Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Hill Country Run Motorcycle Rally will be in Luckenbach Friday May 04 until Sunday May 06, 2018. I plan on riding there with some HOG members. Never been there but I guess I need to go, also looking for suggestions of other things to do in the area.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,858 Posts
Luckenbach is about an hour away! Count me in.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am thinking about riding the three twisted sisters also while I am in the neighborhood. Does anyone have any pointers or opinions?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I am thinking about riding the three twisted sisters also while I am in the neighborhood. Does anyone have any pointers or opinions?
Sorry for the late reply, but since the rally isn't until May I assume you haven't gone yet. As I'm sure you're aware, 335,336 and 337 make up the 3 sisters. With the exception of the 336 to 337 intersection, you'll need to temporarily ride on connecting roads. Again, you may already be aware of this, but I point it out because when I first did the 3 sis's I didn't, which caused some confusion. 337 is the longest of the 3, and goes all the way from Medina, through Leakey, to Camp Wood. Depending on where you begin the 3 sis's it could be difficult to ride all 3 completely unless you do some repeating. 337 east of Leakey is often neglected but has some of the best riding and scenery so don't miss it. You can begin in Medina and go west to get to Leakey, then do the rest of the 3 sis's until you return to Leakey to do the complete route. My preferred route is below.

I've ridden the 3 sis's many times and IMO found it's best to start from Leakey or Medina heading west and do a clockwise route. There are some scenic pull-outs that are difficult to get to if you go counter-clockwise. Also, by going clockwise you'll be riding (mostly) on the outside where you can see the views better. May should be an awesome time to go. The flowers should be spectacular, things should be green and the river should be flowing.

My preferred route is to spend the previous night in Uvalde, head up hwy 83 to Leaky and turn left (west). There's a great place for lunch that you'll pass on the left as you leave Leakey called The Bent Rim Grill. Great views out the back and pretty good grub!! Lots of memorabilia and t-shirts if you're so inclined. At Camp Wood go north briefly on hwy 55 then turn right on 335. Continue till you hit a T at hwy 41 and turn right. This is a fairly long stretch until you get to 336. Turn right on 336 back to Leakey. This is when I would go to the Bent Rim for lunch. After lunch head east on 337 all the way to Medina which will end ALL OF the 3 sisters. There is a 15 mph warning sign on one of the left-hand curves on 336. DO IT! That one sneaks up on you really, really quick!

Other than Medina, the only gas you'll find is in Leakey or Camp Wood, so gas up! You should easily do the whole route on one full tank, depending on what you ride.

Keep your eyes open for scenic overlooks. There's a great one on 337 on the right that will come up on a sharp left curve (paved) about 1/2 way between Leakey and Camp Wood, and another on 336 on the right (dirt/gravel), easy to spot.

Ride on a weekday if possible. It's crazy busy on weekends but you won't see many other vehicles on weekdays.

The roads are in great shape. (Or were that last time I went a couple of years ago.)

Located on hwy 187 off 337 east of Leakey is the Lone Star Motorcycle Museum. If you have time, don't miss it. The owners are great and they've packed all types, sizes and years of motorcycles inside that you can walk right up to. Well worth the admission price!

Unless you spend a night near the route, you'll be putting in a long day (do-able), but you have to be on the ball for most of the route and you'll feel it. They're called hills but you'll swear you'll be among mountains. Spending the previous night somewhere close makes it a more enjoyable (and shorter) day.

Lastly, have fun and enjoy. Don't miss these great roads while you're in the area. There's nothing else like it in Texas!

John
:wink2:

Reactions: eosterhout

·
Registered
42 Posts
You can gas up and/or camp in Vanderpool at the Lost Maples Country Store.

The store is at the 187/337 intersection as you head to Leakey.
This is 4 miles south of the Lone Star Motorcycle Museum
which is open March thru November Friday, Saturday, Sunday 10am - 4pm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts