Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys. So my Classic has what I assume to be an aftermarket light bar. Whilst riding this afternoon, I noticed my reflection in the car in front of me when I pulled up to a red light, that my light bar lights were not lit... just my headlight.

I plan to look into it tomorrow, hopefully.

My question at this point is this, is there any way of forcing the headlight to light with the ignition switch for the sole purpose of diagnostics so that I don't have to sit there with the bike idling for long periods of time while I test this wire for power and then that one, yadda, yadda, yadda. :smile2:

The reason I ask this is because the one wire going to the lights (to the switch on the back of the bar first) comes out of the back of the headlight and is obviously tied into the headlight's wiring. It's certainly possible that I may find the issue as soon as I pull the headlight... or, more than likely, not. And I really don't see the point in either idling the bike for long periods of time to chase down a wiring gremlin, or repeatedly starting and stopping the engine either.

I figure Kawasaki must realize that the light not coming on until the engine is running will cause an issue for mechanics when it comes time for this type of diagnostics. So either they've built in an intentional bypass, made it easy for mechs to build their own work around, or they didn't care and said "eh, deal with it... make sure your garage ventilation is on!"

I tried googling it but it turned up nothing.

So does anyone know if there's a way to easily and temporarily turn the headlight on with only the switch? Or will I have to burn my precious petro and breathe in its glorious fumes to bolster my diagnostic abilities? :wink2:

Quick clarifications: Yes they worked before. Yes the switch was on. Yes I later stopped and got off (with the bike still running) to double check that they were NOT on... and even flipped the switch a couple a times for good measure. Yes I own a multi-meter. Yes I know how to use it.

I think that's it :smile2:

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Do your driving lights have a separate switch or are they hard wired in? When I did mine, I installed a relay with its own switch that mounts to the handlebar so I can turn them on and off when I want.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They have a switch on the back of its mounting bar but the power to it comes out the back of theadlight so it powers the switch from the headlight... bike needs to be running.

·
Registered
96 Posts
When needing to test the lights or work on them I have always bumped the switch to get the lights on but not enough to start the bike. Never had a problem, been riding and working on bikes for 40 + years. 1600 classic, Roadstar and 1700 Nomad all the same. If you are not comfortable with that just let the bike idle.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When needing to test the lights or work on them I have always bumped the switch to get the lights on but not enough to start the bike. Never had a problem, been riding and working on bikes for 40 + years. 1600 classic, Roadstar and 1700 Nomad all the same. If you are not comfortable with that just let the bike idle.
Just wanted to say I wasn't doubting you or poo-pooing your method. I just sorta pictured holding test probes and trying to bump the starter button with my nose or something! I realize that's not necessary as the probes have roach clips... errrr.... alligator clips to free up my three hands :grin2:

Don't think I'm not grateful for your input, because I am. I asked a question and you gave me a valid answer. I realize my initial response was rather negative. But in my defense, I hadn't had my coffee yet at that point!!!! 0:)

·
Registered
96 Posts
No problem, I understand the coffee thing! but once you bump the switch the lights should remain on until you switch the motorcycle off.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ahhh. I see. That makes it a lot better! I thought it would go back out again. But if it stays on, that's perfect! Thanks man.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I just went out to "test" the bumping of the starter button to get the headlight to stay on and sure enough, it stays on. Just for giggles I flipped the switch for the light bar and they came on as well!! So last night when I was doing a rough trace of wires I'd jiggled the connectors on the back of the switch (which are all exposed) and I'd been pulling on the wire coming out of the headlight housing. I must've reconnected a corroded connection, more than likely at the switch. Then I remembered I did hit a rather sizable bump yesterday that jolted me pretty good.

Once it's a little warmer, I'll address the exposed wiring, ie. clean them up and try to seal them or at least cover them up somehow... as well as double check any connections up inside the headlight housing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts