Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im not an electrical guru so forgive me if this is stupid but my lights dim when im at idle. Little ove 5k on my bike and I've only added a light bar. Just wondering if this is normal.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Sounds like the light bar is drawing too many watts for the stator to keep up with at idle.

·
Living The Dream
1,516 Posts
Mine does the same thing, '08 Classic 900. Not to concerning! Just verify that you are charging enough at idle. Get it all warmed up and running at low idle and set idle so you are putting out 13.2 - 13.4 vdc. This should put it at the correct RPM's as well. Only way to do it without a tach in place. This model year is prone to stator failures from what I have read. Kind of a luck of the draw thing. Some have had issues and some never do. But I am not going to rush out and replace the stator just because it may fail sometime in the future without any indications for certain. So just verify your charge and ride it like you stole it!

·
Registered
357 Posts
My previous bike did this when I bought it. I just turned the idle screw about a 1/8" and it was fine. No tach so I have no idea what it was set at before or after.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yep you are pulling current from the battery (instead of the stator) when the lights dim. As long as you are running it above idle long enough in a normal ride, it's not a real electrical problem. Carbon buildup and oil starvation from a low idle are another issue...
I'd also recommend turning the idle up until the lights do not flicker. Should be 1100 rpm or lower, with 1100 being high. If it is over 1100, you probably have a stator issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think I have stator problem.( no alien noise, as I've heard it called) just wondered. I actually never thought about turning up the idle. It was so simple I missed it

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Again forgive my electrical ignorance. A charging system voltage check is just checking the voyage at the battery while it's running right?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts