Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sad to say the Vaquero has been sitting for about 6 weeks, between selling a house, moving all that stuff, work and then a 2 week vacation in New England. My poor bike was neglected :mad:
Well today I decided to take her to the pharmacy to pickup some things and she is making an awful noise like a stuck lifter on the rear cyclinder :eek:
I rode about 2 miles back and forth and no luck clearing the noise, anyone ever encounter this on a 1700 that has been sitting for a while?
I was thinking about a nice long ride tomorrow and if no joy, a stop at the stealer for some advice.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'd recommend giving it some more time. Before i bought my vaquero, i test rode one at the dealer that had been sitting for several weeks. Made the same noise you described. The dealer let it warm up for about 20 minutes but the noise was still there. My demo ride lasted about 40 minutes and it was only after about 10-15 miles that it quieted down.

I wouldn't worry too much.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I was in the service area of my Kawi dealer when they started up a black 2011 Vaquero just out of the crate... It sounded like you are describing, a rather loud tapping, the wrench told me they let them sit and idle 15 to 20 minutes to get nice warm and they clear themselves. That Vaquero quieted down after about 20 minutes of idling and sounded great...

·
Registered
60 Posts
engine noise

Thats normal for that engine. The hydraulic lifters will need to pump up before she quites down. Once the engine is up to normal operating temperature, do some hard riding, throttle her up several times. Once the lifters pump back up, it will be quite again. Some of these engines will do that overnight.

·
Registered
636 Posts
lifters

Mine makes that noise all the time. Didnt start till about 3000 miles. Bought the bike in april and have road the bike everyday since then the bike has sit maybe 12 to 14 hours at a time and the noise wont go away. Took it to one dealer they say its normal. I say why didnt it make that noise the first 3000 miles? Need a second opinion I reckon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Lifters

Mine will make noise in the spring after sitting for the winter or if I haven't started it in over a week. Goes away after around 10 miles

·
Registered
34 Posts
noisy nomad

picked up a '12 nomad tuesday. when the dealer 'delivered' it to me and showed everything to me, he said listen when i start it up and you'll hear it rattling. said it should go away after 20-25 miles. i drove it 10 miles home, parked it in the garage and had to leave for work for 2 weeks. i'll pay attention to that when i get back to it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Don't worry about it Philip, just get it to operating temperature, and ride it like ya stole it...lol. It will quiet down after about 15 minutes. The 1700's will do that if they sit unstarted for an extended period of time.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
The only time my 2011 ever had lifter noise was after the wind blew it over and after righting it after it was down for less than a minute, one of the front lifters sounded like it was coming right out of the engine. After a few miles it was still loud. And loud is a great understatement.... dogs were howling, women hustling their kids off the street, that kind of loud...

I drove it home very tenderly (abut 3 miles) and it never let up. I let it sit over night and the next morning it was only slightly quieter.

So I got out on the highway and cranked it up as fast as it would go for about 10 miles out and back and by the time I got back into town the noise was gone and have not heard it since. I guess it just took all that to prime the lifter again....

Regardless of what any dealer may say (or anyone else)... noisy tapping lifters are NOT "normal".

·
Registered
481 Posts
I had a Victory CC pull up next to me at a stop light last week in Cody that made my transient ticking sound whisper quiet. I could not believe all the ticking sounds coming from that motor! I could also hear what I think was cam chain noise. My 2011 Voyager with 31,000 miles on it does tick from time to time even in the middle of a long hot hard ride but it's still quieter than that Victory and most every Harley that I ride with, I guess I'm just going to ignore it because it runs as good now as it ever did, ticking or not. :)

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Turns out she was really mad at me for letting her sit alone in the garage with no comapny but that Harley :mad:
So after I cleaned her up, got rid of the dust and took her out on an 80 mile run out, running like I stole her, when stopped after 42 miles, she was puring like always.

·
Registered
46 Posts
mine does it too

Sad to say the Vaquero has been sitting for about 6 weeks, between selling a house, moving all that stuff, work and then a 2 week vacation in New England. My poor bike was neglected :mad:
Well today I decided to take her to the pharmacy to pickup some things and she is making an awful noise like a stuck lifter on the rear cyclinder :eek:
I rode about 2 miles back and forth and no luck clearing the noise, anyone ever encounter this on a 1700 that has been sitting for a while?
I was thinking about a nice long ride tomorrow and if no joy, a stop at the stealer for some advice.
After sitting for about a week I get the tap after 10-15 miles it goes away
I am a retired mechanic Cars truck and boats I can relate the problem to lifter bleed down that happens when the oil under pressure in the
lifter is leaked out after sitting, another problem could be a stuck valve
unlikely when cold but possible.
I did add about 4 oz of Marvel mystery oil to the fuel it seems to work didn't have the tap last time I rode it

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
After sitting for about a week I get the tap after 10-15 miles it goes away
I am a retired mechanic Cars truck and boats I can relate the problem to lifter bleed down that happens when the oil under pressure in the
lifter is leaked out after sitting, another problem could be a stuck valve
unlikely when cold but possible.
I did add about 4 oz of Marvel mystery oil to the fuel it seems to work didn't have the tap last time I rode it

Did you add that Marvel Mistery Oil to a full tank of fuel?

·
Registered
574 Posts
I've heard of MMO solving leaky (sticking) valve seals, but from looking at the parts blowup I can't see how adding it to the fuel could get at the hydraulic lash lifters. However I have seen sticking lifters become freed up just by changing the oil.

I would think an overhead cam engine would not need much lash clearance since there is no length for expansion to speak of, but in any case hope it stays away for you.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Full tank

Did you add that Marvel Mistery Oil to a full tank of fuel?
Sorry for the delay, but I added about 4-5 oz to a full tank
since nobody is really sure about what is causing the tap, It leads me to belive it may be a sticking valve maybe a tight valve guide. I havent ridden since then, but I started it up and didn't hear any taps

·
Registered
192 Posts
I ran Honda GN4 10W40 conventional oil in my VV up to 2,000 miles. Never any lifter noise. At 2,000 miles I changed over to Amsoil 10W40, immediately got lifter noise that would go away gradually after about 10 miles or so. At 5,000 miles I changed over to Mobil1 20W50 and no lifter noise but now the bike is now running hotter.

Frank

1 - 16 of 16 Posts