Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
My wife is interested in this, too. Unfortunately Alaska offers some challenges to getting a kit up here, and there are no authorized Lehman dealers/installers up here. Would have to ship the bike down to the lower 48 to get it done, then ride it back up. I'd sure hate that! LOL :D

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the wife has had TWO shoulder surgeries and one knee surgery, she's barely able to ride. I was wondering if a trike would be any easier to steer vs the bike.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have ridden a few trikes and some have been hard to handle for me. I think it requires getting use to. Seems you have to force the turn. Not sure it would be good for a bad shoulder. Take her out for some test rides sometime. I would do this before spending the big bucks.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
vulcan trike

that's the issue, there are no trike dealers around here, really don't have access to a vulcan trike, hoping to find someone who's had the opportunity to have driven one.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have the Lehman Storm. It's built on the Vulcan 900. They come from Lehman with a built in front rake. They are super easy to steer,but I don't have shoulder problems so it would be hard to tell someone else they won't have any isues. The Trike is a blast to ride and we love it. I'm 66 with bad knees and this Trike has been better than Soft Bubble gum in the winter. These are bought through Kawi Dealers. Lehman won't sell the kit to private individuals. If she decides to try one out,be sure it has the Easy Steer option or it will probably be way too much work for her!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have no clue what the dealer would charge for the conversion. With the Storm, Kawi dealers sent the bike to Lehman and they did the conversion. That is the only kit that I am aware of for the Vulcan 900.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
If you look at Lehman's site, they list the trike kit price separately. Obviously, you can buy just the trike kit w/o having to buy a new bike, yes?
It would seem so. I think Lehman introduced the Storm as a complete unit when it first came out. I didn't read anything on their site that suggested they won't sell the kit to individuals, however, I have a friend in Idaho who does Champion trike conversions and he says the trike manufacturers will normally only sell the kits to convert an existing bike to approved dealers and those who are authorized by the manufacturer to do the conversions. I suspect this has more to do with liability concerns than anything else, as licensed dealers are trained by the manufacturer on how to properly assemble and install the conversion kits. They don't want someone doing a conversion, doing it improperly, then suing the manufacturer when something goes wrong. Besides, only an authorized dealer can perform warranty work.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I checked with the Lehman dealer here and was told it would cost approximately $12,000. for them to do the Storm conversion to my 900 Classic. That's way more than I paid for the bike new.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Trikes handle like sidecar rigs.
Not very well.
Here is a trike conversion where the bike is not altered.
http://www.mtcvoyager.com/
http://www.mtcvoyager.com/home/voyager-video.html
Still sucks because you can't lean but it's cheaper than the lehman.
And DON'T PUT YOU FEET DOWN at a stop & forget because the rear tire will run over you.
Here is a MUCH better way to have your wife ride.
With this setup she can ride normally.
They don't list her bike yet.
http://www.landingear.com/faq.php

When I start having physical problems this is the setup I will get.
Here are other ideas.Unfortunately her bike is not considered a heavy bike and they don't make these products for it BUT I'll bet she would dig riding one of the bikes that they do make it for.

JJ

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Landing Gear was in New Orleans prior to Katrina, saw it then. Instead of buying another bike, it's this one or it's the end of her short-lived riding career. Maybe longer bars with more pullback, laid horizontally, would give her some relief.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Maybe a smaller,standard type bike ?
The WeeStrom vStrom gets a lot of love.
You need a 30+" inseam.

JJ

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
she can reach the ground okay, it's just her shoulder and knee pain is an issue. Dr. refuses to do a shoulder replacement, trying to find something to lessen the pull on her shoulders............might try bringing the bars even further back.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Do a search under .. guess what i saw today ... i posted this a couple of years ago ... im using my phone so i cant give you the link

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts