Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi peeps
Need some feedback , I’ve bought a lift for my 2007 vn900 it works fine it’s just big and cumbersome,
When I had a Ajs 350 ( a lot lighter ) I had 2 one went under front fork the other under rear swing arm .
But even with this lighter bike ( Ajs 350 ) the rear one collapsed. Just wondering what you guys ( & girls)
we’re using. Thanks ride safe

·
Registered
347 Posts
I started out looking at this concept (U-Build jacks) like this:

After checking that out for 30-seconds...I went to my machinist/welder/fabricator buddy and had him build me a metal version of this concept with 1.5" square tubing and a nice covered roller on top for the bike frame - and a removable 4' matching handle.

Lots of folks go with a hydraulic lift - and use hockey pucks (or other spacers) to level things up on the frame.

The trick is to pick the centre balance point - or if you are working on the rear wheel, pick a balance point slightly to the rear of the centre balance...you get the idea.

Then, ratchet-strap the bike to the jack over the frame (once you remove the seat). Safety first!

·
Registered
191 Posts

I have something similar to this. I couldn't see doing a 2x6 setup like in the previous video, I wanted something under the frame rails and not the engine and not a lever or fulcrum system. These jacks are stable as hell. I was actually sitting on mine while it was on the jack while I was adjusting the new fairing alignment. It help if you have an electric or air impact to drive the screw rather than the hand tool they provide. Otherwise, they are inexpensive and work good.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've got the harbor freight 1000lb table lift and a roll around ATVs and motorcycle jack . I have to use an adapter on my 1500
To get the bike to sit level on the rollaround jack. I haven't checked ,does the 900 engine stick below the frame rails like the 1500 or not? It's in my buddies garage right now for the Feb monsoons. I would like to have one of the screw type jacks for the lift table. Where do you get those?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quick question- are jacks like the Extreme Max in the photo made to support a bike for long periods of time (winter storage), or just for temporary use such as maintenance like oil changes. Looking to maybe get one for the winter and want to make sure it won’t fail over time.

Thanks

·
Registered
410 Posts

I have something similar to this. I couldn't see doing a 2x6 setup like in the previous video, I wanted something under the frame rails and not the engine and not a lever or fulcrum system. These jacks are stable as hell. I was actually sitting on mine while it was on the jack while I was adjusting the new fairing alignment. It help if you have an electric or air impact to drive the screw rather than the hand tool they provide. Otherwise, they are inexpensive and work good.
I have one identical in design and it works great for routine maintenance and cleaning. A ratchet wrench works good, too. I trashed the "stand-offs" (the black thingys on the lifting surface), and substituted two pieces of 1x4 about 4" long with a piece of rubber mat (app. 1/8" thick) glued to one side. You need something like this because the engine protrudes downward beyond flush with the frame. You'll also likely need a piece of 2x4 to slip under the kickstand to get the low side up high enough to slide in the lift. If you play with it some, find the center of gravity and mark it (I used and electrical tie around the chasis), it will make subsequent uses quick and easy. Makes cleaning rims/spokes a breeze.

On the other hand I don't think I would consider using it for wheel removal. Just me.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have one identical in design and it works great for routine maintenance and cleaning. A ratchet wrench works good, too. I trashed the "stand-offs" (the black thingys on the lifting surface), and substituted two pieces of 1x4 about 4" long with a piece of rubber mat (app. 1/8" thick) glued to one side. You need something like this because the engine protrudes downward beyond flush with the frame. You'll also likely need a piece of 2x4 to slip under the kickstand to get the low side up high enough to slide in the lift. If you play with it some, find the center of gravity and mark it (I used and electrical tie around the chasis), it will make subsequent uses quick and easy. Makes cleaning rims/spokes a breeze.

On the other hand I don't think I would consider using it for wheel removal. Just me.
I have used it for removing wheels without issue, you just have to slide it forward or back depending on which wheel you are removing. I actually left the saddles on, once adjusted for the frame rail width, it's pretty convenient for my needs and you don't have to worry about the bike sliding off the jack. I use a speed wrench with a long extension for raising and lowering. Sometimes when I am feeling lazy I will grab the air impact.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the same one as in the picture posted by gosupes . The official Kawasaki service manual suggests a similar one as a purchasable tool with it's own item number (at a ripoff price I'm sure).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts