Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this morning when I hopped on the bike to head into work I noticed my speedo wasn't illuminated. The fuel, temp high beam lights all worked however. So I figured the bulb finally burnt out. The bike is 13yrs old and things are going to start breaking bulbs are gonna burn out and the like. I was planning on figuring out how to replace it and be done with it, however I noticed when I pulled into the garage at work my tail/brake light wasn't working either. Now I am beginning to wonder if there isn't a short due to water getting into the wiring behind the license plate light plastic cover. Is the speedo and brake light wired together like that or is it just dumb luck I had two bulbs burn out at the same time?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So update:

Decided to go check again and while the key is turned to run I have no speedo illumination or brake, however when turned to Aux or whatever it is after run, my tail light turns on but brake light doesn't flash like normally it would. I'm assuming it's because it's not on the run position. So now I am even more confused. Does anyone have any idea why it would turn on in aux but not run?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I had a similar issue with an old Yamaha, where the lights went out. For me, it was a loose ground connection at the battery. The bike didn't have an aux setting, so it may well not fit your senerio.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Check the tail light fuse. Asian built cars often have dash lights and tail lights on the same fuse because you can't easily see when the tail light is out. Maybe here too. If that's a VN900, you don't have an aux on the ignition. It's a park setting so can leave the tail light on at night if you have to park it road side. That is a separate circuit with its own power lead.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check the tail light fuse. Asian built cars often have dash lights and tail lights on the same fuse because you can't easily see when the tail light is out. Maybe here too. If that's a VN900, you don't have an aux on the ignition. It's a park setting so can leave the tail light on at night if you have to park it road side. That is a separate circuit with its own power lead.
It was the 10a fuse, checked it while I was at work. Thanks for the suggestion. Also, I was only assuming it was aux. I wasn't sure what the position was actually called thank ya.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad to hear it was an easy fix.Hopefully the fuse does not blow again.Usually something causes it.
That what was my thought, but at the same time the bike is 13yrs old with 63k miles so it's seen better days and I am hoping it just wear and tear.

·
Registered
438 Posts
SteveJB, I did not know that aspect of Japanese autos. And it seems to apply to Japanese motorcycles as well. Excellent tip.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts