Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Depends on what lightbar. I've seen some with 35w lights; others with 55w lights.
Mine is not OEM, but it adds 2 55w lights , so output is very good. I'm thinking of re-wiring the switch though. Currently they turn off when high-beams are on; I'd like to be able to run the lightbar with both low and high beams as I live in hilly country w/lots of deer.
But I would think even with 2 35w.....you're increasing your light output by roughly 125% over single headlight..

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have to chime in and say I use one from cobra because I consider it necessary. For not only visual reasons, I consider it to be more safety as well. Anytime I give someone more opportunity to see me that is a plus. At night, I don't think I could go at any pace safely or realistically without them on.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My husband just put my light bar in yesterday. I've not driven it yet at night but the LED's far outshine the headlight. Be forewarned though, it's not just "plug and play". You actually have to put the lights together yourself ;)

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I had 55w lights on my 900 and they were very bright. A co-worker said they were uncomfortable to look at.
I know a lot of people think those high intensity bulbs are better; but I don't want people to squint when looking in my direction.
My Rocket III has 35w aux lamps and I like them better. I'm not sure what rating the Voyager has.

In my experience; all ($0.02) worth of it.
The aux lamps don't really extend the light so much as improve the quality or fill of the light.
You will be able to see the road surface better and any little eyes shining in the ditch.

But, whatever you decide to get...get something.

If you don't have running lights on your bike; you need to look at this thread.
Seriously.

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139610

·
Registered
68 Posts
My husband just put my light bar in yesterday. I've not driven it yet at night but the LED's far outshine the headlight. Be forewarned though, it's not just "plug and play". You actually have to put the lights together yourself ;)
Have you had a chance to drive with those light at night by now? Would you say it's a good purchase?

I would certainly love to see a picture of those lights at night :)

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,856 Posts
I put the Cobra light bar on and wired it up to the high beams. I run those all the time. The look is great and you get more visibility and your more visible. A little advise, pay the extra money for a good one. The cheap ones are plastic.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
You have 358watts max to play with and you need to charge the Battery to.

Electrical
Ignition: TCBI with digital advance
Charging Output: 358 watts max.
Battery: 12V 8.6AH

http://www.motorcyclesport.net/forum/topic/20846-2015-kawasaki-vulcan-s—road-test-review/

2 @ 55watt each that's 110watts for just driving lights, you will Tax your electrical system with that kind of current draw for starters.

you may not be topping off the charge on the battery using that kind of current.

Electrical/Charging System:
358 watts max.
- Halogen driving lights 110w = 258w - Headlight 60w = 198W - tail lights horn blinkers 50W = 148 Watts left to Keep the battery charged.

Lets say 150 watts left.

And we haven't even mentioned using the Highest power Draw yet, the starter to start the engine, well there is always push starting the bike, on a hill hopefully.

I hope you ran those driving lights through a separate relay and direct to the battery, running direct to the battery, and a relay is always best as you are not putting such a BIG electrical LOAD on Small gauge wiring.

You would be better off to go with LED driving lights.

I am not saying the bike cannot handle it I am saying you want the electrical to last a long time, start managing the power draw now from the start and you will a head in the end.

If later on you want a Louder Horn, subtract the wattage there as its a math game that you are playing and with some thought you can have it all.

Remember High Draw items added to your bike you must use a relay or Circuit Breaker direct to battery and corresponding wire gauge, this will draw less current through the bike existing wiring and circuits possibly over loading them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought the factory Kawasaki LED light bar accessory for my Vulcan S. I honestly think the MSRP of $500 is ridiculous, so I was somehow able to talk my dealer down to $260 (that is including the relay kit). I picked up the parts today and am doing the install myself. I Slapped the relay in very quickly - however it looks like the light bar will be a bit more labor intensive, and I only had about 30 minutes of play time today.

I agree with everyone else, it is good idea since it increases visibility going both ways - makes you more visible to motorists and gives you better visibility of the road.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I bought the factory Kawasaki LED light bar accessory for my Vulcan S. I honestly think the MSRP of $500 is ridiculous, so I was somehow able to talk my dealer down to $260 (that is including the relay kit). I picked up the parts today and am doing the install myself. I Slapped the relay in very quickly - however it looks like the light bar will be a bit more labor intensive, and I only had about 30 minutes of play time today.

I agree with everyone else, it is good idea since it increases visibility going both ways - makes you more visible to motorists and gives you better visibility of the road.
wow, nice discount.
I got mine at $450; got it installed for $40, which ended up not being a bad deal as they took much longer to install it than they expected... doesn't seem to be a plug & play install.

Have had limited opportunity to use it at night yet, but those lights are definitely bright; adds a ton of light at short distance, and also slightly increase the distance reached by the existing light.
I leave them ON all the time, they make the bike much more visible during the day.

·
Registered
23 Posts
No - the $500 price is the MSRP right off of the website and in the accessory guide at the dealers ( http://www.kawasaki.com/Accessories/Item/EN650AFF/999940511 ). No install, no relay.

I just put the light bar in today. I really like it! Here is a pic

I believed the light bar also came with on/off switch, how it was connected to the internal power connector etc, appreciate some photos upload, and the photo of the light bar in action.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I believed the light bar also came with on/off switch, how it was connected to the internal power connector etc, appreciate some photos upload, and the photo of the light bar in action.
it does come with an on/off switch; I leave mine on all the time though

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just added a few photos of the process to the 'Mods' Thread. I think the switch is awful ugly (like they recycled it out of a 1982 acura) - I may look into replacing that later on down the road. I didn't get any pictures if the power connection - you are 'SUPPOSED' to take the gas tank off to access it, however I kept the gas tank connected and balanced it with one hand while making the connections with my other, so I didn't have a free hand to snap pics of that part of the install.

Here is that switch:

Here is the bar in action with the headlight:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just added a few photos of the process to the 'Mods' Thread. I think the switch is awful ugly (like they recycled it out of a 1982 acura) - I may look into replacing that later on down the road. I didn't get any pictures if the power connection - you are 'SUPPOSED' to take the gas tank off to access it, however I kept the gas tank connected and balanced it with one hand while making the connections with my other, so I didn't have a free hand to snap pics of that part of the install.

Very nice. In view of the overpriced, I also look at other aftermarket daytime running light like followings
Kuryakyn 2319 Large Halogen Silver Bullets 5/16"-18 Mounting Bolt, about 2-5/16", slightly smaller than the stock led light

Kuryakyn 4041 P-Clamp for 41mm fork

and Kuryakyn 2202 Universal driving light wiring relay kits

The silver bullet having 20 watts halogen bulb, probably can be replaced by 4-5 watts MR16 LED bulb 2700-3200K (6000k might be too bright) cool daylight or warm white.
Total Cost roughly $260 or less

·
Registered
27 Posts
Anyone here bought the light bar? Is the light output substantial?
So I finally got a chance to see these work at night. HOLY COW! the output is amazing! It also seems the 'field of vision' is much wider left to right, so I feel much more comfortable riding at night. :)

·
Registered
714 Posts
After some investigating the light bar part numbers, it looks like they're supplied by PIAA.
Is it marked on the lens of the OEM lights?

From what I can gather their total power output is only 6w.

After going through the owners manual the max additional power load on the Vulcan S is only 25w before it starts sucking more power than the alternator can re-charge battery.

I think westgl has a valid point about overloading the system with high powered lights.
I wanted to go with a pair of Clearwater Darla's but at 50w combined on high it will be too much unless I swap out the headlight for a 25w LED option.

I thought about putting in a better battery with a high amperage but I'm not sure it will still work out drawing more current with the same alternator.

Does anyone have any tips for the quest for more power?:devil2:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I purchased LED lights from eBay for $20 and mounted them to the turn signals with a handlebar switch. $25 total

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 26 Posts