Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to add a light bar to my 07 Custom. This is more to make sure I'm seen than it is to increase seeing. I actually rarely ride after dark. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Cobra model or the Kawasaki Custom model. I know the appearance of either is a matter of personal choice. However, I'd like to hear those who have any experience with either or both, are there any advantages or disadvantages of either one over the other. I know the OME bar will set me back a few more bucks. Is installation any different? Are the bulbs more reliable or better on either model? Any general information or impressions welcomed. I have done a search on light bars, but reading through hundreds of threads trying to get this specific info. is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. :eek:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the Cobra light bar, also. I actually like the look better than the OEM bar. I put it on the bike in April and had to replace a bulb this week. From what I understand, you can put a sealed beam into the Cobra light housings instead of the "bulb on a wire", but I haven't done that...yet.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have the Cobra - be careful if you go with the Cobra (probably the OEM too). The mounting is radically different between the Custom, and the LT, and they are NOT interchangeable. The Cobra is a very good build, and looks great.
The OEM will require more assembly too. OEM accessories come as individual components - my rear floorboards were literally a box full of parts that had to be put together. I will say the OEM has great instructions, and are wonderfully packaged.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I also went the Cobra route. The lights and bar itself are nice. Apparently, the bulbs are not such high quality. Put it on in April and had to replace both bulbs within the first 3 months. Easy enough to replace, though. This place sells replacement bulbs for under $3 each.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The way some are burning out right away makes me wonder if they are handled improperly before install.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's hard for me to tell from the pics I've seen, do you remount your turn signals to the Cobra model light bar? If so, does removing or relocating the hardware have any negatives on the looks where the hardware was mounted? I can't tell if the signals are not relocated and you're just adding the light bar, or if you're actually relocating and remounting the signals to the light bar. What's actually done here?

·
Registered
198 Posts
It's hard for me to tell from the pics I've seen, do you remount your turn signals to the Cobra model light bar? If so, does removing or relocating the hardware have any negatives on the looks where the hardware was mounted? I can't tell if the signals are not relocated and you're just adding the light bar, or if you're actually relocating and remounting the signals to the light bar. What's actually done here?
The turn signals are moved to the end of the light bar. The light bar itself blocks the view of the hole where the signal light mounts from the factory.

SF

·
Registered
117 Posts
The way some are burning out right away makes me wonder if they are handled improperly before install.
Not going to disagree with that one but I got a Cobra for my wifes Classic. I installed with the greatest of care. After wiring it temporarely I turned it on and lo and behold the left bulb didn't light. Check wiring, everything good. Took bulb out and checked to see if power was in the side. It was. Switched that bulb to the right side and same thing. Brand new and it didn't work. Could be the quality of cobras bulbs. They did send me another one free, but in the mean tie I put 2 35 watt bulbs in from NAPA because they were the only ones that had at least 35's all the other places had 50's. Way too big. altho one of these day I am putting the 25's back in. My wife follows me and wow do they light the way. I look in the mirror and that is all I see LOL. She say they are great. Yea well let me ride your bike and you get in front and then tell me that LOLOL. Hey maybe I just need to adjust them down. yea like changing the bulbs back. never LOL

·
Registered
47 Posts
When I installed my Cobra lightbar, it had it's own turn signals included. My original turn signals are packed away in case I need to reuse them.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I've got the Cobra light bar on my 08 Custom. The light bar fit fine but not with my windshield. I ended up altering the mounts for the windshield to get everything to fit together. The stock bulbs didn't last very long for me either. Went to my local bike shop, got some and those have been on since. I'd say the bulbs from Cobra were crap. The biggest issue I've had, was that the place the directional bulb socket mounted to, snapped off just riding down the road. The only way to fix was to buy another directional stem from Cobra. I fixed mine by using silicone caulking to hold it in place. That has worked great.

·
Registered
358 Posts
You re-use the factory turn signals and mount them to the ends of the Cobra light bar. It's probably the easiest part of installation - the hardest part is unpacking the light bar from the damned blister pack!

Here's a front view...

·
Registered
47 Posts
You re-use the factory turn signals and mount them to the ends of the Cobra light bar. It's probably the easiest part of installation - the hardest part is unpacking the light bar from the damned blister pack!
Maybe there's a different Cobra light bar for the 900 Classic, but for the 900 Custom which the OP has, the turn lights come with the lightbar.

Here's a shot of one of my OEM turn light which, as you can see, is not on my light bar. :) And a shot of my Cobra light bar with it's own turn lights.

Edit: Here's a link to the install instructions for the 900 custom. It will show on the first page that 2 turn lights are included.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
I went with the COBRA also, and after approx. 1 yr had one of the bulbs go out. Replaced the 25w bulbs with 55w bulbs, HOLY CRAP they are bright!!!! :) and since I do a lot of night riding they make a world of difference. Also replaced the H4 headlight bulb with the NAPA H4 (85w/100w)
and as the song goes "I can see clearly now" :D

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
JTRider, That's interesting. I am looking at an EBAY ad for a 900 Custom Cobra Light Bar and they clearly state in the ad that you use the stock turn signals. I think the seller is Midwest National Cycles. It really doesn't matter, but It just raises my curiosity as to whether their bar comes with turn signals already mounted or not. :confused: I'll have to contact them. Thanks for the info.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts