Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my 2009 900 LT this October and it had 35W halogen bulbs in the light bar which is the limit for electrical add-ons. These will be running lights most of the time so I was thinking of replacing them with LED's and lightening the load on the stator.
I could change the headlight bulb from the stock 60/55W for a Wagner BP1210 80/100 and have better lighting with less load on the charging system. Good plan? Any other ideas welcome.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a 2008 900LT with the 35 watt lamps in the light bar and a 55 watt headlight.
Did think about changing the 55 watt to a higher wattage but was advised the 80/100 watt lamp generates to much heat and will cause problems with the lamp socket and the plastic lens and the wires may not be adequate for the increased current flow.
Now thinking about converting to HID lighting as current setup is not the best for night time riding.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have been running the nappa bp 1210 80/100 for several months now and have had any heat issues as of yet. My friend has been running it in his 900 for at least 1 year now also no issues. I also took the light bar off my 900 so I am not getting any additional draw from them.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have been running the nappa bp 1210 80/100 for several months now and have had any heat issues as of yet. My friend has been running it in his 900 for at least 1 year now also no issues. I also took the light bar off my 900 so I am not getting any additional draw from them.
Thanks for the information.
With the light bar removed, do you have ample lighting with just the low beam?
My problem is not enough light down the road with only the low beam and the light bar lights on.
I was thinking of wiring the light bar so the lights are on whether the low beam or the high beam light is on. This would give me the maximum benefit from the light bar and give me light in front of the bike and down the road.
I would really like to add HID lighting.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Honestly due to working like a darn fool most of my time is spent commuting on the slab and I run even there with the high beam on most of the time. Low beam is not horrible but for me creates a straight line cut off of the light that is not far enough out in front for me. I would love to put the light bar back on if for nothing other than I love how it looks but again with all the slab time the windshield has become necessary, and the light bar gets in the way when both are on.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Honestly due to working like a darn fool most of my time is spent commuting on the slab and I run even there with the high beam on most of the time. Low beam is not horrible but for me creates a straight line cut off of the light that is not far enough out in front for me. I would love to put the light bar back on if for nothing other than I love how it looks but again with all the slab time the windshield has become necessary, and the light bar gets in the way when both are on.
Then you have the wrong light bar or the wrong windshield. You should have enough room for both.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
A quick fix for better lighting is to use the wally world bullet lights. They cost about 30 bucks, (that's on the high side) and they provide the extra light you need to see the shoulders better at night. I've had mine mounted for almost 2 years now and have found them to be reliable and easy to fit in with my MS Batwing. I had a regular windshield at first, but they fit nicely with either.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, I will see how my lights look at night when spring gets here and go from there. Hid sounds like the way to go, putting in a unit with the same wattage would give ample light further down the road and the 35W Halogens in the light bar would be okay although I still don't like being at the limit for added electrical load. Maybe will find some H3 LED's and make life easier for the stator. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you should check this thread:

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22097

I've been doing a lot of research lately.
Thanks, I was reading your stuff too, learning my way around the forum (slowly). I ordered a 6" LED and the BackOff flasher from siriusjoe's postings on Dec. 9, received them Dec. 30, will install in the spring. Hopefully will help prevent getting run over at a stop light.
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16368&highlight=brake+light+flasher

·
Registered
176 Posts
Led

Just bought my 2009 900 LT this October and it had 35W halogen bulbs in the light bar which is the limit for electrical add-ons. These will be running lights most of the time so I was thinking of replacing them with LED's and lightening the load on the stator.
I could change the headlight bulb from the stock 60/55W for a Wagner BP1210 80/100 and have better lighting with less load on the charging system. Good plan? Any other ideas welcome.
Led's are great for rear lights and running lights, but they do not project light as a H3 bulb will, so if you want a brighter front light led's are not the way to go I have tried it.

Go here here thay have great information on it.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=/1157.htm

·
Registered
372 Posts
normal leds are not meant to have any reach/throw. but special led projectors make it possible.honestly i would avoid replacing bulbs like tail light and headlights with leds because normal bulbs are brighter.
IDK, what is the lumen produced but a standard 1157 incandescent bulb?

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&category=CAR&Page2Disp=/specs/115x-x3X1W.htm

That one states it puts out 35/105, 35 being running and 105 being brake. I'd be curious to see what the difference is between incandescent this light. It states 4w total power. If I can find out the difference I may know more of what I need to do for the alterations to my for a much more powerful unit for my bike. It doesn't say anything about the amperage of the bulb set though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you are going to replace your 1157 incandescent tail/brake light with an led to reduce power consumption and/or increase light output my experience with an led replacement bulb did not work because the light output in both the tail light mode and the brake light mode was almost the same so anyone following could not tell if I had applied the brakes or not.
I quickly went back to the 1157 bulb but I plan to add the led tail/brake license plate holder to get additional lighting.

This is an interesting thread because many people want more light (headlights and tail/brake lights) and reduce the electrical load on the charging system.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
reducing the load and also being able to increase lighting is hard. only time it actually works, is in hids. hids take an initial big starting load but after that become easier to run which lessens the load on the charging system. leds do lighten the load but actually do not provide enough light. why do you think car manufactures dont simply replace the incandescent bulbs with led bulbs because its not proper light, instead they build a whole new tail light with individual leds.

the only time the charging system will be hurt is if you are running a lot from the bike and then never charge your battery, which i guess most people dont do. on my sports bike, i charge my phone and sometimes power a gps off the battery additional to the already installed dual hids, strobe lights, air horns and all the normal stuff. and i know i will not hurt my charging system because the bike is on and everything is working. but when i get home i always put it on a battery tender to make sure the battery is fresh for the next ride and in the next ride i dont over power the charging system if by chance i used my bike battery too much.

·
Registered
372 Posts
reducing the load and also being able to increase lighting is hard. only time it actually works, is in hids. hids take an initial big starting load but after that become easier to run which lessens the load on the charging system. leds do lighten the load but actually do not provide enough light. why do you think car manufactures dont simply replace the incandescent bulbs with led bulbs because its not proper light, instead they build a whole new tail light with individual leds.

the only time the charging system will be hurt is if you are running a lot from the bike and then never charge your battery, which i guess most people dont do. on my sports bike, i charge my phone and sometimes power a gps off the battery additional to the already installed dual hids, strobe lights, air horns and all the normal stuff. and i know i will not hurt my charging system because the bike is on and everything is working. but when i get home i always put it on a battery tender to make sure the battery is fresh for the next ride and in the next ride i dont over power the charging system if by chance i used my bike battery too much.
You have a point about the rear taillights on cars, they do completely remake the tails in order to basically make an array of the LEDs to be able to provide enough light to cover the road properly. I know my WRX certainly has a lot of them but my brake lights are truly the brightest I've seen on just about any car but there certainly are a lot of them...

I'm actually trying to find the specs on the individual LEDs in my current tail lights on my car and if I can find that info I will at least have a good basis on what I will need to know for making some custom ones for my bike. I don't know the total load/draw the ones on my WRX amount to but it may end up surprising in the end. I'll have to see what happens.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts