Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But I cant ask on that forum, because they dont ride the 2000.

My wife rides with me. She loved my wing for comfort. But, I like big twins. The Voyager fits the bill as far as creature comforts. Now....my VN has the power, a good amount, but nothing of folklore, and I can say that because I OWN one. Question: How does the smaller Vulcan motor handle the Xtra weight of all the stuff??. I an afraid I am too used to what power I have....even tho' it's not MEGA as reported

Do they go good?

This is not a troll thing. This is an honest question, because my wife wants one, and she likes to ride with me...I like her to ride with me, and she works to buy stuff too.

While a 1700 is far far far from small...it is smaller. It is hard to go lower once you have had what I have.....I guess it's testosterone or something.

They dont make what I want to put on a Classic LT. I like a frame mounted fairing not a batwing. So modifying mine is not practical.

Will I be disappointed if I go that route. Whats the real difference.

Thanks

·
Registered
240 Posts
My wife and I ride with a close friend and his wife. I ride an '06, V2K LT and he rides an'09 Nomad 1700. Between my wife and I, our combined weight is around 350 lbs. My friend and his wife weigh about the same. We've ridden together for close to a year now, and I'm very impressed how well the two bikes handle the weight and perform very close (he still cant' match the torque :D). I know the Nomad and Voyager aren't exactly the same, but they are close. If I had to replace my V2K, I would definitely consider the 1700.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Bike and car models that are new usually go through some changes during the first two or three years of production. You might want to wait a couple of production seasons to see how they change or add to the bike after they get some feedback. If power is a complaint, they likely will address it in some manner.

If you are concerned with power but want a touring bike, get a Goldwing. They are really in a class by themselves. I test drove one and it rides as close to my sport bike in handling as any big bike I have ever ridden. Not exaggerating. And plenty of power.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
more power to ya

VN has the power, a good amount, but nothing of folklore, and I can say that because I OWN one. Question: How does the smaller Vulcan motor handle the Xtra weight of all the stuff??. I an afraid I am too used to what power I have....even tho' it's not MEGA as reported
Do they go good? Will I be disappointed if I go that route. Whats the real difference. Thanks
rkrkr, you said it. yor v2k is all about TORK because it is a big bore/long stroke motor. it makes 90% of its power at 2k rpm. the sweet spot is 2.5k. but it is only a 5 speed... you need EuroGears to fix this. Also put you a pipe, airbox and FI manager and you wont be bad mouthing the powerband.

the 1700 is a square motor. it is an overhead cam. it is built to spin and you will miss the bottom end tork that you are addicted to. It still will make power but you have to spin the motor to get it.. which is opposite to why you went the Vtwin route in the first place. If you want to rev up a motor get yer a 4 or 6cyl. theys better for that kinda work.

the 1700 is a factory finished touring package. very nice, well done. It is not a poor performer, just different. If you like to buy your bikes already finished, then this could work.

If you prefer or dont mind doing your own thing, knowing that it wont be as factory finish but rather have your own personal touches, take that v2k of yors and put a plan together to fit it out the way you'd like. Keep in mind that yor starting with a softail cruiser and it will never be a world class tourer because the geometry is different.

You can acquire a frame mount fairing and fit to that v2k. If you want to, it can be done. you just have to want to bad enuff to make it fit. The rest of the package is pretty easy. always willing to help.;) out, ponch

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
That is my plan for my V2K. Everything I want is sold by Corbin. Their bags fit the closest and look completely integrated on this bike, they even paint them the same OEM colors as on my LE. Their batwing fairing fits my headlight nacele and it takes a stereo such as what is offered by Hawgwired. I can also put a real nice trunk on it, from Corbin, painted OEM colors. Cruise control can be done too, but install is not simple. The total cost is less than a touring bike, but not by that much. What I do get is my Vulcan 2000 engine.

But, like Poncho says, you really need to buy a dedicated touring bike to get it 100% right. I am really just trying to "have my cake and eat it too". Next go around I probably get the Voyager, a GL1800 or an Electra Glide. HD has a very nice cruise control on their bikes, I must say. Not sure about the GL1800 but I expect it is first class, as the Voyager's probably is too.

Plus all of them come with at least the option for a two person intercom with auto music cut out. You can put a nice one on a V2K from J&M, they have the best sound out there of the aftermarket units.

Voyager is made for the tourer person. Most of them are not looking to win a roll on acceleration contest while gliding down the interstate.

·
Registered
419 Posts
From my post in the 1700 forum:
In 2007 bought a "left-over" 2006 Vulcan 2000 Classic Lt. Then 3 months later met my future wife who said "I love the motorcycle but the seat is a little hard". 8000 miles latter it was "If you really want to keep the "bike", OK but I don't like riding on it much, let's look at the touring bikes". Yesterday I became the proud owner of a 2010 black/red Vulcan Voyager 1700. After riding it for a few hrs. I figured I'd post my comparison between the two. I've been riding since i was 14 and I'm 59 now. I'm 5'8", 250#, 29" inseam. I worked as a mechanic in motorcycle shops for 13 yrs, the last 9 as a Kawasaki mechanic. (Without stating the obvious comparisons of luggage, frame-mount fairing, etc.) Pros: 1) The Voyager seat is more comfortable with more support in the rear upright. 2) The seating is more straight up and down compared to the 2000 and your foot rests are closer in. Their still in front just not as far as the 2000. 3) The Voyager is more narrower allowing my legs to be closer together. 4) For me the handle bar position/angle is a great improvement over the 2000. In steering lock turning the 2000 bars would be slightly beyond the end of my reach. 5) Much improved wind protection eliminating that "up draft" wind that came from under the fuel tank on the 2000. 6) Smoother shifting, less "clunk". Cons: 1) The 2000 just has gobs and gobs of pulling power from idle to ?? Not to say that the 1700 is lacking in power it's just that I loved the raw power the 2000 produced. 2) The idle is a little higher RPM and the muscle sweet spot is at a somewhat higher RPM. 3) I liked the 2000's exhaust note better. (probably because when you could hear it, it was making tons of pulling power). My conclusion/opinion is that the 2000 depicts what a true cruiser is about and is in a class by itself. And the Voyager is a true "Ultra" killer. I love them both and as I've sold my 2000 to my brother, I'm going to miss it. I suspect a couple of nice rides on the Voyager will keep me from wanting it back though.

I've put a few hrs in the saddle since then and I tell people now that the Voyager is the bike I was looking for when I bought the 2000. Make no doubt about it I loved and miss the "HUGE" torque I had on my 2000, but everything else about the Voyager is so much better for me. And yea the Voyager has plenty of torque to get`r`done two up. Still makes more than a stock Hardley Ultra and you see plenty of "plus-sized" couples ridding them everywhere and even dragging trailers with out complaint.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
which came first, the chicken or the egg?

In 2007 bought a "left-over" 2006 Vulcan 2000 Classic Lt. Then 3 months later met my future wife.
Con'rs, see there buddy 'twas that purchase of the beast that led to the taming of the shrew.. that'd be you. This action of yors set off a chain of events that eventually led to yor demise.. er, I mean new adventure. So it goes that the beast was an intrical part in the playing out of yor destiny.. or so it would seem. hope this helps. out, ponch

·
Registered
419 Posts
Con'rs, see there buddy 'twas that purchase of the beast that led to the taming of the shrew.. that'd be you. This action of yors set of a chain of events that eventually led to yor demise.. er, I mean new venture. So it goes that the beast was an intrical part in the playing out of yor destiny.. or so it would seem. hope this helps. out, ponch
Whew...That really rocks the few brain cells I got left.:eek: I bought the 2k cause I figured I'd go the rest of the way through life alone. I didn't get a drifter cause I wanted to be able to bring a friend along once and a while. Then because of this I met a woman wanting to go ridding on my nice bike. Next thing I falls for her like a sailor to a siren song. Then she's got me selling my 2k for a Voyager. So really this is all her doing?? Now do I really love my new Voyager or am I allowing her to convince me that I do??? Thanks!!! Mr. Villa. I feel like Neo in the first Matrix movie. What's Real????:confused:

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
life n skooters, ride em like theys meant to be, hard n fast.

Whew...That really rocks the few brain cells I got left.:eek: Now do I really love my new Voyager or am I allowing her to convince me that I do?
that be affirmative. yes. go for it. live. love. life. long. to the very end my friend.
ps. forgot to add the mos portant part... laugh, make it a good one:)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bike and car models that are new usually go through some changes during the first two or three years of production. You might want to wait a couple of production seasons to see how they change or add to the bike after they get some feedback. If power is a complaint, they likely will address it in some manner.

If you are concerned with power but want a touring bike, get a Goldwing. They are really in a class by themselves. I test drove one and it rides as close to my sport bike in handling as any big bike I have ever ridden. Not exaggerating. And plenty of power.
I had an 06 wing in the driveway when I brought this beast home. Fortunately I was able to sell it.

Thanks guys ....all good posts and points. I like the practical comparison by some one who has had both. I honestly dont know if I can do it. I know after time I'd probably be good with it. Hard decision coming up

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
who's that driving your life.... er, wife?

I have an Air Hawk. She said she just felt safer on the wing, and she probably would feel similar on the 1700
kiker, she probably meant A wing. any wing. preferably w/somebody else driving it. not dressed like JC.;)

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
what was it they say about the company that we keep?

well, Taco Villa. I'll have you know that I only dress like this for you guys:D
mr.judge,honor,sir, we are most definately are afraid of that. out, taco cabana

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
got yer a 2fer ther.. on sale 2fer the price of 3.

I used to frequent Taco Villa and Taco Cabana. Did you ever see me there????
only visible with split vision... vision this.. me splitten out, ponch

ps. this here thread is 'fishaly jacked

1 - 18 of 18 Posts