Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knew of a kit that was capable of relocating the stock taillights and the license plate to the rear fender. The bulky, black, plastic thing on my 2009 Vn 900 Custom is starting to annoy me lol, it just looks ugly. I know that ShowChrom makes a nice piece for the Vn 2000, that uses the stock taillights, and eliminates that huge plastic piece. Wondering if anyone knew of anything similar for the Vn900

·
Registered
445 Posts
I saw one where someone went to home depot and bought a plate and small trailer light and made thier own that looked real good as side mount.

·
Registered
74 Posts
While I didn't completely remove the stock bracket, I've moved the tag up and it looks a bit cleaner and not as bulky.

Basically, I removed the tag light and installed the tag bracket in the 2 holes; then I installed an LED Tag Frame and wired it to the old light. For kicks, I installed the reflector where the old tag bracket (had to drill for that), but I could have just dremel'd some of the bracket out to clean things up. At least now the tag does not hang 2" from the ground!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey Breizh-- sweet pics... prior to reading your reply, I decided to remove the reflector, widen the 2 holes behind it, and move the stock license plate bracket up an inch or two. The difference is really amazing. The bike looks a lot cleaner and not as cheap because more of the plastic is covered. I thought i was done, but after seeing your pictures, I'm gonna have to mess around with the back end again as soon as I get a free moment, and move the bracket up even higher lol... Thanks for the advice, and I love the way it looks

·
Registered
52 Posts
While I didn't completely remove the stock bracket, I've moved the tag up and it looks a bit cleaner and not as bulky.

Basically, I removed the tag light and installed the tag bracket in the 2 holes; then I installed an LED Tag Frame and wired it to the old light. For kicks, I installed the reflector where the old tag bracket (had to drill for that), but I could have just dremel'd some of the bracket out to clean things up. At least now the tag does not hang 2" from the ground!
So where did you find the LED tag frame? Looks great and I'm sure it cost alot less than the side mount relocation kits I've been looking at.

·
Registered
74 Posts
So where did you find the LED tag frame? Looks great and I'm sure it cost alot less than the side mount relocation kits I've been looking at.
I got this one from radiantz, $29.99 + $9.00 Shipping. They have it in "chrome" and black. I opted for black to have it blend in. A couple of things about this frame:
- You'll have to notch the license place and the license plate bracket: the LED wiring is right on the inside edge of the frame and could get cut when you tighten the screws down.
- They come with some odd allen screws and I didn't have a wrench that fit! Something between a 2.5 and a 3....
- You'll have to put a couple of washers between the original plastic bracket and the license plate bracket to allow for the wiring to go through the large hole in the middle, without getting pinched.

This was not my first choice as far as layout. What I really wanted was a plain frame and stick a small (LED) light under the fender, right at the edge, to shine down on the license plate. I think it would look even sharper. But I went the quick and dirty way.

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Guys here's a question to throw out there. I have been looking at getting some hard bags for my '09 Custom. See thread http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10326

The biggest problem with the Corbin's Beetle Bags (the ones I like the best) is that the turn signals and the license plate are located about an inch and a half closer to the tail light horizontally, as opposed to the Classic or the LT.

I think that if I relocated my turn signals and could move the license plate back I could put these on. I know the fender is a lot shorter, but I think the signals and plate would hide the gap. I think that the fender is identical up to the point where the plate and turn signals are mounted from the bottom of the fender.

Where would you put the plate and the signals with a Beetle Bag?

Just working on some ideas...

Targett

·
Registered
74 Posts
... I know the fender is a lot shorter, but I think the signals and plate would hide the gap. ...
I don't think hiding the gap is a good solution: the gap is still there and road debris will make its way in there. Although those bags are not quite my taste for a custom, I'd be looking at doing somehting like this:

You should be able to find clear lenses for a set of duplicate tail light assemblies, and put some yellow LED bulbs. As far as the tag, an LED tag frame and a bracket that you bolt onto the fender should work. Then you can tackle the gap. If the gap is not too big, you maybe able to work a sheet of heavy thermoplastic into shape.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I cut the stock plastic and mounted a Kuryakyn side mount license plate bracket to the plastic along with the clear alternatives LED taillight with integrated turn signals.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm interested in the integrated taillight. How difficult was it to install?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts