Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Left hot exhaust. How blue is too blue?

I went to look at a 2005 EN500c last night.The bike has 4500 miles and the person who had it clearly had not done any maintenance other than an oil change last year.

I just read a number of threads on this topic and I am left with a specific question.

Aside from the overall condition of the bike. The specific question is:
How much bluing of an exhaust pipe is cause for concern?
At what point do I go from being simply concerned with air fuel spark issues and carb synching, to being concerned with burned valves and cooked cylinders?

The bike ran fine. It needed a little choke to start cold but idled well and started easily when warm.

This was the very first EN500 I have ever seen in person so I do not have personal sense of previous experience from which to draw a conclusion. I am confident the owner never even noticed the coloration. :)

I will likely pass on this bike, but I want to have a better sense of this specific issue for the next one I look at in a few days. Obviously if it was mine, I could dig into it and sort it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
509 Posts
How does it look in comparison to the right one? At 4500 miles I really don't think you could damage this bike like that, but I'd be surprised. Depending on how it's been kept, it may not need much maintenance. Likely could be a good bike if it runs and drives well.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The right pipe is visible in the second photo, at least a little bit. It does not look very blue at all.
I conclude that it has not been nearly as hot on the right side.

Like I said, the bike has had no maintenance much at all. Original fluids except oil. It probably has the original plugs, etc.
I have no problem doing the maintenance to a bike I would buy, but I want to get a sense of how to judge/interpret this specific condition before buying a 500.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Don't be concerned about it, Vulcan 500 doesn't have high end super extra quality header pipes. It seems too much blue for me but you shouldn't be concerned about it. Left side was probably lean or carbs were not synced or is dirty. Best way to tell if engine is alright is to warm up the bike and test compression. That can tell you if there is any engine related problem that can be serious, but with 4.5k miles I think there is nothing seriously wrong with it (yet)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies.
I ultimately passed on that bike for many reasons.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts