Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Newbie here... sorry if this has already been covered but I couldn't find this info when I searched)

I'm about to install a Kawa light bar in my 2011 Nomad. I'd like to mostly run it all the time (lo-beam and hi-beam), but have the option of turning it off. I'd also like the power to cut out while I engage the starter. (This will be wired with a relay and a handlebar switch.)

My question is, which wire in the headlight bucket (if any) is both ignition-switched and cuts out while the starter is engaged? I was thinking that the turn-sig's running light wire might work ... Not sure what color wire it is. Any body know?

BTW - I'm a novice doing electrical work so please let me know what you think of this approach to wiring. Any thoughts and advice will be most welcome!
Thanks,
-Jack

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
If you have the Kawasaki oem bar there is an on off switch on the bar behind the left blinker on the bar which can be reached while sitting on the bike so an extra on off switch is unnecessary. In the headlight bucket the yellow wire with the double female bullet connector is switched. If you want to run the driving lights all the time it is the one to use. You will need to get a male single bullet connector for the hot wire on the light bar.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TS, Thanks for that info - very helpful. Yes I have the OEM light bar (it just arrived today, as a matter of fact).

Do you happen to know whether that yellow wire will momentarily cut power when the starter is activated? Someone told me that was an important feature for a light bar that's left on all the time ... I guess so the starter gets all the juice it needs. Is that really necessary, ya think?

-Jack

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
The auxiliary power supply (yellow wire) is fused and switched but does not dim the lights on start up. I have had mine wired as described above for almost a year with no problems at all. Many others are running the same setup without any problems that I have heard. Don't know what you would need the relay for unless you are planning on loading the circuit down with several other accessories.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm... let's see: Tie into the yellow wire with a male bullet connector, no handlebar switch, no relay......I think you just simplified my life!

Thanks again!
-Jack

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
When I did mine the hardest part of the job was getting the light bar out of the factory shrink wrap without scratching up the chrome on it.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
When I did mine the hardest part of the job was getting the light bar out of the factory shrink wrap without scratching up the chrome on it.
I just bought a Cobra light bar for my 800 and had the same packaging experience! Great for the factory and for display, however, a real issue to get off without scratching something...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi i to have just installed the Kawasaki light bar what i did with the indicator wires was to run them inside the bar its not a easy job but looks better then cable tie them to the out side
i to wired mine to the auxiliary wires inside the head light with no problems

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi i to have just installed the Kawasaki light bar what i did with the indicator wires was to run them inside the bar its not a easy job but looks better then cable tie them to the out side
Good job! How did you do it? I considered hiding the wires inside too, but it looked too tricky drilling extra holes, or did you just enlarge the one that's already at the bottom of the bar?
-Jack

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The auxiliary power supply (yellow wire) is fused and switched but does not dim the lights on start up. I have had mine wired as described above for almost a year with no problems at all. Many others are running the same setup without any problems that I have heard. Don't know what you would need the relay for unless you are planning on loading the circuit down with several other accessories.
Yesterday, I wired mine like you did and it works fine so far. I've been turning the spots off when I start the bike so the starter gets full juice. Have you been doing that too, or am I just being paranoid?

-Jack

·
Registered
24 Posts
Good job! How did you do it? I considered hiding the wires inside too, but it looked too tricky drilling extra holes, or did you just enlarge the one that's already at the bottom of the bar?
-Jack
no need to make the holes any bigger just take your time,did take me over an hour to do, and i even manage to get the little rubber bung back in.
it will all fit

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You, sir, are amazing! I took one look at that light bar and said, "No WAY! am I gonna get all those wires hidden inside."
And you also got the grommet back in place!

I am humbled.

-Jack

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
This is a picture I wired my Nomad by before I got my VV. It allows the light bar to stay off until starter is engaged , same as the headlight. I never had a problem and my son still has the Nomad.

light bar relay wiring.jpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got the shrink wrap off (ugg!) and installed the Light Bar with power coming from the yellow accessory wire. Works fine, just like you guys said it would.

But....I like the idea of hiding the wires inside the bar (why it didn't come this way in the first place is beyond me). So, I'll probably go back later and try that.

Also, I've been told that on a 1600 there is a Blue/Yellow wire in the bucket that feeds the headlight dimmer switch. If the 1700 has that wire too, it could be what I'm looking for: switched power that dims when you start the bike (to protect the starter), plus power for both hi and low beam. I'll look for this wire just as soon as I can and report back.

-Jack

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is a picture I wired my Nomad by before I got my VV. It allows the light bar to stay off until starter is engaged , same as the headlight. I never had a problem and my son still has the Nomad.

View attachment 58377
Daddy - Great photo! I couldn't open it at first, but now that I have...wow. That clearly lays it all out. I see the Blue/Yellow wire that I'm looking for.

But I'm wondering, is that a 1600 Nomad or a 1700?

Thanks
-Jack

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update: I did it! I went back and re-routed all of the turnsig/indicator wires inside the light bar as you suggested.

Yes it's doable, but what a pain! Why Kawasaki didn't make it that way in the first place is beyond me. Just a cheap shortcut in manufacturing, I guess.

Anyway the light bar looks great now - no unsightly zip-ties holding those wires in place.

-Jack

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

View attachment 58377
Daddy, I checked out my 1700 Nomad headlight bucket and found the BLUE/YELLOW dimmer switch wire same as a 1600! I tapped into that for my light bar power and now they run on hi and lo beam, and they stay OFF until the starter gets the engine running. Just what I wanted.

Also, I found that the stock Kawa light bar comes with 25W H3 bulbs. I doubt that this is enough extra load to burn out the dimmer switch. However, I'm thinking that I might use higher wattage bulbs later, so I may go back and run a RELAY, plus run a separate handlebar switch.

-Jack

1 - 20 of 24 Posts