Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I have a 2009 Vulcan 900 classic and was wondering which is the best lightbar system to purchase for it. I also have a memphis windshield on it and was wondering if there would be any problems with putting a light bar on it without interfearing with the windshield

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just installed the Cobra Lightbar on my 09 Classic. I have the OEM W/Shield and it fit perfectly. Easy install, took me 45 minutes. There is a power source in the headlight bucket...The white with blue tracer wire is hot all the time (battery). I used this as a power source. This means I have control of the lights with the provided switch. You could also hook it to the high beam wire at the headlight connection. This way the spots would illuminate only on high beam and shut off with the key. You could also then control that with the supplied switch or just bypass that switch. Many different power options depending on what you want. Lights look factory, not like a clunky add-on IMO.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I agree with Stompers, i like my Cobra's

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have the OEM light bar for the classic on mine. I had the very bottom corners of my Memphis Fats Black notched out to accommodate the factory light bar. It looks factory, you can't even tell.

The OEM bar will not work with Memphis and neither will the Cobra.

The Cobra bar is very nice. I almost got that one, but the dealer had a sale on the OEM 25% off I couldn't resist so I went OEM.

My two cents

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Jeep Pirate, I did exactly what you did with the Wally world lights and they really came out great, and only cost around $25.00. I used some old National Cycle handlebar windshield clamps left over from my 750 Honda days, to mount to my turn signal bar. Same concept as you used, mounted the same place, just different mounting brackets. The lights sure came in handy a couple week ago on my night rides up to Sturgis.....

·
Registered
441 Posts
Just installed the Cobra Lightbar on my 09 Classic. I have the OEM W/Shield and it fit perfectly. Easy install, took me 45 minutes. There is a power source in the headlight bucket...The white with blue tracer wire is hot all the time (battery). I used this as a power source. This means I have control of the lights with the provided switch. You could also hook it to the high beam wire at the headlight connection. This way the spots would illuminate only on high beam and shut off with the key. You could also then control that with the supplied switch or just bypass that switch. Many different power options depending on what you want. Lights look factory, not like a clunky add-on IMO.
I have the Cobra light bar and I hooked my lights to the LOW BEAM and through the switch so, if I chose, I can turn them off. You do NOT want to hook them to 12 volt hot all times (especially un fused) in case someone came along and flipped the switch and drained the battery in 20 minutes. Also, in most states driving/for lights are supposed to go out with high beams on. So you don't want to run them to the high beam.

With that being said the Cobra is a nice and affordable light bar kit. Fairly easy install too. All of the major brand light bars decent quality, choose what you like the looks of and what you can afford. I watched eBay for quite some time and I snagged mine for $120 however it was open stock.

·
Registered
28 Posts
fused circuit

Hey Cruiser...Thanks for your input. I didn't consider the power source I used being a fused circuit....duhhhhhh ... anyway, I will be adding an in-line fuse this weekend. I have enough coiled wire in the headlight bucket to achieve this.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Hey Cruiser...Thanks for your input. I didn't consider the power source I used being a fused circuit....duhhhhhh ... anyway, I will be adding an in-line fuse this weekend. I have enough coiled wire in the headlight bucket to achieve this.
No problem, keep the rubber side down

·
Registered
450 Posts
If you want to do it on the cheap, go to Wal-mart and get these lights. Then get stainless steel p-clamps to hook them to the cross bar under the headlight.
I'ma do a cheap set up aswell I noticed the turn signals are held in with a single bult so I'ma find some cheap spot lights and make some brackets that will go between the turn signals and the stock light bar.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'ma do a cheap set up aswell I noticed the turn signals are held in with a single bult so I'ma find some cheap spot lights and make some brackets that will go between the turn signals and the stock light bar.
Check out the link below to Gadget's Page. Tallannie who is a regular on here came up with this solution. With one more bend of metal you could put brackets like these on and use the turn signal bolt to hold them in place. That way there is no drilling on the stock parts. Just a thought. There are lots of ideas for lights and other mods on Gadget's Page. If you haven't been there, check it out.

Tallannie Lightbar

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
p clamps for vulcan 900 classic

If you want to do it on the cheap, go to Wal-mart and get these lights. Then get stainless steel p-clamps to hook them to the cross bar under the headlight.
Thanks for the tip Jeep pirate . I hae a problem getting p clamps small enough to fit my 900 classic. Could you tell me where to buy 1/2 p clamps, the ones I have are for electrical. MY email is [email protected]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts