Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the proud owner of an 08 Candy Lime Green Custom, and i got to thinking, perhaps i would add some green led,s but not too much just a suttle glow.
If those who have led,s installed on their 900 custom could post pics and describe the mounting location, so i could get some ideas, i would certainly appreciate it , thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
I am the proud owner of an 08 Candy Lime Green Custom, and i got to thinking, perhaps i would add some green led,s but not too much just a suttle glow.
If those who have led,s installed on their 900 custom could post pics and describe the mounting location, so i could get some ideas, i would certainly appreciate it , thanks in advance.
I have a blue 09, and I would also like to add some subtle blue LEDs.
Of course, I am a mechanical idiot, so I would need some step-by-step help.
:(

Rod

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
We put these on the Wife's Honda:

It has several color options and a remote control. Not intensely bright except at night, LED, easy to install, the tubes flex so they can be mounted anywhere. Good price too. I'd recommend those in a heart beat! (Well, I just did didn't I?)

Here's a pic on her bike:

It's set to red, but it has a ton of color options. (Dunno about a million colors, try about 20, but still) including a wicked lime green. It also does 'white' by turning on all the different colored LED's which looks cool. ON hers, there is no LED strip on the front cylinder, which is why it looks dark. NO place to mount it on that bike due to the air cleaner and coolant hoses. But that's a 750 Honda, not a Vulcan!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Leds on vulcan

Ive got an 08 vn900 i have mounted some green led strips on the bar that runs under the radiator also mounted under the lip of the tank on both sides and in front of the back wheel, great for at night and in the fog. australian law states that they cant be seen from the front or back so ive tried to make that happen ?? hopefully the 2 pics show up althrough they are not great quality.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hmmm, I'd be a little worried about an inattentive driver coming off a side street and seeing a "green light", other than that it looks great.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Hmmm, I'd be a little worried about an inattentive driver coming off a side street and seeing a "green light", other than that it looks great.
Well I don't think you'd really be wanting those on when your riding. I suppose some do but as I understand it, it's illegal in all 50 states. I've heard conflicting reports on that but, most seem to indicate 'no' on that. Whether or not an LEO is going to care enough to cite you is one thing but... we keep them off on the wifes bike unless she's stopped or something, it's really just decoration.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'd definitely feel a lot safer with a "red" light if I was gonna ride with the lights on. I realize you'd have to be pretty stupid to mistake green LED show lights for a traffic signal, I also realize there are some REALLY stupid drivers out there, haha.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
lights

I'd definitely feel a lot safer with a "red" light if I was gonna ride with the lights on. I realize you'd have to be pretty stupid to mistake green LED show lights for a traffic signal, I also realize there are some REALLY stupid drivers out there, haha.
In Illinois, Green is a color reserved for use by the FD. You can be ticketed for it. Blue is reserved for PD. Again, you can be ticketed for it. Red is exclusively for bonified emergency vehicles. White visible from the front (obvious) and rear, but only when the vehicle is backing up (reverse).

The other night, I stopped (while on duty & in the squad) at a Doggie Diner and, while there, was approached by a HD rider who had Amber LED lights all over the damn thing. Must have been near a hundred of them. On the engine, frame, wheels, just all over. I pulled out my vehicle book, 2012 ed., and could find no limitations on the use of amber (front or side running lamps), except for revolving lamps/beacons/flashers and they (amber lights) cannot be displayed from the rear (red running and brake visible from the rear only). Amber rear turn signals are approved, but not running lamps.

I see a few bikes now and again running around with their lights on. Being a rider, I notice them and won't stop them if that is their only issue. If I stop them for another reason, then I will MENTION not running them except at when parked.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Been adding Flex Leds to mine, a couple strip at a time. Getting the from Advance Auto. I have them on the frame under the motor, in front of and behind the motor, on the inside bottom of the gas tank, and on the lower side of the rear fender supports. Run the all the time. Have the wired into my tail lights, with a switch so I can turn them off. The ones on the tank, I hooked up so can be unpluged for tank removal. Have never had an issue with the police over them here in Ga., but I'm sure if I got stopped, it would be mentioned.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Don't have any pics, but I bought some cheap LEDs from WallyWorld, wired them to the license plate wiring so they are on all the time. I have them tucked up under the lip of the tank so it gives a glow down the V-Twin when on.
I got an orange light. Matches up nicely with the 2012 Custom SE that I have.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was wondering what the WallyWorld lights would be like?
linuxsurfer, i like that look,subtle,not too bright at all.
Thanks for all the response, i definatley dont wanna break any laws and as far as replicating a street light, i will not be hanging the bike from a thirty foot pole or have them blinking,lol.

·
BOTM Winner, October/2012
291 Posts
I bought some off ebay from a guy named joe florida, also bought a remote controller from him

·
Registered
70 Posts
idont have any pics but I put some purple leds just under the tank and down tubes by the rad the set had a remote and 3m tape easy install if you can string xmas lights you can put leds on your ride!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts