Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I took delivery on a light bar from national cycle (Part# N945)and installed it last night. I used the wires from the stock turn signals to power the new turn signals and the spot lights. Well I was pretty proud of myself until I started reading the forum here and found a bunch of different ideas about accessories and electrical issues they cause. Since the instructions were basically to direct wire into the bikes system that is what I did.
My questions are these.
1. Since the LT comes with a light bar (i have a Classic) I'm wondering why or if the system will handle this light bar wired direct? I don't want to short a stator or overload the system and battery.
2. For this kind of lighting does there need to be a switch or resistor installed even though the manufacturer doesn't mention it in the instructions?
3. does this light bar need to be wired directly from the battery?

Any help would be appreciated.

Terry

·
Premium Member
1,193 Posts
This is how I wired mine. First I ran a #12 wire to the battery positive terminal with a 10amp inline fuse. The other end connected to the power side of the relay. The switch side of the relay I connected to the low beam wire of the headlight. When normal driving on low beam the spot lights are on, switch to high beam and the spots go off. That's it. (Don't forget to ground the relay and the spot wires.)

·
Registered
198 Posts
I also have the National Cycle lightbar on my V2K and I wired it up exactly as shown in the second diagram below. With this setup the driving lights only come on after the starter motor is bumped and the engine is running so there is less of a drain on the battery. The lights are on all the time regardless of whether the high beams are on or not and I can switch them on and off as desired with a handlebar mounted switch.

There were couple of things about the National Cycle lightbar wiring I didn't like that I changed. First off it didn't come with a relay so I added one to protect my bike's wiring and I highly recommend you add one also. Second is that the driving lights use the lightbar itself as a ground which means the ground circuit has to run up through the lower triple tree bearings to get back to the frame and ultimately to the battery ground connection. This doesn't make for a solid ground connection so I ran an extra ground wire from the lightbar itself to one of the solid black/white stripe ground wires in the headlight bucket.

There's a lot more good info on driving light wiring on this web page:

http://rattlebars.com/mtz/foglites.html

·
Registered
311 Posts
I wired my 1500 classic the same way as V2KCruiser that by far is the best way :D You can have the spots on whether the head light is on high or low, Or you can turn them off all together if you like, Plus they only come on when the engine is started along with the head light.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
V2KCruiser, Can you steer me to Part numbers and where you bought the relay and switch from? Thanks, this is great info.

·
Registered
198 Posts
V2KCruiser, Can you steer me to Part numbers and where you bought the relay and switch from? Thanks, this is great info.
Relay: http://www.aerostich.com/12v-40a-sealed-relay.html

You could also probably find this relay at an auto parts store, but you'll probably pay more - you can't beat the $4 price!

Switch: http://store.valueaccessories.net/handlebarswitchforlightbars1bars.aspx

This switch works fine and is simple to hook up, but since there's no indicator light it was difficult for me to tell if the lights were switched on or not during the daytime. So I later upgraded to this switch which has an LED indicator to let me know when the lights are on. It works great, but it's a little more difficult to install.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I installed a Kawasaki Lightbar on my bike. That was the easy part. All I read about installing it said it needed a relay or it would overload my light circuit. I found a relay wiring diagram a lot like the one above and wired in a relay. I Also wanted a seperate switch for it. One that would let me know when it was on with an indicator light. I found the one I wanted on http://www.cruisercustomizing.com. It has two buttons and since I only needed one I can use the other one if I add some Led lights to highlight my bike.

·
Registered
344 Posts
FWIW, I posted a lightbar wiring circuit in the general section the other day. Uses a relay similar to V2KC. The main difference is that I added another toggle so that the aux lights are on when on low beam only - or on when on high beam only. If the VA inspectors get picky I can set for on on low beam to make them happy. Then can switch back to on - on high beam - when I want to see and be seen!

Woody

1 - 9 of 9 Posts