank. You need to take the 6mm bolt out and use the longer 6mm bolt and spacer included in the hardware kit.

I tried what I thought was correct and it doesn't seem to be working.

First point: Remove the horn. Do they mean the horn comes off the mounting arm that holds it to the frame in front of the radiation or are you repositioning the mounting arm and not mucking with anything else?

What do they mean on the right side of the frame? Facing the bike or sitting on the bike? The mounting arm is currently on the right frame if you are facing the bike.

I removed the mounting arm and placed the spacer behind the mounting arm to give it standoff from the mounting point on the frame. When I use the longer bolt provided, the bolt actually hits the frame tube behind the mounting point (Box shaped).

So, in summary, Anybody have pictures / diagrams of what the horn remount is supposed to look like?

Another whinge: The two washers provided to be used to hold the bracket up against the top Radiator mount are very small and just barely spread across the opening of the Multibar mounting flange.

Would it be best to replace the washers with something more robust?

Cheers

Bob
Ottawa, Canada

·
Registered
658 Posts
Bob,

I don't have pics but my brother and I just put a set of Cobra bars on his 09 classic.

You need to remove the horn and the arm together as a unit and (according to the cobra instructions).

The unit gets moved to the right side of the frame just under the tank. There is a bolt there that is holding a sensor.

The bolt gets removed and replaced by a new bolt/spacer that came with the cobra kit.

Be sure to attach the ground wire that is also being held in place with the sensor by the original bolt.

I'll try to take pics this weekend when I see him.

Hope this helps.

truckie453

Picked up my Multibar this weekend so I was checking how to mount it prior to getting it powdercoated.

In case it matters, I have a 2009 Custom SE with floorboards, so the bar will fit.

From the Instructions:

1. Remove the horn and mount it on the right side of the frame, just in front of the fuel tank. You need to take the 6mm bolt out and use the longer 6mm bolt and spacer included in the hardware kit.

I tried what I thought was correct and it doesn't seem to be working.

First point: Remove the horn. Do they mean the horn comes off the mounting arm that holds it to the frame in front of the radiation or are you repositioning the mounting arm and not mucking with anything else?

What do they mean on the right side of the frame? Facing the bike or sitting on the bike? The mounting arm is currently on the right frame if you are facing the bike.

I removed the mounting arm and placed the spacer behind the mounting arm to give it standoff from the mounting point on the frame. When I use the longer bolt provided, the bolt actually hits the frame tube behind the mounting point (Box shaped).

So, in summary, Anybody have pictures / diagrams of what the horn remount is supposed to look like?

Another whinge: The two washers provided to be used to hold the bracket up against the top Radiator mount are very small and just barely spread across the opening of the Multibar mounting flange.

Would it be best to replace the washers with something more robust?

Cheers

Bob
Ottawa, Canada

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Vinny

Thanks for the reply. I look forward to your photos.

In your thread about guards for a custom, I also see that BlueCruiser showed where he (she?) mounted their new horn after installing a set of guards. Very helpful, I think.

Cheers

Bob
Ottawa, Canada

PS. Coincidence. I was just on LI Thurs 13 May to Mon 17 May on my annual combined Paintball / Golf trip.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Hi Vinny

In your thread about guards for a custom, I also see that BlueCruiser showed where he (she?) mounted their new horn after installing a set of guards. Very helpful, I think.

Cheers

Bob
Ottawa, Canada

PS. Coincidence. I was just on LI Thurs 13 May to Mon 17 May on my annual combined Paintball / Golf trip.
Sheesh Bob, take the horn and mount it in a new location, put your crash bars on.
Throw the instructions away.
Your giving us Canadians a bad name!
LMAO.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Bob,

that picture shows exactly where we moved my brother's horn...

Glad to be able to help.

Did you play out at Cousins Paintball? I work around there PM me next time you are around and we'll grab a beer.

Hi Vinny

Cheers

Bob
Ottawa, Canada

·
Registered
658 Posts
Your giving us Canadians a bad name!
LMAO.
You guys (Canadians) are awesome! I used to work with a 5 foot 4 fella from three rivers area. He played hockey every week into his 50's (playing with 20 year olds). The man could drink and he was strong as hell, he'd keep up with me drink for drink (I'm 6' 280). :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Silent Hill:

Sorry, engineer by education so I expect instructions to be clear and I follow them, especially when I'm spending in USD :p

Looks like they have something funny going on with the hardware provided. The bolts in the kit have a 34 mm threaded length. The Kawa bolt is 13 mm in threaded length. So even with a 6 mm spacer and the horn bracket thickness, the bolt is too long to snug the horn bracket in place. The extra length makes it hit against the frame tube behind the square mount welded to the frame.

I've sent an e-mail off to Lindby though I got the Multibar through CruiserCustomizing.com

Vinnie

Yes I was at Cousins. I've been attending their Big Game in May since '92. I missed one in 2001 but other than that, I'm a regular. I'll tuck the invite to meet away.

Cheers

Bob
Ottawa, On

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Silent Hill:

Sorry, engineer by education so I expect instructions to be clear and I follow them, especially when I'm spending in USD :p

Looks like they have something funny going on with the hardware provided. The bolts in the kit have a 34 mm threaded length. The Kawa bolt is 13 mm in threaded length. So even with a 6 mm spacer and the horn bracket thickness, the bolt is too long to snug the horn bracket in place. The extra length makes it hit against the frame tube behind the square mount welded to the frame.

I've sent an e-mail off to Lindby though I got the Multibar through CruiserCustomizing.com

Vinnie

Yes I was at Cousins. I've been attending their Big Game in May since '92. I missed one in 2001 but other than that, I'm a regular. I'll tuck the invite to meet away.

Cheers

Bob
Ottawa, On
Might I suggest putting the bolt in a vise and cutting a couple of mm off?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
You guys (Canadians) are awesome! I used to work with a 5 foot 4 fella from three rivers area. He played hockey every week into his 50's (playing with 20 year olds). The man could drink and he was strong as hell, he'd keep up with me drink for drink (I'm 6' 280). :D
Sounds like a friend of mine, 5-5, and meaner than a pole-cat. No-one, and I mean no-one fu*** with him. Ever. I always keep an eye on the smaller guys, sometimes they have so much pent up rage from feelings of inadequacy...they tend to over compensate....Of course I would never say that to him....I happen to like having BOTH my eyes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts