Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to change to a vertical side mount plate. What are you guys running? What brand, how does it mount and how much way it. Is there and reason not to get one that mounts on the axle nut? I read somewhere that those ones are bad but the person did give an explanation

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'd like to get some feedback on this as well. It's my next project as well. Not sure what style of mount I'll go with. I'm interested to hear what others have as well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I went with this one on amazon, mostly because of price but I liked the look of it as well.

I also had to order an 18mm axle nut, which I found on Meancycles.com for around $30. The two fit perfectly. Just make sure you tighten the nut nice and tight so the plate doesn't rotate. That's the only drawback I saw at first was that the plate rotated a bit after the first ride. I went back and tightened it a bit more and it hasn't moved since. I love it and think it looks great with the bike.

However, what rick50 said is true. Check local laws as more and more states are outlawing vertical mounted license plates. I live in Utah and it is actually illegal here. I'm taking my chances. My bro-in-law is an officer and he didn't know it was illegal nor did he think most cops would even know, let alone pull someone over for it. That being said, it is still illegal and you run a risk.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I went with Kuryakyn. No probs so far with the police here in Cali....at least not for the plate. Lol. Here is a pic

·
Registered
183 Posts
SickNic can you post a side view of your plate mount? I like the look of that.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Here are a few. All angles should help

·
Megatron
181 Posts
Nice ride Nik.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Check:
Meancycles
Cruisercustomizing
Jp cycles
K&G
Grcustoms
Lickscycle
Chromeglow
Road6

Find which one you like and see if you can find it on eBay
Or elsewhere.
I had the kyury and after a while the chrome chips off.

Sent by Lordz of Fire!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found a couple at www.road6customs.com check out the site tell me what you think. I think for 30 buck I'll give it a shot I may have to get the 18 mm axle nut that bob was talking about

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
[/IMG]

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is the one I'm looking at

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just measure your Axle and ask the guy at road6customs to drill a smaller hole for you. All of his license plate brackets are handmade. he may say itll take an extra week, but i doubt hell charge any more. I have one on another bike, the things are pretty beefy, yet simple.

·
Registered
223 Posts
One more thing if you get a frame for it with a light you will have to drill a hole to run the wires through.
I got my frame at chromeglow.com

Sent by Lordz of Fire!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nick did you have to get the 18mm nut and what kind of bike is it?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Does anybody know the size of our axle Off the top of there head? I won't be able to mess with my bike for a couple of days. I talked to road6customs they said as long as I give them the right size axle I shouldn't have to get a larger axle nut. Thanks again everybody

·
Registered
17 Posts
That was for my '82 Seca, and I would have needed the bigger nut if I mounted it to the axle, but I mounted it elsewhere instead.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just ordered it in 3/4" I'll post pics once I have it on

1 - 20 of 46 Posts