Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So tonight I went to start up my bike after about a week of not riding. Initially the bike would not start but I resolved that problem as the battery was dead. After I got the bike fired up and running I discovered my left rear turn signal was not working, all my other signals and lights were working fine. I went to the store and bought a new bulb, but it still was not working. I'm still pretty new to the biking world and bikes so if anyone knows what my issue would be any suggestions would help. Also, I have a 2009 900 custom.

Thanks
Big Jay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Use contact cleaner to clean the socket, then apply electrical grease to the metal portion of bulb, then install it and see if this does it. Many 900s have this issue with turn signals. This seems to be the fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
308 Posts
@bigjaymoney
are you still with us? ;]

Take the light bulb out and using a finger push down on the springy contact plate inside the bulb's socket. It should travel freely and snap right back. Sometimes it gets stuck in an oblique position and doesn't make contact...
The same thing can be achieved by pulling the wires from under the rear fender. You want to compress that spring in the socket and have it snap back making a good contact. The spring compresses about 1/4 inch.
Water and dirt can get inside the turn signal from under the fender by the wires. Consider using silicone or grease, plastic tubing, whatever you decide, in order to make it water proof.

We are assuming the bulb is good and there is no rust in the socket.
The whole socket comes apart, it's just a awkward thing to do...

Be extra careful with the gasket around the lens. It needs to go all around. If it appears larger, tape to hold it in place. Using oily products will make it even softer and bigger.
If water gets in, it will ruin both the reflector and the bulb socket. Do not over tighten the 2 screws holding the lens. Not a strong plastic!

Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts