Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Should read LEANING over.

I've just watched a video on uTube about the Victory Police bike. They go on at great length about the safety feature that the bike doesn't fall right over if you dump it on its side riding the cone course in 1st gear. (They really bash HD too, all the way through the vid which is mildly amusing)

Out of interest, has anyone dropped the Vaquero under similar circumstances?
Does it just rest on the front and rear engine bars, or is it not that simple.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I went to a Victory demo event and the bike transporter did 12 foot circles with the Vision and then just stopped and got off while it was sitting on the slider.
The slider is a built in replaceable piece that slides along the ground while doing tight circles. Like a motorcycle racer has on the knees of his race suit.

Then he walked over to the bike and lifted it up and got on and rode away. It was pretty amazing.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Can't speak for a Vaquero but I can tell you when the wind blows your Voyager over it is over a thousand bucks damage if you replace everything. I only replaced up to 600. I have seen a lot of Police Road Kings flop over standing still and did zero damage at all. That's standing still. Forgetting to flip kickstand out or forget to put foot down at stop. I have even seen guys clip the edge of the fairing on things, like cars and buildings, gates, stair wells and did no damage as long as they stayed upright.

Falling over while moving is another matter. I found the HD's to be very forgiving when falling over standing still, but not as bad as you would think while moving......

Normally they all just go down to the engine/side bars and that's it. Hardly any damage only to the side bars. However my Voyager went over til the windshield hit the ground.

That slider is the same thing as the side guards on other motorcycles. It is a body protrusion instead of a bar.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have had my Voyager go over while parked on a slight downhill slope, not in gear and got "bumped". Saw it happen and nothing I could do about it. thought there would be damage but the front and rear crash bars kept all the bike protected. Slight scratches on the crash bars but not an issue for me.

Also wasn't that hard to pick up other than making sure I didn't lift to hard and have it go over on the other side.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Backing my 2011 Voyager into a parking spot out in Colorado my left foot got into some oil and the bike went over on the left side. My wife and I got off, I put my butt up against the seat, grabbed the left grip and the back grab rail and bingo, she was back up. No damage, not even a scratch on the engine guards.

·
Registered
894 Posts
My Voyager has been down 2x on cone courses, 2x in the garage, and 1x on road when I put foot down at stop and nothing but slippery loose gravel so foot went out on me . . . Only damage has been a split windshield on one of the garage tip overs as windshield hit another object in the garage on its journey down. Otherwise it was fairly easy to upright and the crash bars did what they are designed to do.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this demonstrates my original reason for posting.

If you find the Victory technical vids of the bald guy comparing two cut away engines of a Harley and a Victory it almost sounds as if he is describing a Kawasaki engine, although Victory are oil cooled.

I am very impressed with this bike. I know from experience how hard Police motorcycles are treated, and if they are marketing this specifically at the Police market, and there are genuinely no differences between civilian market and Police market bikes, apart from the emergency equipment, I would seriously think of trading my Harley for one in the spring. There is a dealer about 45 minutes ride from me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I locked up my front wheel on my 09 Nomad on the painted left turn arrow on a wet morning on the way into work 6 weeks ago. The bike went into I wobble and I wasn't able to recover. We fell down on the right side and my baby slid 20 feet or so, (I only slid about 10). Short story long, the guards more than did their job. No damage to the bike whatsoever. My rainsuit is another story and I learned that I can pick that bike up by myself, (although I was so pissed off I could have probably thrown that thing on my shoulder and carried it the rest of the way in).

Anybody know where I can get cheap replacement guards?

Ryan

·
Registered
894 Posts
Guards for what?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
As the resident Vic owner who has ALSO dumped his bike TWICE, I'll chime in!

The Cross bikes, if fitted with crash and bag bars, will damage nothing if they go over at low speed. Both times I dropped my bike, I didn't have the bag bars yet. My front crash bar did its job, and I only suffered some asphalt rash on the very bottom edge of the saddlebag, which is completely out of sight unless you're under the motorcycle.

Visions are equipped with tipover bumpers which do an even better job.

I should note my bag bars are not the police style with the second, higher bar around the outside of the bag, but I have a pretty high confidence level in the all the same.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As the resident Vic owner who has ALSO dumped his bike TWICE, I'll chime in!

The Cross bikes, if fitted with crash and bag bars, will damage nothing if they go over at low speed. Both times I dropped my bike, I didn't have the bag bars yet. My front crash bar did its job, and I only suffered some asphalt rash on the very bottom edge of the saddlebag, which is completely out of sight unless you're under the motorcycle.

Visions are equipped with tipover bumpers which do an even better job.

I should note my bag bars are not the police style with the second, higher bar around the outside of the bag, but I have a pretty high confidence level in the all the same.
How do you rate the Victory, build quality, service costs, handling etc?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Twice

I found myself putting bike on it's side twice. Once, like bubba, parked on a slight incline and once after a hard rain (I was too wet, too slippery, and too tired) when I though the stand was down. Both times the engine guard and side guard held the bike and no damage occurred. Albeit, both times the way down was not as in being dropped.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sorry

Thought it was Bubba. Sorry Hillhouse.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts