Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
V2K 2009. What have people found is a good deal. Or works great for a light bar. Want to install a set of spots for the wife. Thanks.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,856 Posts
I ordered one that I thought was a great deal. Turned out it didn't fit my bike and was mostly plastic. I was lucky enough to unload it at a garage sale. I then ordered the Cobra. I cost more but all metal and was a direct bolt on to the bike.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Picked up a couple of Cree U-5 125 watt LED off-road running lights, two 1.5" Bullbar light clamps and a universal 30 watt fog light wiring kit on Ebay for under a hundred bucks and mounted them to the inside of my Fatties, about 18" above the road. Switch and relay mounted to left side cover. Way too bright for around traffic but great for the back roads.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input so far. I found some on ebay only 55.00 cheap. OEM is around 260.00. Wife is not a hard rider but don't want junk either. Safety is a concern for the ball and chain. :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
BUYER BEWARE! The $55.00 ones on Ebay are plastic.

Reactions: budda109

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LED turn signals

Curious, how do you do the conversion to LED? I have the same light bar and am interested to try.
FYI If you put LED's in the rear and front for turn signals you will need a load equalizer. Badlands makes one as does custom dynamic's. If you do spots or headlights it is not needed just turn signals. Peace

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
More solid advice. Thank you.
mc69, gett you one them lite bars from that movie "close encounters" the 3rd kind.. it has some groovey tunes to go with the flashy lites! yor welcome

Attachments

·
Registered
659 Posts
Just know that most lights made for motorcycles are 35 watts. I picked up some 4" round metal chrome automobile lights on eBay and they're. 55 watts. Came with wiring, switch and relay. About $60 if I remember correctly. There's also a place online but the name escapes me right now but they sell small replacement HD headlight assemblies with the blue dot for high beam indicator on top. It would be cool to wire it in so that you could have three high beams if necessary.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Seems the OEM light bar is between 249 to 269. I am going to browse for one and pull the trigger. I really don't care for the plastic. This is for my wife's bike. If it was mine. I would never get a junkie thing like that so. Mo money.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Just know that most lights made for motorcycles are 35 watts. I picked up some 4" round metal chrome automobile lights on eBay and they're. 55 watts. Came with wiring, switch and relay. About $60 if I remember correctly. There's also a place online but the name escapes me right now but they sell small replacement HD headlight assemblies with the blue dot for high beam indicator on top. It would be cool to wire it in so that you could have three high beams if necessary.
u can buy most all that stuff at any autozone or pepboy type store. they got plenty adaptable items for low budget.. u can up size the element from 35 to 55 (2x) but be aware yor putting a load on yor alternator that mite be mor'n it can handle.

run separate power 16g wiring from batt+ thru fuse and relay to new lites. do NOT use yor stock wiring harness accessory connectors for this HIGH AMP LOAD.. you risk melting the harness and will take out many other circuits.. a new harness is muey 'spensive and a lott of work to replace..

Reactions: VulcanDan61

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
u can buy most all that stuff at any autozone or pepboy type store. they got plenty adaptable items for low budget.. u can up size the element from 35 to 55 (2x) but be aware yor putting a load on yor alternator that mite be mor'n it can handle.

run separate power 16g wiring from batt+ thru fuse and relay to new lites. do NOT use yor stock wiring harness accessory connectors for this HIGH AMP LOAD.. you risk melting the harness and will take out many other circuits.. a new harness is muey 'spensive and a lott of work to replace..

So if I understand right. I can grab some parts. Like spots and wiring grab a switch and use the existing light bar I have?

Attachments

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,856 Posts
I thought about modin the stock bar but wanted a cleaner better look. Went with the Cobra. about 265 bucks but looks good.

Attachments

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
So if I understand right. I can grab some parts. Like spots and wiring grab a switch and use the existing light bar I have?
bud,, yes you can. how it will look depends on how good a job you can do.
what I would recommend is NOT putting ANY spot/running lights on or near your turn signals. they will drown out the turn signals and no one can see you signal from the front.

what I DO recommend is that you put these spot/running lights in a different position on the bike or move the turn signals out to the mirror$.. as you can $ee, there is no ez cheap way.

except. if you do like this. 4x4 hevy duty rubber encased offroad lamps 35w each at PepBoys(?) I don't remember $50 or $75bux pair?
another $50 for kyrakin klamps.
Wire, Relay, Fuse, Switch kit was $20?

objective is to put some lite on the ground immediately in front and some side lighting. Also to be SEEN from oncoming traffic as in WTF? is that odd looking it must be BIG give it rite of way. anything that makes them take a moment to think is a good thing. poncho

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
End result.

I am a service tech by trade. So wiring and playing with things like this are fun for me. Of course if it works. My end result is to switch out any bulbs I start with with LED's, including the headlight. Halogen is fine and we don't really drive much at night. But it's doable and looks cool so I will price some things out and see what I can do during the off season. Which is long in Wisconsin. lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts